Fingerprints at cambodian border?

Humanoid

I'm thinking of doing a border run to either the Ban Pakard / Pailin or Ban Laem / Daun Lem crossing. Last I heard, they don't take fingerprints there, but the information is several years old.

Has anybody crossed the border there in the past few years? And did they take your fingerprints or the fingerprints of other people crossing? What is the most recent situation at those crossings?

Thanks!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know Thai immigration does not do fingerprints at any border crossing or airport. It is something they have planned but not done yet.

Why would you be concerned about it?

It's Cambodian immigration that I'm asking about. They take fingerprints at the airports, and at the Poipet and Koh Kong borders. But last I heard, several years ago, they don't take fingerprints at the other 4 land crossings with Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's Cambodian immigration that I'm asking about. They take fingerprints at the airports, and at the Poipet and Koh Kong borders. But last I heard, several years ago, they don't take fingerprints at the other 4 land crossings with Thailand.

They may , they may not, they may be planning to do so !

The same question arises

What is the concern about fingerprints ?

Me & my missus had our fingerprints scanned at Poipet Immigration going into Cambodia in March this year on a short trip to Siem Reap.

OOps sorry, didn't read the thread properly before replying.......my bad....

The only reason I can think of why a traveller would be concerned about having his fingerprints taken at a border crossing is that his fingerprints do not match those registered on the chip of the passport he is using.

I entered Cambodia and returned to Thailand immediately on the second of a two-entry tourist visa through the Aran/Poipet border post last February. Going out of Thailand and entering Cambodia I was not scanned, but re-entering Thailand I noticed that some foreigners before me were being scanned - I presume they were those who had been scanned on entering through other points of entry. I was neither scanned entering nor exiting Cambodia at Poipet.

I entered Cambodia and returned to Thailand immediately on the second of a two-entry tourist visa through the Aran/Poipet border post last February. Going out of Thailand and entering Cambodia I was not scanned, but re-entering Thailand I noticed that some foreigners before me were being scanned - I presume they were those who had been scanned on entering through other points of entry. I was neither scanned entering nor exiting Cambodia at Poipet.

That is interesting. A similar thing happened to me in Malaysia a few years ago. Everybody in front of me had their fingerprints taken, including foreigners, both upon entering and leaving the country, but when it was my turn, they didn't take my fingerprints at all. I suspect it has to do with what country your passport is from. I was using a Canadian passport. I suspect the Canadian government pushes some countries not to fingerprint their citizens. Do you mind mentioning which country your passport is from?

That is interesting. A similar thing happened to me in Malaysia a few years ago. Everybody in front of me had their fingerprints taken, including foreigners, both upon entering and leaving the country, but when it was my turn, they didn't take my fingerprints at all. I suspect it has to do with what country your passport is from. I was using a Canadian passport. I suspect the Canadian government pushes some countries not to fingerprint their citizens. Do you mind mentioning which country your passport is from?

Do you really think that Asian countries give a flying fart about what foreign governments think ?

Canada is so highly regarded in Asia that Laos charges it's citizens US$42 for a visa !!

Archived