How Long Was Your Electricity Out Last Night ?

krikrik

We had no power from around 11 pm to 6 am. I could hear people working through the night.

We have had some brief outages before but nothing this long. How often does this tend to happen ?

*If you slept through it all, be cautious about what you eat from your frige !

We had no power from around 11 pm to 6 am. I could hear people working through the night.

We have had some brief outages before but nothing this long. How often does this tend to happen ?

*If you slept through it all, be cautious about what you eat from your frige !

I live behind the Chiang Mai Phucome hotel and our leccy went off for about 20 minutes from about 11 - it went off again for a couple of minutes at about 2.

After ours came on, the power at CMU failed for about 15 mins.

Whoopee, a power outage in Chiang Mai.

I have not lived here very long.

An hour or so does not matter, but 7-8 hours means you need to throw out perishable foods. So, if you have lived here for a while, may I ask how often these lengthy outages tend to happen ?

An hour or so does not matter, but 7-8 hours means you need to throw out perishable foods. So, if you have lived here for a while, may I ask how often these lengthy outages tend to happen ?

Don't throw away any foods...

Don't throw away any foods...

We had to. You could smell the stuff that had gone off. As I said, the power was off for 7-8 hours.

If your food goes bad after a 7-8 hour power outage, you need a decent fridge.

Agreed.

Keep your fridge door shut and the insulation should keep stuff ok for hours.

I can keep perishable shopping in the boot of my car for about 3 or 4 hours - in direct sunshine - and they are always ok!

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

Yes, we did make the mistake of opening the fridge, not expecting the power to be off for so long.

I found that some dips (baba ganoush, taziki) from Jerusalem Felafel had gone off. They don't contain preservatives. That told me to be cautious. I'd throw out milk, for example, just to be safe.

put perishable stuff into the freezer compartment and cover it with frozen stuff.Put your beer in there too. :D

The turn the stereo on loud so that when the power comes back on you hear the music as an alarm clock to know tht you have to move your food back into the chiller section of the fridge.

My condolonces on your loss last night, I'm sure it was very traumatic for those westerners from the more pampered continents :o

Chaing Mai samaritans are waiting for any calls from individuals unable to come to terms with thier loss. :D

I live around LakeLand, and last night was okay. I think it was Thursday that the power was off for over 5 hours, the longest in the few months we've been back.

Agreed, if you keep your cooler section around 4 degrees C and your freezer well below freezing, it should be no problem. However, I recall reading that perishables that have been in and out, like warmed-over food and leftovers, have a tendency to go bad much faster.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov says,

"Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. "

I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to ingesting bacteria.

Two fridges are best…one for the foodstuff - nothing lasts long enough here to go off. The other fridge is for the beer and if kept fully stocked the chill factor from the cans will keep it all nice and cold for a full on session to calm the nerves whilst sitting in the dark waiting for the power to return…. :o:D

Whoopee, a power outage in Chiang Mai. :D

Whas the power on then?

Black Rose you write like you have had a few....... what is your question, was the power on when it went off ????

But let me say this here..... on the east side of the river on Thanon Charoenrat, on this past Friday, some one from the electric company came by and actually told me that the power would be off on Monday from approx 9AM to about 3PM.

THIS IS A FIRST !!!! THANK YOU ELECTRIC COMPANY Maybe there is hope afterall...

After reading all day how the food would go bad if the lights blink, and the danger of bacteria, I spent the past 12 hrs eating and drinking everything in all of my refrigs.

I don't know if this is a oxymoron or not, if so its a doozy.......... living in Chiang Mai and/or Thailand and being worried about bacteria..????????

:o:D

After reading all day how the food would go bad if the lights blink, and the danger of bacteria, I spent the past 12 hrs eating and drinking everything in all of my refrigs.

What a great solution - I'm off to do the same but it may take more than 12 hours... :o

What a great solution - I'm off to do the same but it may take more than 12 hours... :o

:D:D Wh .. Wh.... Buuuuurrrrp Why ????? u onna diet ?????? :D:D

But let me say this here..... on the east side of the river on Thanon Charoenrat, on this past Friday, some one from the electric company came by and actually told me that the power would be off on Monday from approx 9AM to about 3PM.

THIS IS A FIRST !!!! THANK YOU ELECTRIC COMPANY Maybe there is hope afterall...

Indeed, excellent.

.. living in Chiang Mai and/or Thailand and being worried about bacteria..????????

I don't knowingly eat rotten food. (Nor were you planning to.)

Chiang Mai is positively sterile in comparison to other some places I have lived :o .

Edited by krikrik

Not the tiniest powerloss for several months around here --- I know for sure because during daytimes a couple of UPS's will beep loudly if no supply and during the nighttime our bedroom fan will stop, if no supply, and not start until we manually restart it ... so Chiang Mai really isn't that bad as far as steady power supply goes (at least not when seen from here).

Perishable foods (frozen) will keep at least 48 hours in a half decent freezer and things like milk, butter, yoghurt etc., will be no problem in a decent refrigerator.

On the frequency of the outages, the last decent one (more than a day) was August 2005

No power outage for me yesterday...

Has a scary moment though when UBC lost its signal due to heavy rain, with only an hour or so to spare before the Formula 1 Race, and then Battlestar Galactica on Cinemax.

Fortunately this story had a happy ending and the signal came back minutes later.

It's tough living in the 3rd world innit.

No power outage for me yesterday...

Has a scary moment though when UBC lost its signal due to heavy rain, with only an hour or so to spare before the Formula 1 Race, and then Battlestar Galactica on Cinemax.

Fortunately this story had a happy ending and the signal came back minutes later.

It's tough living in the 3rd world innit.

So who won - Michael Schumacher, or the aliens ? :o