A 2-year provisional teacher's licence of Thailand

Too

I am sure this is covered elsewhere but: BA., DipEd., Adv Dip Ind Design., thirteen years teaching - all gained in Australia. But no TESOL. Would this be enough to obtain a Thai Teaching license?

Your DipEd is presumably a post graduate diploma in education? It should amply satisfy not having a TESOL qualification. Do you have classroom experience? If so you should be able to secure employment in International Schools where pay and conditions will generally reflect what a teacher can earn in their home county.

Thanks for the reply - I was a bit concerned.

Yes, my experience is all classroom based. And my Diploma is a Post Grad Dip. So looks as though that should cover things. Busy learning Thai at the moment. I can read far better than speak the language. can't wait to get out of my current contract and get to Thailand.

You might want to ensure you get some form of written confirmation of previous teaching experience from school(s) you have worked : basically a reference. Also details of your registration with your home country education authority. These will enable you to apply for a full teacher's licence with a five year validity though perhaps as a new arrival and new start you may have to rely initially on a waiver for the purposes of getting visas and wor permits. I think it takes 2-3 months for full licence to be issued.

With qualifications and experience you will undoubtedly be able to work in international schools in both Thailand and further afield. There is a thread in this forum which makes it clear what a mixed bag these schools can be. They include the best schools in Thailand and others which are not quite so good. Don't let the name 'international' fool you.

Good luck1

Archived