Immigration Confirms The End Of Border Runs From Oct 1, 2006

george

Okay, so I want to come to Asia on holiday. Let's say I don't live in a city with a Thai consulate and don't want to send my passport thru the mail. I'm not a backpacker. I arrive in Thailand, spend a couple of weeks, go to Vietnam for a week, come back to Thailand. After a couple of weeks I go to Siam Riep, come back to Thailand and go to Bali. Now I can't come back in to Thailand for 90 days, right? This will do wonders for the perception of Thailand as a "hub".

To me this looks as no problem because you go out of the country before your tourist visa was extended or expired.I think they will focus on the borderruns who leave and enter the country on the same day.

I don't think so, let's say you leave thailand in three days, that will be your first 30 days. It's the same currently with a tourist visa (be it one entry or multiple) when you leave the country, the visa is expired.

The way I read this, is that you get three entries, after the third, you cannot come back for 90 days. So if you arrive in Thailand, then go to Laos, come back, go to Cambodia and come back, you cannot go to Myranmar and come back again.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what the hel_l! LOS makes it very easy to stay, just stick to the rules.

Care to explain how this new rule works out?

Q1: if somebody gets 30 days on arrival and leaves after 16 days will they consider that as 30 days or is somebody supposed to keep track of this.

Q2: will the airline be responsible to return you in case you're already over 90 days within a 180 day period.

Q3: have the airlines been informed.

Q4: will they start counting from 1st october or consider previous stamps as well?

Q5: are all immigration points equipped with calenders and calculators to count the time between

exit and entry stamps.

I have no understanding of this whatever rule that is. I am EU citizen and have furniture designing company in Hong Kong, and do not spend much time in my office because my manager take care everything.

I come to Thailand for pleasure each month. Sometimes 1 week sometimes up to several weeks depend on my schedule. According to what I read here, people like me can come for pleasure 3 times only and cannot come for 90 days?? This policy is just too rediculous, must be out of some monkey brain. Because I know many friends, European expats in HK, Singapore, Taiwan, Brunei, ect, come Thailand for pleasure every month, some people only work a few days a month, and spend their big chunks of money in Thailand for pleasure. Are we in this group also affected??

If Thailand don't want our business, we can always go on to nearby Fillippines to spend our leisure money.

Okay, so I want to come to Asia on holiday. Let's say I don't live in a city with a Thai consulate and don't want to send my passport thru the mail. I'm not a backpacker. I arrive in Thailand, spend a couple of weeks, go to Vietnam for a week, come back to Thailand. After a couple of weeks I go to Siam Riep, come back to Thailand and go to Bali. Now I can't come back in to Thailand for 90 days, right? This will do wonders for the perception of Thailand as a "hub".

To me this looks as no problem because you go out of the country before your tourist visa was extended or expired.I think they will focus on the borderruns who leave and enter the country on the same day.

I don't think so, let's say you leave thailand in three days, that will be your first 30 days. It's the same currently with a tourist visa (be it one entry or multiple) when you leave the country, the visa is expired.

The way I read this, is that you get three entries, after the third, you cannot come back for 90 days. So if you arrive in Thailand, then go to Laos, come back, go to Cambodia and come back, you cannot go to Myranmar and come back again.

Yep. And my point is also the perception this is going to create. They have just shot themselves in the foot (or head) with this announcement. With all the other bright news coming out of Thailand, this is not what the tourism industry needs. To someone who doesn't live here, it sounds like they are going after tourists.

VISA ON ARRIVAL

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 20 countries may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.

- The applicant must possess means of living expenses at the amount of 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

- The applicant must present full paid ticket which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry

- Visa on arrival is provided at 23 designated international checkpoints and applicants should submit the application form duly filled out and to which his/her recent photograph (2 ½ inches) is attached. The application fee is 1,000 Baht.

- Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 02 287-3127 or 02 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website http://www.immigration.go.th

The operative word here is tourism. It makes sense that a "tourist" should not mean a tourist in perpetuity. Agree? For people like me who are here not on a tourist visa but on a non-immigrant O or B visa, this should be a non-event.

