the new term begins very soon. Hope you make a good

start with a bang!

I'd like to ask you about a 2-year provisional teacher's

licence of Thailand now.

The other foreign teacher at my school says that he's

going to move to another school by May 2016 in time

for the new term before his 2-year licence waiver

expires in June 2016 so that he can obtain a new

2 -year licence waiver at TCT in BKK, not an extension.

What he adds is you can always obtain a new 2-year waiver

if you move to another school every 2 years. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance!

If you have a bachelor's degree your employer, usually a school, will apply for a waiver which is issued by the TCT, valid for two years and can only be used in relation to your employment in the school that has applied for the waiver. Normally school's can get two of these waivers but the third and subsequent waivers depend on you being able to demonstrate the steps you are taking to obtain some sort of academic teaching qualification. A fair number of people fail to get third waivers because TCT does not consider the steps as adequate. Currently the various measures are up in the air - it's all done on a case by case basis. Some qualifications are acceptable, some not. It seems, for instance, as if online certificates and MOOCS are not.

In terms of changing schools, the new school applies on your behalf and there is the possibility of refusal if you are nearing the end of your second waiver and you have no evidence of continuing professional development to support your new application.

Hello bigt3116!

Thank you for your quick response!

What should I do with my 1st waiver if I moved to another school

but still got one year left before it expires? Should I go to TCT for

a new one that will expire in one year?

Hello gerryBScot!

Thank you for your info!

You mean I can teach in Thailand for at least 4 years on

the 1st and 2nd waivers, right?

What do you think would be the best bet to obtain the 3rd

waiver?

Would it be better to get an official teacher's licence of Thailand

that is good for 5 years, after taking a Thai culture course or

something?

Thank you!

For waivers your employer applies for you. The waiver is theirs. You leave the job, the waiver ceases to be valid. If you change jobs the waiver ceases to be valid. Your new school applies again on your behalf and if successful, you get a new waiver, a second one, with a two year validity.

If you have a bachelor's degree and a post graduate teaching certificate you can apply for a 5 year licence if you have the requisite experience. I have not yet applied for one but I believe an official in your school needs to confirm your employment. If granted, this licence is yours and you can use it in any school.

Hello gerryBScot!

Thank you for your info!

I have a bachelor's degree (of course) but haven't got

a post graduate teaching certificate yet. How can I get

a post graduate teaching certificate in Thailand?

Thank you.

You've got a range of options. Search this forum as there has been a fair amount of discussion of the options. It all comes down to what you want. Do you want to be able to stay in Thailand or do you want to be able to teach in other countries?

If option one, to stay in Thailand, do one of the certificate options which are offered by Thai/Philippine institutions - there are courses in BKK and you'll get details in this forum.

If option two, look to do a PGCEi from a Western institution that offers a blended learning programme - examples are the Sunderland and Nottingham PGCEi, both from the UK, and there are options from US and Australian institutions too. Please note these courses don't confer Qualified Teacher Status so you would not be able to teach in the UK with one but a number of international schools in the region and in Africa recognise them and allow you to teach with them.

Too-

You have several different options. Without doing any additional work for advancement, you will only be able to have your first waiver guaranteed. If you show any advancement whatsoever, you will be granted a second waiver.

Your waiver is school specific. Mine states exactly what school I may teach at, and that school only. If you transfer to a new school, you must apply for a new waiver from KSP / TCT. Your old one will be cancelled, and you will receive a new one (your second waiver, even if the first has NOT expired).

Acceptable progress that I have been advised of is: completing the Thai Culture Course (which has not been offered since last August - I am awaiting this myself). Taking the Thai teacher test and passing any section of it (I am waiting for this also, but the last test offered was May 2013, and nothing has been said since by TCT when it will recommence again). Obtaining a degree in Education. Working towards a degree in Education (or the area that you are teaching in, ie Biology if you are a science teacher).

Since we just got a new minister of Education 2 weeks ago, this may all change tomorrow, so don't hold your breath.

I have 1 year left on my second waiver, which I obtained with the results of passing 4 of the 9 sections of the Thai teacher test.

Now nothing is in the works for offering the Culture course that we need, nor is there any rumor of the Thai teacher test being reinstated for foreigners.

As was previously stated, do a PGCE through the UK, or like I am, work on a M.Ed. degree through the USA like I am. The University is accredited, so should be no problem to get the Thai teaching license waiver next year showing that I have satisfactory progress towards a Master of Education degree in English Language Learning (TESOL).

There are a few Universities in the USA that offer online Masters degrees in Education....Oregon State, Sam Houston State, American Public University etc.

The website I am getting mine through: http://www.apus.edu

Hope it helps!

I am sure this is covered elsewhere but: BA., DipEd., Adv Dip Ind Design., thirteen years teaching - all gained in Australia. But no TESOL. Would this be enough to obtain a Thai Teaching license?

Your DipEd is presumably a post graduate diploma in education? It should amply satisfy not having a TESOL qualification. Do you have classroom experience? If so you should be able to secure employment in International Schools where pay and conditions will generally reflect what a teacher can earn in their home county.

Absoluley 100% NO!

1st waiver at one school: Yes

2nd waiver at same school: Yes

2nd waiver at different school; Yes

3rd waiver at same school as first one: Yes / Maybe

3rd waiver at new school; Impossible.

