small problem Linux Mint, Laptop

h90

I have Fn on the keyboard, together with left or right arrow it increase or decrease screen light.

When I use it the mouse still works, but everything else is frozen forever. Only press power and restart helps. Changing light in the power settings does nothing.

Any recommendations?

(I use Cinamon style).

Not sure if this is really relevant but I had a similar problem with my Lenovo Z370 when I was running Mint 13 - the machine would freeze up if I tried to use the volume keys. The fix, in that particular case, was to edit the file /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules. I had to add a line to the file that specified my Lenovo - it was just a matter of copying one of the existing lines and then editing it appropriately.

However, I didn't need to do this with Mint 17 - presumably the info. is already in there, somewhere. I can't find that particular file in Miint 17 anyway!

I think though that your problem is going to be related, somehow, so I can only suggest that you do a bit of Googling, based on what I've told you.

Good luck.

DM

Drop Mint, and use Kubuntu.

P.S. You did ask for a suggestion; thus don't hate me for offering one. I too went through the Mint phase, only to realize that it was either out of sink with Ubuntu updates, or just wasn't as reliable because of those who maintain it want to be "same same, but different".

Drop Mint, and use Kubuntu.

P.S. You did ask for a suggestion; thus don't hate me for offering one. I too went through the Mint phase, only to realize that it was either out of sink with Ubuntu updates, or just wasn't as reliable because of those who maintain it want to be "same same, but different".

It looks beautiful some intel driver can be installed only on ubuntu but not mint......So Kubuntu might be exactly the thing that fixes my problems

Gumballl: I followed your advice and installed Kubuntu......While Mint looks old fashion, Kubuntu desktop surface is really pre-2000 style.

But it is fast like I have never seen on that laptop, full loaded webpage are smooth to scroll. Opening programs needs a fraction of a second.

Really great!

Only thing that brakes my eyes is that the letters in Firefox or Chromium (I guess in the whole system, but just tried web browsing so far) aren't sharp sometimes. Like something happens when scaling them up or down.

Everybody perceives fonts differently, depending on the quality of their eye sight, or even the quality of the video card on their system.

I personally have no trouble reading the font (at normal magnification) using either Firefox or the Chromium browsers.

Perhaps your display is not set up at its fully capable resolution. Bring up the System Settings window (KDE Start->Settings->System Settings), and the single-click on the Display and Monitor icon. Then following the simple instructions on this page. See if the resolution of your screen can be adjusted to something more pleasant to your eyes.

Also, there's also a Font Management icon under the System Settings that perhaps you can fiddle with to get the font size you desire.

Everybody perceives fonts differently, depending on the quality of their eye sight, or even the quality of the video card on their system.

I personally have no trouble reading the font (at normal magnification) using either Firefox or the Chromium browsers.

Perhaps your display is not set up at its fully capable resolution. Bring up the System Settings window (KDE Start->Settings->System Settings), and the single-click on the Display and Monitor icon. Then following the simple instructions on this page. See if the resolution of your screen can be adjusted to something more pleasant to your eyes.

Also, there's also a Font Management icon under the System Settings that perhaps you can fiddle with to get the font size you desire.

I removed Kubuntu 15.04, as I could not manage to easily copy files from the network to the desktop.....no drag+drop. copying in the desktop folder and they didn't show on the desktop.

I than tried Xubuntu and it was even faster than Kubuntu, everything worked beautiful out of the box and the design is very good, without any unnecessary things it makes working very straight forward.

No problem beside sometimes with the WiFi, but that happens only on poor connections (need 1-2 times reboot), no problem with good reception. Usually I tether the mobile phone connection so I always have good reception.

Used it a while now and no other problems detected.....Speed is good like Win95......

Archived