I'm curious about one thing. When I arrived, they gave me a departure card. I have no intention of using it, and didn't fill it in. No one say "boo" about my not filling it in, I guess they assume I'm here for the long haul if I come on a non-immigrant O visa. What do the guys who have been doing visa runs for years do? Do they keep a ticket with them all the time, or is it not even asked for?

Oh Great. I am planning to move to Thailand Oct. 1st. I had planned on using a tourist visa, as I have friends in Cambodia and will be spending some days there each month anyway. Now I must sort out the O visa, retirment visa. should I get the visa here in the US? Can I sort this out by Oct 1st? Should I come on the tourist visa, and attempt to sort it when I get there? Do I risk spending 90 days in Cambodia?

If I get a retirment visa here, can I renew it in Thailand?

More headaches. TIT

Ray

Yep. And my point is also the perception this is going to create. They have just shot themselves in the foot (or head) with this announcement. With all the other bright news coming out of Thailand, this is not what the tourism industry needs. To someone who doesn't live here, it sounds like they are going after tourists.

Just in time for high-season. Seriously, this is going to reach panic stage quickly. I wouldn't even step foot into an immigration office Monday. Does anyone have a link to the source of the information?

If this is like the new phone number system for mobiles, I am taking it with a grain of salt. Most of the newspapers told me that I have to change my sim card.

And we all know that that bit of advice was bogus.

George wrote a lot of true stuff here

Well, what the hel_l! LOS makes it very easy to stay, just stick to the rules.

I had a company here and my proper work permit, and I was paying taxes. Now I am retired, and I got my proper retirement visa. Where is the problem? If anyone wants to stay here, (s)he should read the rules and decide if (s)he can accept it. If not, (s)he should stay where (s)he is. You always have the option to spend your holidays here.

Thank you for your attention,

a happy guy from Phuket, who got no visa problems.

Fully agree

VISA ON ARRIVAL

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 20 countries may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.

- The applicant must possess means of living expenses at the amount of 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

- The applicant must present full paid ticket which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry

- Visa on arrival is provided at 23 designated international checkpoints and applicants should submit the application form duly filled out and to which his/her recent photograph (2 ½ inches) is attached. The application fee is 1,000 Baht.

- Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 02 287-3127 or 02 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website http://www.immigration.go.th

The operative word here is tourism. It makes sense that a "tourist" should not mean a tourist in perpetuity. Agree? For people like me who are here not on a tourist visa but on a non-immigrant O or B visa, this should be a non-event.

I'm curious about one thing. When I arrived, they gave me a departure card. I have no intention of using it, and didn't fill it in. No one say "boo" about my not filling it in, I guess they assume I'm here for the long haul if I come on a non-immigrant O visa. What do the guys who have been doing visa runs for years do? Do they keep a ticket with them all the time, or is it not even asked for?

Does the "Boxer Rebellion" come to mind to anybody?

It will get worse BEFORE it will ever get better. Thailand adopts changes that are easy, but all the while going backwards, keep the things necessary for existance... Farming and that comunity will always be #1... Technology is so WAY BACKWARD to this country.

Students are becoming more lazy and westernize(and we know the school systems in Western countries go), not to mention that their is a lack of love for the English language now amongst them.

So this matter will taper...

So what does this change mean for the Teacher who changes to another school and their visa extension expires and has to make a border run to be able to stay legal in the country and all the while wait for the red tape needed to get a Non-B and Work Permit? What will this rule do for us?

I Hope a comment will ensue!

Regards,

C

the problem, in my situation, is that certain consular officials want create their own criteria. applying for a visa permits a "vetting" scenario that can solve all the excuses that the government is concerned about. if the problem is "illegal" workers, then go after the employers. oh, sorry, those would normally be thai. thailand can do want it wants, but it does have a history of being "two-faced". and by the way, as far as i know, no western country puts restrictions on "wealthy thais" as thailand does to "wealthy westerners". see it as you want.

This comes as no surprise, as I have been pointing out on here for some time that the Thai Government can stop back-to-back tourist visas at any time.

It was bound to happen that, when using these tourist visas for de-facto residence got out of hand, they would go.

The plain fact is that Thailand is vulnerable to a flood of 'undesirables'. However Thai culture tends to make Thais to be disinclined to 'preact'. So it is only when it is perceived that a vulnerability is actually causing 'wounds' that a reaction occurs.

