new business in cr

tom07

No one is knocking those guys. You continue to have an overactive imagination and a very negative bias toward me. You seem to be working overtime with your pot stirring today but can't get anyone to bite. I admire your persistence, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Well those guys no longer use this forum, and that's why they don't bite n'est-ce pas.

But I'm interested in why someone who has no business experience, and little work experience, considers his opinion to be useful on this topic.

Crusade?

Wow, not at all. This thread is about business; I would welcome a long-time guy like you to contribute.

For example, Don has given some sharp insights into the realities of doing business here, just as one would expect from someone who has done business here in T-L for 30/40 years plus.

If you have personal experience please share, really.

Thanks.

The important thing about business in Chiang Rai is how the situation is changing with more young educated Thais moving here and starting up small businesses. These people represent a good potential market for those who have what they are looking for. If I were going to business again I would seek out some of the new comers and have a talk with them. Chiang Rai will change a lot in the next 10 years. The quality of life here is what people are seeking along with opportunities.

Again, I agree with your analysis Don. Most farangs are completely outside of that loop, ie the educated Thai loop.

But I would also say that there are quite a few older farangs doing good business here. They tend to be well-integrated into Thai society and don't spend time on forums. Their businesses are not generally related to tourist or farang needs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been successful in business here so far, although I was really hoping to just relax and "chill" on the beach when I initially "retired" here.

It seems to me that there quite a few people on TV just "trading" on the fact that they have been here a long time; wow, so what,my maternal grandma has been here longer than any of them, as have the trees in my garden.

My success is based on 3 things: my experience and education; my Thai partners' experience and education; luck (and judgement).

Wow rjb why so negative?

Don, I'm sure a man of yr experience will understand why I won't put my whole cv on a forum which is more oriented to helping decade long expats finding their way to burger bars rather than discussing economics.

Sorry Don, there seems to have been a ToT

network problem this evening.

Yes, I work with a work permit, and always have done, and I admire people like you who do the same.

I have also received awards from the Thai government for services to the community.

I would love to meet up with similar folk, ie those who respect and contribute to Thai society.

To the best of my knowledge there is no forum for such persons to meet (and yes, I am aware of the current range of expat clubs).

In the old days the Rotary Club in Bangkok was a good place to meet interesting people. William Heinecke and other noted businessmen attended back then.

They had their functions at the hotel where I worked at the time and the general manager delegated attendance of their meetings and luncheons to me so I saw a lot of those guys. That was a very long time ago and I have no idea who attends these days.
Thai organizations might be your best bet for meeting the kind of people you seem to be interested in. I only joined groups I was invited to, so I am not sure what the process is, but if you speak Thai it shouldn’t be a problem.

That's the most information-rich post you have made in 15 years.

My attitude to Rotary Clubs is similar to yours about the local Hash Harriers. Yukde.

Just to clarify,the people I am interested in meeting are 1. Experienced, ie long-term school-boys or trust fund babies don't cut it - I guess that removes 5 % 2. respectful of other cultures - I guess that removes 95%. 3. Educated to bachelor's level or above. I guess that removes 90%.

I guess y're smart enough to know those %s aren't exclusive.

As far as Rotary Clubs are concerned, anyone can Google their business, it's transparent (kind of).

But to me it's always seemed so strange that their so charitable donations in Thailand are so small.

A slap up Sunday discount brunch at Meridien costs more than to keep a hill family in nosh for the month.

And you know that most of you Meridien guys are somewhat overweight.

It's so bizarre you western fatties are trying to keep up with the Joneses by seeing how much you can eat.!!! And trying these days to be politically correct at the same tim :-)

As far as yr question abt accounts, well you are the local chiangrai expert at diddling the system, after all you've spent 8 years doing it. It's been a very long war of attrition hasn't it? You must be so proud of yourself ;-)

Correction: Don’t know what happened but I meant to write American Chamber of Commerce not Rotary. Must be tired after another long ride in the heat of the day. I have never "diddled" anything and consistently use the same moniker across the internet.smile.png

Rjb, I am replying to the op's op. He seems to have some business experience or knowledge, which is unusual for this forum. If you have such, please help us.

