British beers and real ale in Phuket (Updated edition)

BestBitterPhuket

Pint Factory in Town got a huge selection!

Thanks for the menu, not many high quality beers IMO, so not worth a visit for me. Only the draft section looks good, although Stella Artois would not be my favourite for a lager.

Pint Factory in Town got a huge selection!

Thanks for the menu, not many high quality beers IMO, so not worth a visit for me. Only the draft section looks good, although Stella Artois would not be my favourite for a lager.

I was so bored of Stella and Kronenburg when living in the UK....miss it a little bit now

Might pop by the Pint Factory to have a look

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

somewhat off topic but i just got back from 4 months in Boulder Colorado. They have about 10-15 microbreweries in boulder alone and they are all pretty much amazing. i was buying 6 packs for less than $10 so about 300-350 baht. now we're talking 150-300 for a bottle! i guess i'm going to have to get used to the local khrap again.

steve

There's a shop in Kamala on the main road called "100 Beers" - it's quite small but has a good selection of beers around the world, many of which I haven't seen anywhere else in Phuket.

Wow! Didn't know about that. Do you know what kind of beers they have? Any British or craft beers? Have to check it out.

Mostly craft beers. The prices range from 150-300 baht per bottle. Mostly Belgium, British and American craft beers. They also don't adhere to that silly rule where you can't buy beers from 2-5.

Drove past yesterday and it's already closed down....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reporting from Singapore.

Sadly many of the traditional British beers here are being replaced by modern craft beers. Most supermarkets don't have any bitters except from London Pride and Boddington, and occasionally some Shepherd Neame beers like Spitfire and Bishop's Finger. Fortunately, Villa Market and Central Festival still have an abundance of British beers.

Sadly many of the traditional British beers here are being replaced by modern craft beers. Most supermarkets don't have any bitters except from London Pride and Boddington, and occasionally some Shepherd Neame beers like Spitfire and Bishop's Finger. Fortunately, Villa Market and Central Festival still have an abundance of British beers.

In the unlikely event you haven't tried it go to Brewerkz, just on the other side of the river to Clarke Quay, and have a pint of Hopback. The nearest you'll get to a pint of real bitter in Asia. Hand pumped as well.

In the unlikely event you haven't tried it go to Brewerkz, just on the other side of the river to Clarke Quay, and have a pint of Hopback. The nearest you'll get to a pint of real bitter in Asia. Hand pumped as well.

I dread to think of the price in Singapore .....

300 - 400 baht a pint depending on the time of day, if I remember rightly.

Good thread. Will have to try and grab a few bottles Theakstons Old Peculiar, great for those cold wintery nights in front of a log fire (maybe I'll up the air con and find a flame effect screen saver for the laptop). Marston's Pedigree I enjoy also and I'll have to try that Meantime stout.

Agreed on Black Sheep brewery, especially Riggwelter biggrin.png

Often makes me laugh with these comments along the lines of "can't understand why people travel half way across the world to.......". I didn't travel across the world to buy English beer here, I live here. In the same way I didn't travel all the way here to eat Italian food here or drink French wine here. Luckily many restaurant owners never listened to those who thought "I can't understand why anyone would travel half way around the world to eat Indian food in the UK". Some of the best Indian food you can get, and of course it gave birth to the 'Balti'. Odd how some people seem to class it as a right of passage towards full integration when they say "I only eat Thai food". Great, enjoy. I don't eat just Thai food here any more than I ate JUST French food when I lived in France or just Arabic food when I lived in the Middle East. And I can certainly see the incentive to drink different beers here when the staple diet is Chang, Singha, Tiger, Leo and San Miguel Light!!

300 - 400 baht a pint depending on the time of day, if I remember rightly.

I was at Brewerkz yesterday to watch rugby...and drink beer. I didn't have the the hopback, but the XIPA (double IPA), which is excellent and the Black Pig (8% black IPA?). Happy hour (noon-3pm) is tremendous value by Singapore standards. Only $7 (and the dreaded pluses) for 500ml.

Good thread. Will have to try and grab a few bottles Theakstons Old Peculiar, great for those cold wintery nights in front of a log fire (maybe I'll up the air con and find a flame effect screen saver for the laptop). Marston's Pedigree I enjoy also and I'll have to try that Meantime stout.

Agreed on Black Sheep brewery, especially Riggwelter biggrin.png

Often makes me laugh with these comments along the lines of "can't understand why people travel half way across the world to.......". I didn't travel across the world to buy English beer here, I live here. In the same way I didn't travel all the way here to eat Italian food here or drink French wine here. Luckily many restaurant owners never listened to those who thought "I can't understand why anyone would travel half way around the world to eat Indian food in the UK". Some of the best Indian food you can get, and of course it gave birth to the 'Balti'. Odd how some people seem to class it as a right of passage towards full integration when they say "I only eat Thai food". Great, enjoy. I don't eat just Thai food here any more than I ate JUST French food when I lived in France or just Arabic food when I lived in the Middle East. And I can certainly see the incentive to drink different beers here when the staple diet is Chang, Singha, Tiger, Leo and San Miguel Light!!

Last time I checked, about 3 weeks ago, the Ild Peculiar and the Meantime Porter were sold out. And so was the BRILLIANT Meantime IPA. Hopefully new stock is on its way.

In the meantime (no pun intended), check out the beers from Titanic brewery, also at Villa Market. Very nice!

The Bateman's 2013 Vintage Ale is back in Villa Market Laguna. It's not available other places, but they had half a dozen bottles there a few days ago. This beer is 2 years old, but don't worry, it's meant to mature. The "best before" date is 2038, so it has plenty of time to develop. I have a dozen maturing and I plan to drink 2 every year. It will be interesting to see how flavours and colours change over the years.

• 2 months later...

Central cleared all stocks of the supremely excellent Brentwood beers for 59-79bht a bottle (500ml) just before Christmas. What a gift! They were originally selling for 230bht a bottle, so it's a huge discount. I hope they will take them in again, because these are great beers, but they shouldn't sell any beer for more than 200bht though.

Vill Market is now selling Young's Bitter and Hummingbird (golden ale), both for 169bht. Also, they are selling the ONLY good McEwan beer, their 7.3% abv Champion ale, which is lovely.

Cheers!

Archived