Yes, yet another language learning advice post :)

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker but have finally decided to open an account to ask about your opinion on learning Thai.

First, I must confess I've already lived in Thailand a few years but my Thai is pretty average...to the point I'm a little ashamed of it! ^ ^ So time to take action and work on that.

I can actually read and write, as I've taught myself using a book. I just have no idea what I'm reading most of the time.

The biggest problem is lack of practice. My comprehension is pretty high but most of my practice come from chatting with taxi drivers about Buriram Utd or ordering food in restaurants. I work in a very international environment and we usually use English, since most employees come from all around the world.

I'm thinking of going to a Thai language school, but there are so many of them. Which would you recommend? I'm not interested in those large classes where people mostly go to so as to have an Ed visa; I have my non-B. I actually want to learn Thai, including reading and writing.

What school did you go to? Was it any good? Professional teachers? A place you'd like to recommend? (I live in the Huai-Khwang area).

I've found these two schools online, and both are near my place:

My Thai Language School and Modulo Language School.

Problem is, the first one has less than stellar reviews and the second one seems to have great feedback, but always about learning English, Chinese or French...nothing about Thai.

Anyone's studied in one of these? Should I travel further away from my place to a great school?

Please share! Thanks

Archived