Basically (if you don't have an Education degree or a PGCE) you have 4 - 6 years here. Don't marry anyone. Don't have any kids.

thumbsup.gif

Foreign teachers are here because of the demand for their services from Thai parents. And, not just any Thai parents, but the ones who have the money to pay a

high price for this imported talent. The Thai govt. and the TCT can draw a line anywhere they want. But if too many of the foreigners are standing on the wrong side of the line, the line will be moved. And the option of replacing all "unsuitable" foreigners isn't realistic either, the average qualification of their replacements would be no better than that of those departing. The best the Thai govt. can hope for is gradual improvement over time.

But if too many of the foreigners are standing on the wrong side of the line, the line will be moved. And the option of replacing all "unsuitable" foreigners isn't realistic either, the average qualification of their replacements would be no better than that of those departing.

I'm afraid that requires logic ... and subsequently, I'm not holding my breath.

Absoluley 100% NO!

Basically (if you don't have an Education degree or a PGCE) you have 4 - 6 years here. Don't marry anyone. Don't have any kids.

thumbsup.gif

I know several NES teachers who have been teaching here for 10+ years; at least two of them, maybe more, do not even have a degree. How are they able to stay on?

Absoluley 100% NO!

thumbsup.gif

I know several NES teachers who have been teaching here for 10+ years; at least two of them, maybe more, do not even have a degree. How are they able to stay on?

Why are you asking for answers on here when you could ask the teachers themselves .....I am sure there are a few on here would like to know and then once you've got the answers from them you could let everyone on here know how to teach in a school in Thailand.

Do they work at a university or language school?

Other possibility is part of that 10 years lies before 2008 when all this waiver crap was introduced. I myself have been here 8 years ... but my time is just about up. I'm afraid your friends days are numbered. Unless they are working illegally ... which also won't last forever.

Absoluley 100% NO!

thumbsup.gif

Your info is out of date. This was the state of play in 2013 & early 2014. I myself was granted a 3rd waiver at a different school last year, as was a colleague who had shown NO development. Members of the TTA forum have also reported that 4th waivers have recently been granted with NO development!

It really makes a mockery of the whole system & is making it harder for those of us with teaching licences to find decent work.

No...it's not out of date. There are ALWAYS exceptions here and there. This is Thailand. Although at the moment the TCT is in a state of Limbo. Nobody really knows what is going on .... yet.

thumbsup.gif

A lot of people are not working legally. Some are on a retirement visa or another type of non-O and are paid under the table.

I myself was granted a 3rd waiver at a different school last year

...is making it harder for those of us with teaching licences to find decent work.

Why did you get a third waiver if you have a license already?

blink.png

...is making it harder for those of us with teaching licences to find decent work.

blink.png

What about the teacher license being processed at the time the provisional teaching permit expired.

blink.png

I got my 3rd waiver when I started a new job in May. At that time I had passed the TCT tests but hadn't completed the culture course. I completed the culture course in August & was then granted the licence shortly after.

blink.png

What about the teacher license being processed at the time the provisional teaching permit expired.

I think I mentioned, in a recent previous post, that an active work permit is required for both taking the culture course & applying for the licence, therefore I would have needed the 3rd waiver anyway. smile.png

Absoluley 100% NO!

thumbsup.gif

Anyone employed, if I recall correctly, from June 2003 onwards was grandfathered. Several got their full licences at my school on this basis and some are still with us. I was employed previous to that, but the school managed to lose my 2006 licence, thus breaking the chain. Fortunately I did a teaching qualification over this period and got my full licence. All of us have degrees though. Not sure if that affected the grandfathering procedure back then. Doing my course was the best thing I ever did, after seeing all the hoops my colleagues have to jump through...

Absoluley 100% NO!

thumbsup.gif

Why are you asking for answers on here when you could ask the teachers themselves .....I am sure there are a few on here would like to know and then once you've got the answers from them you could let everyone on here know how to teach in a school in Thailand.

Gee, I thought I would ask here because so many posters are teachers. Did you walk to work, or bring your lunch?

Absoluley 100% NO!

thumbsup.gif

Anyone employed, if I recall correctly, from June 2003 onwards was grandfathered. Several got their full licences at my school on this basis and some are still with us. I was employed previous to that, but the school managed to lose my 2006 licence, thus breaking the chain. Fortunately I did a teaching qualification over this period and got my full licence. All of us have degrees though. Not sure if that affected the grandfathering procedure back then. Doing my course was the best thing I ever did, after seeing all the hoops my colleagues have to jump through...

I am such a case. I'm on my second licence, But as far as I know that isn't available for those without degrees.

I am sure this is covered elsewhere but: BA., DipEd., Adv Dip Ind Design., thirteen years teaching - all gained in Australia. But no TESOL. Would this be enough to obtain a Thai Teaching license?

Your DipEd is presumably a post graduate diploma in education? It should amply satisfy not having a TESOL qualification. Do you have classroom experience? If so you should be able to secure employment in International Schools where pay and conditions will generally reflect what a teacher can earn in their home county.

Thanks for the reply - I was a bit concerned.

Yes, my experience is all classroom based. And my Diploma is a Post Grad Dip. So looks as though that should cover things. Busy learning Thai at the moment. I can read far better than speak the language. can't wait to get out of my current contract and get to Thailand.

Archived