Since some Thais will have started making money out of the situation, that reaction won't be received happily by them. But, as on Thai roads, "might is right".

The Government must feel it now has the 'might' to carry through this first step in limiting to some extent the entry of those who bring little (or negative) 'social capital' with them to Thailand.

Right, the operative word IS tourism. For people who live here with a non-immigrant B or O it is a non-event. But imagine Joe Tourist and friends, girlfriend or family planning a trip and they read this little announcement on cnn or bbc or wherever. All they will see is the headline- Thailand Tourist Visa Rules Tightened. Translated: trouble of some kind. Better look at Costa Rica or St. Martin or Hong Kong or or or.....

Now as funny as I find this for all the visa runners who have now got to actually get the correct legal visa or sod off. :D I mean what would happen in the UK if people were doing it!

There is a large problem from my view as from 2 weeks time me and my Lao wife are moving to Laos to build a house (I will have a full 1 year immgration visa in Laos) - however we will be frequently needing to nip over to Nong Khai for provisions etc. what is supposed to happen then? We'll only be over the border then back in the same day - this a regular thing for Lao and Thai people doing trade in Laos/Thailand.

So does this change mean it can't happen - as it'll completely ###### up many things there. I would imagine there is work around for this for people entering from the country of there legal abode? As it just won't make sense otherwise.

Oh by the way all you visa runners don't come Laos . . . Thanks.

You can't extend your Visa for 90 days anyway so there is no point! :D

:o

Edit: Why do people think people who are truly holidaying in Thailand will care that the holiday visa rules have been tightened? The only people who are totally against it are people who are living and working in Thailand illegally by doing visa runs.

Other people who travel frequently in and out of thailand for business and trade - are the ones with genuine concerns over it.

Edited by technocracy

Some people are bad mouthing Thailand for this crackdown. They should look at immigration laws to western countries and see how Thailand, even with the crackdown, is much more liberal than US, UK and Europe to name a few places.

Some also might want to check out Malaysia's Second Home Program. Lots of good benefits to moving to Malaysia, but there are rules and a different set of problems than Thailand has.

Now as funny as I find this for all the visa runners who have now got to actually get the correct legal visa or sod off. :D I mean what would happen in the UK if people were doing it!

There is a large problem from my view as from 2 weeks time me and my Lao wife are moving to Laos to build a house (I will have a full 1 year immgration visa in Laos) - however we will be frequently needing to nip over to Nong Khai for provisions etc. what is supposed to happen then? We'll only be over the border then back in the same day - this a regular thing for Lao and Thai people doing trade in Laos/Thailand.

So does this change mean it can't happen - as it'll completely ###### up many things there. I would imagine there is work around for this for people entering from the country of there legal abode? As it just won't make sense otherwise.

Edit: Why do people think people who are truly holidaying in Thailand will care that the holiday visa rules have been tightened? The only people who are totally against it are people who are living and working in Thailand illegally by doing visa runs.

Other people who travel frequently in and out of thailand for business and trade - are the ones with genuine concerns over it.

As funny as I find this for the people that'll be stuck in Laos .......

I find the thai fantasy of "they're stealing our work!" amusing. it's the same thing that's happening in america, except that when I was there, I was at the other end of it.

the simple fact is that as long as the foreigners are willing to accept lower wages for the same work or have more skills to offer for the same wages, the natives will be hard-pressed to compete, especially with the 'sabai sabai, try again next lifetime' attitude so many of the thais are plagued with.

it isn't as if foreigners here are holding the thais down, rifling their pockets until they find a job, and then making off with it. :o

Edited by Choscura

This comes as no surprise, as I have been pointing out on here for some time that the Thai Government can stop back-to-back tourist visas at any time.

It was bound to happen that, when using these tourist visas for de-facto residence got out of hand, they would go.

The plain fact is that Thailand is vulnerable to a flood of 'undesirables'. However Thai culture tends to make Thais to be disinclined to 'preact'. So it is only when it is perceived that a vulnerability is actually causing 'wounds' that a reaction occurs.

Since some Thais will have started making money out of the situation, that reaction won't be received happily by them. But, as on Thai roads, "might is right".

