Goat Meat in Bangkok

gerry67

Hi,

Could anyone point me in the right direction for buying goat meat in Bangkok. I will be staying in the area close to the British embassy. So somewhere close to there would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerry

Most fresh markets in Moslem areas have it. Unfortunately, that means it's halal.

It's definitely available at Bang Rak Market near the Baan Uu mosque. Close to BTS Saphan Thaksin (but I think that BTS station may now be closed).

Alternatively, you could ask Moslem restaurants in your area where they get their meat from. It might be more local to you.

whistling.gif I doubt you can find this anywhere in Bangkok, but in Italian baby Goat meat is called Capretto.

As with Veal which is young cows you only need one male for many females in a herd, baby Male Goats are often slaughtered very young and young Goat meat, Capretto, is considered a delicacy as is Veal.

Most calves born are roughly 50-50 male and female

But as I said both Cattle and Goats need far more females than males in a herd to maintain the herd, few young male Goats or calves survive their first few months, but they end up as Veal or Capretto.in the supermarket freezer.

• 4 months later...

Its pretty good. Like real lean lamb. I bought a whole goat and they slaughterd it and dressed it. worked our to about 200b a kilo.Used half for middle eastern recipes and the other for western ones......

I spent lots of time on Sumatra in the mid-1990's where satay kambing or goat-on-skewers was a big deal. The goats there were pygmy goats not the full-size goat.

went on holliday to the greek island of kos,gee wiz they know how to cook goat and lamb.couldnt tell the difference.

the wife only knew when she counted the number of goats in the field by our appartment.there's one missing she said,yep we had it for dinner.

Archived