I hope you realize the OP in 'on vacation' from the board.

While he/she can read what you posted, they can't respond.

Jeez.. it's taken me an hour to get back thru the new TV re-authentication system....

anyway diddling or not diddling....and there has been a lot of diddling on this forum over the years....a lot... lol

but it seems that , notwithstanding all the rhetoric , there are no business persons here (except Don) , or if there are , they don't want to give anything away....and who could blame them...

as I mentioned above.. I would be interested in meeting fellow farangs who ....

- enjoy and respect Thai culture (this would exclude 80% of farangs I've met)

- have a bachelors degree and relevant professional experience (this would exclude 95% of farangs I've met)

- have achieved something in their life.

Now, the weird thing is, 99% of the westerners I know outside of Thailand fit those categories, but the farangs in Thailand - 5% max, and in sunny CR even less.

Indian and Mexican restaurants come and go. I'd like to see both types again in Chiang Rai - and stay for awhile.

Is there anyone selling organic veges?

There are still basic types of shops you won't see in Thailand, but perhaps for that reason, they won't work:

thrift stores

tool rental outlets

wrecking yards for autos

miniature golf course

roller skating rink

the last two options could possibly be set up near the old airport. Would need to strike a deal with the Air Force who manage those properties.

One problem for a thrift store idea in Thailand, is Thais usually look down their noses at 2nd hand. When I visit the States, every few years, one of the things I look forward to is going to thrift stores and yard sales. I usually come back with two large suitcases full of stuff, mostly clothes (half of which to give away to neighbors). Stuff I can't get in Thailand, or if I could, it would be new/retail and cost a lot more than what I pay in the States.

< snip >

but it seems that , notwithstanding all the rhetoric [/size], there are no business persons here (except Don) , or if there are , they don't want to give anything away....and who could blame them...

- have a bachelors degree and relevant professional experience (this would exclude 95% of farangs I've met)

Now, the weird thing is, 99% of the westerners I know outside of Thailand fit those categories, but the farangs in Thailand - 5% max, and in sunny CR even less.

I bet you would have gotten along swell with Tom07. Surprised you two never crossed paths.

Posted 2014-12-12 00:09:39

Hi, new in town here.

I'd be interested in meeting up with any arty or intellectual people - by which I mean people who earn (or earned) their living from the arts or their intellect in one form or another.

Have no interest in meeting any of the numerous foreign druggies (prescribed or otherwise) or alkies with artistic aspirations who plague northern Thailand, or self-procalimed "writers" and "bloggers". A PM would be best.

Posted 2015-01-14 21:02:12

I've only just read all of the responses to my original post. For what it's worth I have received no PMs.

There are many threads and subforums here aimed at the intellectually challenged, they do not interest me. I assume there may be one or two here who also hanker for somthing more than advice on shopping, bars and cheapness.

So let's cast the net a bit wider... I would be interested in responses from people with a a postgradurate degree....

< snip >

I bet you would have gotten along swell with Tom07. Surprised you two never crossed paths.

"Jeez.. it's taken me an hour to get back thru the new TV re-authentication system...."

He has made no attempt to hide who he is as one can see from the above quote. I wonder how many of these accounts he has?

Every time I drive to town I see vendors selling 2nd hand stuff in village markets on the side of the road.

What is basic or common in the West won’t necessarily work in Thailand. If it is not part of their social or cultural experience then it might take a generation or two to develop an interest. I doubt there are many business men willing to wait that long for a return on investment.

Jeez.. it's taken me an hour to get back thru the new TV re-authentication system....

anyway diddling or not diddling....and there has been a lot of diddling on this forum over the years....a lot... lol

but it seems that , notwithstanding all the rhetoric , there are no business persons here (except Don) , or if there are , they don't want to give anything away....and who could blame them...

Jeez......it's taken 24 hours to get banned again Tom, I mean smiles793whistling.gif

Being too focussed on someone’s résumé can be a mistake. A face to face conversation will often tell you much more about an individual but even then many people are able to hide their darker side and it is only over time one discovers what truly lurks beneath the surface.

My general rule is to be nice and polite with everyone but not to let them into the inner sanctum. Better safe than sorry.

Archived