The Government must feel it now has the 'might' to carry through this first step in limiting to some extent the entry of those who bring little (or negative) 'social capital' with them to Thailand.

pls. tell me where "back to back" tourist visas are illegal. show me. unfortunately, some consuls now see it your way. too bad. this was a simple way to keep things totally legitimate, and let the immigration be in "total" control. remember, if you are a "farang", you are really not a part of the BIG problem. think about illegal chinese and indian businessmen, so pls. keep it in perspective.

This IMHO sums it up nicely, it was a simular case for the tightening of farangs being share holders in Thai companys, at the end of the day Thai government are fed up with some of us stupid farang taking the piss out of thier laws.

As funny as I find this for the people that'll be stuck in Laos .......

You should get a job for a tabloid you obviously have the art of taking words out of context and not understanding fully want I'm saying.

I think it fun that people who think they can go live and work in Thailand indefinately without correct visa are now crying there little hearts out as they've been found out. Yes funny i'm 'stuck' in Laos legally and can stay and work without a problem - but you've got go back to the UK, US or where ever or just go Cambodia . . . . :D

If you read the rest of my post you'd see there is a real concern - other than your problems of not having legal visa status in Thailand.

pls. tell me where "back to back" tourist visas are illegal. show me. unfortunately, some consuls now see it your way. too bad. this was a simple way to keep things totally legitimate, and let the immigration be in "total" control. remember, if you are a "farang", you are really not a part of the BIG problem. think about illegal chinese and indian businessmen, so pls. keep it in perspective.

dog412, your 100% right, its not illegal, however too many people opt for this type of entry stamp, to simply stay here indefinetly, Thai government as you have pointed out think this too, so they are making changes. Sol

I saw your point Techno --- just decided to show the same compassion that you did in your post! I think it fun <sic> that you may be stuck having to fly to somewhere other than Thailand :o

Why should I care about YOU getting into Thailand or not with your attitude ?

As for assuming you know my Immigration status ..... you'd be wrong :D I've been here 3 years ... on non-imm visas :D will be heading back soon for the 4th :D

Edited by jdinasia

I find the thai fantasy of "they're stealing our work!" amusing. it's the same thing that's happening in america, except that when I was there, I was at the other end of it.

the simple fact is that as long as the foreigners are willing to accept lower wages for the same work or have more skills to offer for the same wages, the natives will be hard-pressed to compete, especially with the 'sabai sabai, try again next lifetime' attitude so many of the thais are plagued with.

Umm...Surely some parallels with Farangland. In the UK people are up in arms against East European immigrants. Business loves the newcomers though as they are good workers and cheap. So although they generate money the voters would have them deported in a moment.

Sound familiar to this situation. The Thais maybe would lose money but would still support the new rules

This IMHO sums it up nicely, it was a simular case for the tightening of farangs being share holders in Thai companys, at the end of the day Thai government are fed up with some of us stupid farang taking the piss out of thier laws.

do you really believe "farangs" are the majority offenders? we all need to become more aware of the present situation. plenty of chinese and"kaaks" to help fill the bill. ditch the guilt trip, and notice that "farangs" are not majority of "guests".

Immigration confirms the end of border runs from October 1, 2006

Thailand tightens visa rules for tourists to cut illegal workers

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will tighten entry regulations for tourists in a bid to crack down on illegal foreign workers, the Immigration Bureau said.

The move, which takes effect October 1, would affect tourists from 41 countries including Australia, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the US, said Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, the head of the bureau.

Currently, tourists from 41 countries can enter Thailand without visas and stay in the kingdom for up to 30 days.

They can extend their stay by checking out of the country, mainly by crossing the borders of neighboring Cambodia and Laos, and returning with new entry stamps.

'Under the current rules, people from those countries can stay in Thailand as long as they want. Some even stay here for one year,' another bureau official said.

The bureau had learned that a growing number of foreigners from the 41 countries worked illegally in Thailand, Suwat said, adding many were employed in bars and restaurants in the popular seaside resort of Pattaya, east of Bangkok.

'Tourists are taking advantage of the visa exemption law. Instead of sightseeing, they are doing business here,' Suwat said.

From October, tourists from the designated countries can still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but their entry stamps will be renewable twice at most for a maximum stay of 90 days.

Tourists who stayed for 90 days must leave the kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted to re-enter Thailand, Suwat said.

