Chilli's 1 Rai How Much For Revenue

gtstommy37

Nice link issangeorge, i've put it in the links section.

Anyone growing chilli, the stats from that link look very impresive.

2003 stats ( the most up to date)

267 kg/rai and a market price of 64.24 baht/kg that works out at just over 17,000 bhat/rai

On the face of it thats pretty impresive, I wonder what the growing costs are. Planting, fertiliser ect

The other one that stood out was pepper 53,700 bhat/rai

I went to the price link to see why the farm price for chilli was so high. The chilli they quote data for is called prik yai which means big chilli and neither my wife nor I know exactly what variety this might be. We raised a few chilli plants last year and sold the chillis in the 5baht to 10baht range which my wife says is typical....the variety we grew is called prik noom and is a common variety grown around here. My wife says she can't imagine paying 60 baht for chillies when buying them retail at the market...much less selling them wholesale at that price....

Could that be for dried chilli powder (per kg?) as opposed to fresh market chillie?

Tim

I went to the price link to see why the farm price for chilli was so high. The chilli they quote data for is called prik yai which means big chilli and neither my wife nor I know exactly what variety this might be. We raised a few chilli plants last year and sold the chillis in the 5baht to 10baht range which my wife says is typical....the variety we grew is called prik noom and is a common variety grown around here. My wife says she can't imagine paying 60 baht for chillies when buying them retail at the market...much less selling them wholesale at that price....

Looking at the chilli yields I reckon Tim is right about the OAE prices being of dried chilli not fresh.

Labour for picking chillies is the costly part - especially if you're talking about the small "prik kee noo" (mouse shit) varieties - there are a lot of chillies in a kilogram! :D

I think most of the yields shown in the OAE data are on the low side because they are averages and your average Thai farmer is not a very good farmer. The good farmers will get higher yields and higher prices. They will get higher prices because they will produce good quality and they will produce in the season when prices are high, while your average farmer will produce regardless of when supply is low and demand high. That's just my opinion.

Price of sweet peppers (prik waan, capsicum) are high but they are difficult to grow, especially in the lowlands; they prefer the cooler temperatures of the highlands. I once heard that in the north there Dutch people growing them in greenhouses using modern Dutch technology.

Sources of price information for fruits and veg in Thailand include the following:

http://www.thaifruitnews.com/index.php

http://www.taladthai.com

http://www.foodmarketexchange.com

Some of the price information services are free :D others you have to subscribe. :o