Books

tom07

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished...

"When China Rules the World" M Jacques

"The Casual Vacancy" JK Rowling; I bought this for light reading on the beach, but discovered a savaging take on contemporary British society. Way beyond other populists like King, Grisham, and even Dickens.

I'd never heard of that book, so I Googled it. It seems not to exist, it's a spoof right?

I know this forum is geared to ppl who find it hard to find their way to a sausage shop, or even a supermarket.

And I obviously don't expect most of the readers here to be literate or educated.

But does that mean we should not have intelligent threads.

I'd never heard of that book, so I Googled it. It seems not to exist, it's a spoof right?

I know this forum is geared to ppl who find it hard to find their way to a sausage shop, or even a supermarket.

And I obviously don't expect most of the readers here to be literate or educated.

But does that mean we should not have intelligent threads.

One book I should've recommended to you was "how not to get banned from thai visa",

but I guess it's too late for that nowtongue.png

Thanks Scea, I've taken your suggestion and checked Amazon, not Kobo yet, and there are a lot more Kindle offerings than I thought. Most, but not all of the books I've bought in the last year seem to be on Kindle, and that surprises me because some are pretty obscure. I tried an early version of Kindle, and that seemed fine. One of the tablets I had had Kobo as a pre-installed app, but I never got on with that too well, but that could have been just because of the books' formatting rather than the app. There's also a psychological thing I like about paper books, it's just like turning off from the online world; having spent a lot of my working life online I really enjoying going unplugged. A paper book with an ebook weight, size and price, now that would tick the boxes; and I'm sure the tech companies will get there eventually, or somewhere very close to it.

Thanks Pasta, does that site charge for delivery or just the book price?

Anyway, glad to know there are some avid readers here. I was going to call the thread What Are You Reading Right Now, maybe that would have been a better idea.

A book club even - post a poem? I noticed that Photography and the Arts Forum has only Photography.

I read and write e-books. In earlier days, each time I wrote something, I thought to get it printed in paperback form. Now, it's easier to get them put in e-book format. Amazon's Kindle works rather well for buying and for selling. Am currently working on a science fiction story - though each book I've written is a different genre. Have put together 2 audio books also. One is a compilation of short stories written by others - mostly from the 19th century. I'd venture to say more, but could get in trouble for self-promotion on T.Visa (I may already have said too much).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived