BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lostinisaan

What does your new contract look like, or did they keep their promises?

Yeah when I first started some of the other guys were looking into social security, I was never really concerned and preferred to simply get my full pay cheque (I didn't really understand how it worked, and when I was single wasn't too fussed anyway. Now that I've got a wife & son who'd be covered as well, it makes more sense to get it though).

I'm afraid to let you know that your wife and baby won't be covered. But it works the way around pretty well.

You can ask for 400 baht for your child and will pay 750 baht per month. So does your employer.And you'll get paid 500 baht per year for dentist bills.

When a Thai teacher marries a foreigner, the foreigner is automatically covered through her insurance.

But that doesn't work for us, I've tried it a few times. But when you read the laws and regulations, you'd think foreigners would be included. They aren't.

I really thought about taking this issue to court, my neighbor is a good lawyer and would be interested.

It's worth a try. If it works for me, then they have to accept others as well.Time to fight for our rights. thumbsup.gif

If it wouldn't cover my wife/son, then I probably wouldn't bother with it (But I'll check it out more to see what other benefits there are & whether it'd be worth the hassle of setting it up).

Seems weird if it would cover families for Thai employees but not for foreign employees.

WhamBam, I've removed the first picture, and would ask that you also please redact the name of the agency (+ director). As although your post doesn't break the rules, I have a pretty good idea of the posts to come, which will then cause this thread to breach the defamation/libel/slander laws (So by removing the names, I won't need to remove derogatory comments regarding the director/agency).

In reply to your post:

Your contract won't apply to April, so don't expect to be paid then (Your visa will likely finish on the 31st of March too btw).

Also in general, I couldn't see how much you were being paid, but assuming you're only on a standard salary (~30k per month) it's a pretty raw deal. Also it doesn't specify your contact hours, which opens you up to exploitation, as they could tell you to teach 25 or 30 periods a week, and you would just have to accept it (or quit).

Likewise the tax clause isn't clear, you likely wouldn't be required to pay any income tax (Or if you do, it'll be less than 3% of your total salary), since you're not working for a full calendar year, but 2 part years. Many teachers just do their tax manually, thus I don't know if deducting PAYE is mandatory or not for agencies, and it won't save you any extra work, as you'd need to file a tax return regardless in order to try and get a tax rebate.

The cancellation clause is pretty crap, particularly without any idea on what the working conditions or hours will be like. Also losing pay because you're sick, and not having any personal leave, is likely in contravention of Thai labour laws (And not giving you paid visa run days is simply lame).

My advice would be to apply at a government school. I know of one in RoiEt which is looking for 2x teachers for their gifted program (Or at least were looking as of last week), if you send me a PM I can put you in touch with someone from their school (From memory, 30k salary, 11 month contracts, with sickdays etc included, and the salary is negotiable if you have good qualifications/experience. Sickdays will be included, but I think it's 18 contact hours per week but am not sure about that, or about who pays for WP/Visa etc).

Now with a little more time to reply....

I appreciate your diligence in noting I had not redacted the name of the agency and the ladies name in the text itself. Thanks for that.

Though I am not an English teacher, I am a qualified Rugby Union coach and have coached many children in schools. I am also an author for books aimed at children with reading difficulties.

My main interest in the English teaching here is my Filipino g/f and some other friends are English teachers. And I like to try and keep abreast of their interests and those of others, be they NES or otherwise. And discussions of this type that LostIn writes about do arise.

You make some very salient points ragards this contract and I do agree with your viewpoint.

As I said in an earlier reply to LostIn, this is not my contract, but one of 3 contracts recently signed by 3 teachers. Personally, I do believe the contracts are badly written and in the U.K. for example they could be ripped to shreds, but this is Thailand and things work differently here as many of us know.

To me, this contract does not state the teacher(s) will not be paid for the holidays, neither does it state they will be paid.

Quote - "Decuctions will be made to the teachers salary for any missed days, whatever the reason illness, personal, visa run etc. (no work no pay)."

Is a holiday a missed day? Surely not.

I am interested in the comment you made about the sick days and personal days and possibly being in contravention of the Thai labour laws.Your comment about exploitation of hours is also a good one amongst others you have made.

All in all you (we) have started something that will be being discussed over the coming days.

As an aside, the g/f has a Masters degree in Medicine. A nurse for 15 years and also a Nurse teacher. Worked in Honk Kong and China. Yet when talking to a local Memorial hospital they offered her a job as a nurse assistant!!

It seems to me people are not really valued in many ways here.

Apologies if I am seeming to encroach on LIA's topic, but this mainly being about contracts, I'm also eager to see if others respond with their views too.

I believe that >personal days< and>sick days< are covered by Thai labour law. My own employers has both in the contract and they don't like to throw money away...

Something else to look into. (Gives me something to do). Thanks for that :-)

Many agencies have their own thinking and rules about personal and sick days often quite contrary to Thai law.

Another reason not to sign with an agency.

Many agencies have their own thinking and rules about personal and sick days often quite contrary to Thai law.

Another reason not to sign with an agency.

So I see, from what I have read and understand in the Thai Labour Laws relating to sick days.

And agencies are not above the law, though some might like to feel they are.

"Employees are entitled by law to thirty days of sick leave per year, (206) to be paid at the regular rate of pay. However, an employee

must provide a first-class medical certificate when the illness exceeds three days. The employer must be notified if the employee is unable to

consult a first class physician. When an employer provides a physician, this physician shall issue the certificate after an examination."

This as stated in the 'Thailands Labor and Employment Law- Balancing the Demands'.

How accurate a translation into English this document is, I am not sure. Yet if it is a true translationn then it seems some agencies and others ARE making up their own rules or simply omitting the facts in the hope that the employees are and will remain ignorant of the Thai Labour Law.

Yeah when I first started some of the other guys were looking into social security, I was never really concerned and preferred to simply get my full pay cheque (I didn't really understand how it worked, and when I was single wasn't too fussed anyway. Now that I've got a wife & son who'd be covered as well, it makes more sense to get it though).

I'm afraid to let you know that your wife and baby won't be covered. But it works the way around pretty well.

You can ask for 400 baht for your child and will pay 750 baht per month. So does your employer.And you'll get paid 500 baht per year for dentist bills.

When a Thai teacher marries a foreigner, the foreigner is automatically covered through her insurance.

But that doesn't work for us, I've tried it a few times. But when you read the laws and regulations, you'd think foreigners would be included. They aren't.

I really thought about taking this issue to court, my neighbor is a good lawyer and would be interested.

It's worth a try. If it works for me, then they have to accept others as well.Time to fight for our rights. thumbsup.gif

Before you try to take the Thai government to court, as if, there is something you, and surprisingly, your lawyer should know.

Thai government teachers do not belong to the Social Security scheme. Their health care is totally different, and yes, includes their family. Thai social security covers only the card holder. It does not discriminate against sex or nationality.

Another note...Child care is only until the child goes to school. I think the age that the benefit stops is 5 years old. The unemployment benefit is a fixed daily amount for 90 days and not a fixed monthly amount for 1 year.

Yup, my school has kept their promises and they don't make me do half of what is written in the contract. smile.png