--forbes.com 2006-09-10

As usual, this is a bunch of xenophobic, racist hype from the Thai government exacerbated by inaccurate reporting and typical media frenzy designed to deliberately confuse and panic farrangs.

Look, none of this has anything to do with proper non-VOA regular visas. Although the new rules clearly make it tougher for the average Farrang, the intent seems not to keep tourists out, but rather it is to keep out foreign workers, especially the Chinese, as the original Bangkok Post article quoted specific statistics on those of that nationality.

But anyway, you don't have to get a marriage visa, retirement visa, nor work permit, to stay a long time in Thailand. All you need do is go a consulate or embassy inside another country and get a real, regular visa, not an entry visa at the border. Sure, it's a bit more of a hassle, because it's further away & you may have to stay overnight because the consulates take 1 day to process it, but it's not the end of the world...

The real idiocy of this new rule though is that the Thai government, just like with it's over-hyped anti-farrang real-estate tactics, is again shooting themselves in the foot economically by discouraging long-stay tourism and foreign investment. By requiring those who do want to stay in Thailand to spend their money on food and hotels in other countries that otherwise would have gone into the Thai economy for the sole purpose of obtaining a visa, is utter lunacy. Tourism is the #1 industry in Thailand, so it is clearly hurting the Thai economy to force tourists and foreign investors to waste their money on gasoline, hotels, entertainment, and food in other countries at the expense of this money being spent in Thailand. Just think how much gasoline alone would be saved if Farrang did not have to travel to these locations? If 2 out of every 30 days one is forced to be outside of Thailand, that's at least 7% of your time, and due to the costs of hotels & restaurant food, being much more than a Thai bungalow/apartment rental and local Thai or home-cooked food, it's likely at least 15% of one's average monthly budget. So, just think how much more money the largest industry in Thailand would be cashing in on if all these farrang were spending this 15% of their budgets here instead of in another country.

IMHO they should have a simple exemption: if one can show, through printed receipts with your name on them from say, Tesco, restaurants, hotels, and/or a bonified official rental/lease contract that you've spent more than 10,000 Baht during the previous month here in Thailand, they should simply extend your visa for 30 more days (any number of times) at the local immigration office. This saves everyone money, time, and effort while incentivizing foreign money to keep flowing into the Thai economy. This also would still keep out most of the illegal foreign workers who don't make 10,000 Baht a month anyway. If there are any suspicious factors, such as cement on your overalls, then they could always refuse to extend it.

Edited by Chua

Please tell me this is not true? :o

This definitely sucks. Big time. I hope they SERIOUSLY consider of changing it back to the old.

Let's say you are in Thailand for 88 days, and something serious happens, such as a car accident, and you can not take care of things, but will rather have to stay 90 days out of Thailand. And simply, they will just lose a lot of money.

Hope there will be enough collective force in us farangs that we can vote this thing off. Should we found a party?

do you really believe "farangs" are the majority offenders? we all need to become more aware of the present situation. plenty of chinese and"kaaks" to help fill the bill. ditch the guilt trip, and notice that "farangs" are not majority of "guests".

OK, lets change that to "foreigners" and not split hairs, we are all in the same boat at the end of the day, too many people have been abusing the system so the system is being changed, its as simple as that, yes many innocent parties are being effected, but as alway the case, the few ruin it for the many.....

Sol

I've just been back and read George's OP again and there is a lack of clarity.

The action is aimed at all the people who were doing back-to-back "no visa" entries.

This classifies them as tourists. Whether they were illegaly working is another thing.

I've seen questions asked by people who come to Thailand , from nearby in the region ,

for short stays on a regular (I saw monthly) basis. They would be tourists.

Will this afffect them ?

Will a triple-entry tourist visa be no more ?

Is there a MFA page somewhere which spells out the new regulations

rather than having to rely on press reports.

PS I'm not a "tourist" either , so those of you who might be so inclined can

save your "nya nya's" for somebody else.

dog412, your 100% right, its not illegal, however too many people opt for this type of entry stamp, to simply stay here indefinetly, Thai government as you have pointed out think this too, so they are making changes. Sol

thai government in L.A. seems to be different than that in vientiane.the purpose of "visas", i would think, at least in part, would to help facilitate tracking.i was granted a tourist visa in L.A.while i would have been denied in laos.