Tiny venomous jellyfishes plague Krabi beaches

webfact

Tiny venomous jellyfishes plague Krabi beaches

20-5-2558-14-40-27-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KRABI: -- Beach-goers and bathers have been warned to take extra care after the Than Bok Khorani national park reported sightings of “huge numbers” of several species of deadly small jellyfishes in the Krabi sea.

The national park chief Mr Virasak Sisajjang disclosed today that small red jellyfishes were sighted drifting in sea near several islands of the park and they are poisonous.

Commonly known by fishermen as “red jellyfish”, he said large number of these tiny and transparent jellyfishes with red tentacles were sighted at several islands of the national park near the beaches, particularly near the bay beaches.

This jellyfish specie is venomous if contacted to body skins. It will cause itching pains but won’t cause death, he said.

They now have drifted to beaches of various islands of the park.

He says he has ordered park officials to put up signs band warns beach-goers and tourists to aware of the tiny jellyfishes.

He said the season change from warm to raining brought in plague of these tiny jellyfishes but they would later disappear in a month.

But he said thus year they arrived in large number than previous year and s a normal natural phenomenon.

He advised that for persons coming into contact with this tiny jellyfish, pouring vinegar to the contacted area could ease the pain.

But in case of serious allegorical to the jellyfish venom, he advised patients to be immediately rushed to hospital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tiny-venomous-jellyfishes-plague-krabi-beaches

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-20

I had a friend back in 1998 get stung by a jellyfish in Hui Hin he barely made it to shore,they took him to the hospital. His whole arm was in severe pain.If he had been farther from shore he maynot have made it to the shore,and he is strong takes care of himself guy. Jellyfish sting maynot kill you but can immobilize you enough you drown.

"This jellyfish specie is venomous if contacted to body skins. It will cause itching pains but wont cause death, he said."

What is is, deadly or not???

Typical Thai news reporting....?

The only place "Deadly" was used was in the Thaivisa email. An obvious case of clickbait. bah.gif

These frequent Thai Visa discrepancies between headlines in the email newsletters and the actual pieces irritate me to say the least, anyone with me?

Email reads: "Deadly venomous jellyfish plague Krabi beaches"

...then I click expecting reports of box jellyfish which is deadly indeed and get

"Tiny venomous jellyfish plague Krabi beaches"...

... and read something about red jellyfish that is venomous but not deadly??? W T F???

amen to above, and why does my email notification say "Deadly venomous jelly fish...." but switch when coming here? Get your act together so we can mock appropriately please!

TV wants a higher number of clicks which makes money from Adsense

"This jellyfish specie is venomous if contacted to body skins. It will cause itching pains but wont cause death, he said."

The only place "Deadly" was used was in the Thaivisa email. An obvious case of clickbait. bah.gif

The stories are getting worse and worse with poor proof reading, translation and email headlines not matching the story headlines also some stories being recycled days later.

I had a friend back in 1998 get stung by a jellyfish in Hui Hin he barely made it to shore,they took him to the hospital. His whole arm was in severe pain.If he had been farther from shore he maynot have made it to the shore,and he is strong takes care of himself guy. Jellyfish sting maynot kill you but can immobilize you enough you drown.

It depends on the type.

The majority will just cause pain, in some cases very painful, a very few (e.g. Box jellyfish) could cause death if not treated or the victim is allergic to the venom, weak heart etc.

The use of vinegar has been the usual treatment since they stopped recommending ice (as in frozen water for the smarties).

There are now some organisations saying that vinegar is not effective and you should use hot water.

Wait until next year and they will recommend something else.

I was stung on the legs swimming off an island off Cebu in the Philippines and the immediate reaction of the locals was to summon as many of the local girls they could who then downed their panties and urinated over the affected areas which resulted in immediate relief from the pain. I'll take local knowledge any day !

Thai Visa is often scrap and obviously the reason, it doesn't get much hits. The Than Bok Khorani National Park is located in Ao Luek and famous for canoeing. There are not many beach goers, but these jelly fish might get washed ashore at other beaches, usually shallow beaches with not much surf.

Most likely a box jellyfish. If stung by one when scuba diving, it CAN cause a diver to lose control, rush to the surface and get hurt. If swimming and too far from shore, it can cause drowning. I DID see a special one time about an Australian couple who both got stung, and they went through absolute HELL but didn't die.

It all depends on what type of jellyfish it is - a bit like getting bitten by a snake - a King Cobra bite could quite easily kill you, as could the sting from a Box Jellyfish.

I was stung on the legs swimming off an island off Cebu in the Philippines and the immediate reaction of the locals was to summon as many of the local girls they could who then downed their panties and urinated over the affected areas which resulted in immediate relief from the pain. I'll take local knowledge any day !

Coords please...will book a flight tomorrow smile.png

coffee1.gif

Urine isn't urine.

"But in case of serious allegorical to the jellyfish venom."

I think I am having an allegorical reaction to this story

Alert or grammatically allergic, please would someone wax lyrical as to how "allegorical" got into the story and its meaning in this context. Thank you

The writing on this site is getting so bad, it's hard to even read the stories now. Next we'll have a story about lung transplants, heaven forbid. They will then tell you that after the transplant, anything you cough up in the first three days won't be your own? Please proof read your articles using a native English speaker.

OK - basically nonsense.....there are hundreds of different kinds of "jellyfish" and they have a wide variety of affects......rangig from totally harmless to absolutely deadly.

This article makes no effort to identify these jellies or to responsibly report their danger...or lack of it.....

It sounds as if the whole thing has been cobbled together by an ignoramus who can't be bothered to do even the most basic research before publishing.

also the advice about vinegar would depend on the species too.....

So the first thing is to identify the creature and then decide if it poses any danger and then decide how much danger it poses...

It depends on the type.

The majority will just cause pain, in some cases very painful, a very few (e.g. Box jellyfish) could cause death if not treated or the victim is allergic to the venom, weak heart etc.

No, the box jelly - which technically isn't a jellyfish can kill - nothing to do with allergies.

at present it is generally recommended that treating of the tentacles with vinegar paralyses the venom injectors so the victim is dowsed in vinegar BEFORE the tentacles are removed.

There are several species of Box Jellies and the Irukandji which is equally deadly and tiny.......... so this article which was so badly reported by TV gives the impression that Krabi was swarming with the Irukandji which is potentially very deadly....

Very poor job by TV headline writers - you need to buck up your act.

It depends on the type.

No, the box jelly - which technically isn't a jellyfish can kill - nothing to do with allergies.

at present it is generally recommended that treating of the tentacles with vinegar paralyses the venom injectors so the victim is dowsed in vinegar BEFORE the tentacles are removed.

There are several species of Box Jellies and the Irukandji which is equally deadly and tiny.......... so this article which was so badly reported by TV gives the impression that Krabi was swarming with the Irukandji which is potentially very deadly....

Very poor job by TV headline writers - you need to buck up your act.

Basically agree with your post, but allergy to the venom could have a bearing. Also, just interested in your comment that the box jelly technically isn't a jellyfish - how come?

Archived