Fingerprints at cambodian border?

I'm thinking of doing a border run to either the Ban Pakard / Pailin or Ban Laem / Daun Lem crossing. Last I heard, they don't take fingerprints there, but the information is several years old.

Has anybody crossed the border there in the past few years? And did they take your fingerprints or the fingerprints of other people crossing? What is the most recent situation at those crossings?

Thanks!

It's Cambodian immigration that I'm asking about. They take fingerprints at the airports, and at the Poipet and Koh Kong borders. But last I heard, several years ago, they don't take fingerprints at the other 4 land crossings with Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's Cambodian immigration that I'm asking about. They take fingerprints at the airports, and at the Poipet and Koh Kong borders. But last I heard, several years ago, they don't take fingerprints at the other 4 land crossings with Thailand.

They may , they may not, they may be planning to do so !

The same question arises

What is the concern about fingerprints ?

Me & my missus had our fingerprints scanned at Poipet Immigration going into Cambodia in March this year on a short trip to Siem Reap.

OOps sorry, didn't read the thread properly before replying.......my bad....

The only reason I can think of why a traveller would be concerned about having his fingerprints taken at a border crossing is that his fingerprints do not match those registered on the chip of the passport he is using.

I entered Cambodia and returned to Thailand immediately on the second of a two-entry tourist visa through the Aran/Poipet border post last February. Going out of Thailand and entering Cambodia I was not scanned, but re-entering Thailand I noticed that some foreigners before me were being scanned - I presume they were those who had been scanned on entering through other points of entry. I was neither scanned entering nor exiting Cambodia at Poipet.

I entered Cambodia and returned to Thailand immediately on the second of a two-entry tourist visa through the Aran/Poipet border post last February. Going out of Thailand and entering Cambodia I was not scanned, but re-entering Thailand I noticed that some foreigners before me were being scanned - I presume they were those who had been scanned on entering through other points of entry. I was neither scanned entering nor exiting Cambodia at Poipet.

That is interesting. A similar thing happened to me in Malaysia a few years ago. Everybody in front of me had their fingerprints taken, including foreigners, both upon entering and leaving the country, but when it was my turn, they didn't take my fingerprints at all. I suspect it has to do with what country your passport is from. I was using a Canadian passport. I suspect the Canadian government pushes some countries not to fingerprint their citizens. Do you mind mentioning which country your passport is from?

That is interesting. A similar thing happened to me in Malaysia a few years ago. Everybody in front of me had their fingerprints taken, including foreigners, both upon entering and leaving the country, but when it was my turn, they didn't take my fingerprints at all. I suspect it has to do with what country your passport is from. I was using a Canadian passport. I suspect the Canadian government pushes some countries not to fingerprint their citizens. Do you mind mentioning which country your passport is from?

Do you really think that Asian countries give a flying fart about what foreign governments think ?

Canada is so highly regarded in Asia that Laos charges it's citizens US$42 for a visa !!

I crossed into Cambodia early April on my Kawasaki heading to Siem Reap. I was assigned my own Cambodian Immigration Officer, probably because I was on a bike and they don't seem to see many of these. After he got my visa etc., he told me to get into a line with all the backpackers. Each one of those was fingerprinted, but when I offered my fingers they declined.....now I am traveling on a U.S. passport though I have no idea if that makes a difference. Returning 30 days later I was fined a 1000 baht by the Thai guys for being one day late....I think it was for the motorcycle.....I would have thought that you and the bike could stay out of the country as long as you like? I have the retirement visa thing, but they only stamped me in until August 2015 is this correct? When I returned from Malaysia in March it was good until March 2016. Did the guy just make a mistake? And if so what do I need to do to get back on track?

I crossed into Cambodia early April on my Kawasaki heading to Siem Reap. I was assigned my own Cambodian Immigration Officer, probably because I was on a bike and they don't seem to see many of these. After he got my visa etc., he told me to get into a line with all the backpackers. Each one of those was fingerprinted, but when I offered my fingers they declined.....now I am traveling on a U.S. passport though I have no idea if that makes a difference.

Which border crossing was this? Was it Poipet? Pailin? Daun Lem?

Some people asking why is the OP concerned about his fingerprints being taken....I should imagine that he is far from lightly going to answer that question on a public forum now.....is he?

Some people simply have issues with the amount of personal information that governments seem hell bent to collect these days. And biometrics are even more sensitive. Personally, I feel that requiring fingerprints simply to travel is unreasonable.

Some people asking why is the OP concerned about his fingerprints being taken....I should imagine that he is far from lightly going to answer that question on a public forum now.....is he?

Some people simply have issues with the amount of personal information that governments seem hell bent to collect these days. And biometrics are even more sensitive. Personally, I feel that requiring fingerprints simply to travel is unreasonable.

What??? You think an anal cavity search of innocent people is unreasonable? What are you hiding in there!? Now hand over your photograph, fingerprints, iris prints, anal prints, and genital prints, so that we can add them to our unhackable internet database.

I'm not surprised at the number of people who became suspicious of me for not wanting to hand over my fingerprints to strangers. It's the same story everywhere I mention that I don't want to be fingerprinted. If a border agent wants my name, photograph, and fingerprints, why don't they give me their names, photographs and fingerprints first? What are they hiding??? They must be criminals or something. Now why would I hand over my fingerprints to criminals?

offtopic2.gif.pagespeed.ce.kcjFR6YG46f_isorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRMpIEuy7H

Don't see any problems with giving fingerprints. First time 7 years ago in Bangkok Embassy getting a new passport.

Let them build a database. It will help catch criminals. Who could be against that, unless you have something to hide.

They can also have my DNA.

Can not chip me, my limit is there

Last time I went to Cambodia I was waved on because late last year I went to Siem Reap with a new

passport and prints were taken. I have a U.S.passport. I'm not making border runs. In front of me Italians were printed and someone in front of them was printed. If Cambodian records show you were previously printed no need to print again.

If you've entered Malaysia previously, they already have you flagged on their database as not being required to re-enter. Our passports expired last year and we got new ones - had to do the fingerprint scan again the first time we entered Malaysia on the new passports but not on subsequent visits.

I think the more of this the better - if it stops people with nefarious intentions travelling around the world, or at least attracts attention to those people, it's a good move as far as I'm concerned.

I've never seen anyone taking fingerprints at Cambodia airports ... nor heard of such. Have you actually seen this?

The only reason I can think of why a traveller would be concerned about having his fingerprints taken at a border crossing is that his fingerprints do not match those registered on the chip of the passport he is using.

Or he/she is a fugitive and in fear of being discovered.

I've never heard of one's fingerprints being registered on a passport chip. What country does this?

What kind of scans are you talking about? Fingerprints? Face? Eyes?

Do you really think that Asian countries give a flying fart about what foreign governments think ?

Canada is so highly regarded in Asia that Laos charges it's citizens US$42 for a visa !!

I'd say every country in the world cares about what foreign governments think. In fact, there's a world-wide multi-billion dollar intelligence industry working 24/7 gathering info on what other government's think.

Archived