Immigration Confirms The End Of Border Runs From Oct 1, 2006

george

Perhaps I am missing something - but if one goes to say Malaysia and the Thai consulate/embassy there to get a proper visa won't they also be refused if their passports are showing back-to-back-to-back visa requests. It seems to me even if one tries for a legitimate visa at a foreign consulate they will still be up against the 90 day restriction.

Perhaps I am not understanding this right. It wouldn't be the first time.

Actually I am rather hoping someone will prove me wrong on this point. :o

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those business men who come here to meet customers and clients, etc. Shouldn't they have been using a business visa all along? Isn't having the proper paperwork part of the cost of doing international business? These guys have been getting a free ride for too long.

And those off shore oil workers... If they only come for thirty days, they they go back out for thirty days, it's easy to see what they are doing.

It's the back to back visa runners who are violating the spirit and intent of the present laws. FIE ON THEM.

You can't fault Thailand for trying to control its borders.

'nuff said

~

Anyone disagree?

I don't know. But what I do know is that I disagree with admins having deleted my post regarding the new link on top of each page about rates of advertising on ThaiVisa.

What do you want to hide ? And if so, why put a public link ?

My post was not insulting or whatever. Just a small joke related to the big "event" of today and the huge trafic that it's creating.

Anyone disagree?

I don't know. But what I do know is that I disagree with admins having deleted my post regarding the new link on top of each page about rates of advertising on ThaiVisa.

What do you want to hide ? And if so, why put a public link ?

My post was not insulting or whatever. Just a small joke related to the big "event" of today and the huge trafic that it's creating.

Not sure about this, but you may find the amount of traffic is because word is spreading through the grapevine, and everyone is here trying to find out <deleted> is going on.

Sol

With 5 pages of posts, I'm surprised no one yet has put forth the question of why now. I'm betting that this is a response to the idiot Karr of Jon Bonet Ramsey fame.

Anyone disagree?

Agree of course. Also its election season and hassling foreigners is a no lose decision politically. If this is partly about English teachers, it really does need to be easier for teachers to get work permits or there won't be nearly enough English teachers, now that this loophole is being closed.

I still think there is nothing morally or ethically wrong with a person staying indefinitely on 30 day stamps or tourist visas as long as they are not doing anything illegal. My understanding is that in the Philippines, that is what most expats are doing. They just pay a periodic fee to immigration and must exit and re-enter once annually. Why persecute people about this? Why not just go after criminals based on the crimes rather than their visa strategy? I think this is a real shame.

The pool of farangs in Thailand on non-long term visas is large. No money from people with 30 day stamps? I bought an expensive condo with one of those stamps in my passport and I know I am not the only one. Also consider the pool of people who eventually do settle on long term visas has got to start somewhere! That pool often comes from the pool of people testing the waters on shorter term visas such as stamps and tourist visas.

The overall result of this is a less fun Thailand. Its funny. Singapore is becoming more fun, Thailand less so.

Edited by Thaiquila

With 5 pages of posts, I'm surprised no one yet has put forth the question of why now. I'm betting that this is a response to the idiot Karr of Jon Bonet Ramsey fame.

Anyone disagree?

Agree of course. Also its election season and hassling foreigners is a no lose decision politically. If this is partly about English teachers, it really does need to be easier for teachers to get work permits or there won't be nearly enough English teachers, now that this loophole is being closed.

I still think there is nothing morally or ethically wrong with a person staying indefinitely on a 30 day stamps or tourist visas as long as they are not doing anything else illegal. My understanding is that in the Philippines, that is what most expats are doing. They just pay a periodic fee to immigration and must exit and re-enter once annually. Why persecute people about this? Why not just go after criminals based on the crimes rather than their visa strategy? I think this is a real shame.

The pool of farangs in Thailand on non-long term visas is large. No money from people with 30 day stamps? I bought an expensive condo with one of those stamps in my passport and I know I am not the only one. Also consider the pool of people who eventually do settle on long term visas has got to start somewhere! That pool often comes from the pool of people testing the waters on shorter term visas such as stamps and tourist visas.

