AA Beginners Meeting - protocol etc.

corkman

Dear All,

I've finally given up denying I've got a problem. I'm going to go to an AA meeitng. According to the website, the next begineers meeting ("Nana 830" group) is at Ekkamai at 8.30pm Sunday evening. I can but assume that this is the appropraite starting point for a first-timer? Presumably the group is suitable to an english speaking westerner?

I feel a bit nervous going there. Not sure should a friend "walk me to the door" or is that innapproriate (keeping the A in anonymous).

Also, when I get there - will it be obvious where I have to go? Will there be a sign or seomthing? Or do I need to ask someone?

Many thanks in advance.

No protocol at all. Just show up.

Can't say I've been to that particular meeting. But PM me if you want someone to walk you in to that one or any other in BKK.

BTW, beginners are the most important people in every AA meeting. Don't hesitate to walk into any meeting (except maybe women's meetings)

BTW, still very willing to walk you into any meeting in town, but here's some excellent directions to the Nana 830 Group, from the AA Thailand website:

Taxi Instructions:
Take Taxi to Bourbon Street Restaurant. Just before restaurant on Sukhumvit side, turn left and walk past the Bourbon Street Building. Meeting is in Recovery Club behind the frosted glass. Looking at the photo, The building on the right is the Bourbon Street Restaurant. The building to the left of it, under the awning, is an apartment building with the club in it. Club is on the ground floor, behind the frosted glass. Meeting Day: Sunday
Meeting Day:
Friday
Meeting Start Time:
1900 hrs
Meeting Type:
Leaders Choice
Open/Closed:
Open
Meeting Language:
English

Dear All,

Thanks to each of you for your replies and encouragement. I've taken the first step, and went to the meeting last night - and I am very pleased that I did. I will be going again.

Best regards,

CM

Thanks for letting us know.

The new comer like yourself are the life blood of AA. As us oldies drop off our perch.

Good luck for your future life of sobriety and remember "Keep it Simple"

Dear All,

Thanks to each of you for your replies and encouragement. I've taken the first step, and went to the meeting last night - and I am very pleased that I did. I will be going again.

Best regards,

CM

I just love that meeting. The oysters around the corner are pretty cool too.

Anyway, welcome home brother.

Early on, I went to 3-4 meetings a day for many months because I couldn't afford treatment. I think that habbit saved this life.

My life is so good now...

Mom used to say, "Life isn't fair son". And now I'm damn glad of it. I surely can't deserve this wonderful life I've been given.

I got incredible hope early on when the old timers told me stuff like this;

• Don't drink no matter *<deleted> what
  • No person, no place, and no thing - can EVER make you take a drink again
  • Take this chance at sobriety and run with it like you stole it

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Things are going quite well for me. I go to meetings on/off. In the last 9 months I've been sober for a solid 6-7. I had a bit of a lapse December / January, where I deluded myself to thinking that I was cured and could just have a few social drinks. FAIL. So I'm trying to get back in the program. Notwithstanding recent lapses, I am in a far better place now than I was 9 months ago, both mentally and physically (and financially). AA has been a huge help for me. It opened my eyes and my mind to alternative ways to view life.

Still in Bangkok.

Hi everyone.

Things are going quite well for me. I go to meetings on/off. In the last 9 months I've been sober for a solid 6-7. I had a bit of a lapse December / January, where I deluded myself to thinking that I was cured and could just have a few social drinks. FAIL. So I'm trying to get back in the program. Notwithstanding recent lapses, I am in a far better place now than I was 9 months ago, both mentally and physically (and financially). AA has been a huge help for me. It opened my eyes and my mind to alternative ways to view life.

Still in Bangkok.

AS they say, sometimes a slip prevents a fall - all the best!

Hi everyone.

Still in Bangkok.

AS they say, sometimes a slip prevents a fall - all the best!

That's an excellent perspective!

Archived