The overall result of this is a less fun Thailand. Its funny. Singapore is becoming more fun, Thailand less so.

interesting post. cheers

Perhaps I am missing something - but if one goes to say Malaysia and the Thai consulate/embassy there to get a proper visa won't they also be refused if their passports are showing back-to-back-to-back visa requests. It seems to me even if one tries for a legitimate visa at a foreign consulate they will still be up against the 90 day restriction.

Actually I am rather hoping someone will prove me wrong on this point. :o

i guess the best bet is to find a company that will sponsor you for a 90 day non-immigrant visa since you have already accumulated expenses on travels.

Nothing morally or ethically wrong? With lying?

If you are NOT a tourist but are LIVING here, you should have the correct visa. Like all other countries, Thailand has limits on the number of aliens it allows to live within its borders.

This is a good thing and won't affect the REAL tourists any way whatever.

I know I know... you spend a lot of money here. And of course MONEY is the MOST IMPORTANT THING in the world. RIGHT?

Nothing morally or ethically wrong with that, either. Right?

'nuff said

~

Edited by Scouse.

Anyone disagree?

I still think there is nothing morally or ethically wrong with a person staying indefinitely on a 30 day stamps or tourist visas as long as they are not doing anything else illegal. My understanding is that in the Philippines, that is what most expats are doing. They just pay a periodic fee to immigration and must exit and re-enter once annually. Why persecute people about this? Why not just go after criminals based on the crimes rather than their visa strategy? I think this is a real shame.

It'll be against the law to chew gum next! I am offshore working outside of Thailand going home (Thailand) 6th of Oct. I have 3 30 day chops in my passport already. A wife and 3 kids waiting for me to come home. All my documents for applying for a visa are at my home in LOS. This is going to be real convenient. What a load of ****!!! Maybe I'll just pack up the wifey and kids and go back to Falangland. I wish they would have done this in the springtime.

It'll be against the law to chew gum next! I am offshore working outside of Thailand going home (Thailand) 6th of Oct. I have 3 30 day chops in my passport already. A wife and 3 kids waiting for me to come home. All my documents for applying for a visa are at my home in LOS. This is going to be real convenient. What a load of ****!!! Maybe I'll just pack up the wifey and kids and go back to Falangland. I wish they would have done this in the springtime.

I'm ready to beam you up and out. You have a THAI wife and kids? If that is so, then why didn't you just do the 1 year extension to a proper non-immigrant visa for supporting your wife and kids?

If you are outside the country, get off your lazy ass and visit a Thai Embassy to get the proper visa.

Jesus.

As ever, on TV, the Sanctioumonious come to the fore. I can't see this being much help to LOS? Unless there is some master plan to change the status quo? All that is happening so far are edicts that will hamper the local economies that rely on expats.

To compare the situation to the UK et al is crass. In LOS. the expat/immigrant generates income, a lot would argue in the UK and elsewhere, the beneficiary is different.

If you are NOT a tourist but are LIVING here, you should have the correct visa. Like all other countries, Thailand has limits on the number of aliens it allows to live within its borders.

I know I know... you spend a lot of money here. And of course MONEY is the MOST IMPORTANT THING in the world. RIGHT?

'nuff said

~

Edited by Scouse.

Again, I disagree.

A person can live in Thailand for years and live their life as a tourist. If you are not working, if you are just enjoying yourself, yes, spending money, this is rather like a very long vacation, yes?

And the 30 day stamp says nothing about tourism. No lies there for sure.

The way some of you talk, its like you are TRT functionaries.

How about some solidarity among farangs? I know, an impossible wish.

Think of the farang businesses that are going to be ruined by this change.

Edited by Thaiquila

I'm ready to beam you up and out. You have a THAI wife and kids? If that is so, then why didn't you just do the 1 year extension to a proper non-immigrant visa for supporting your wife and kids?

If you are outside the country, get off your lazy ass and visit a Thai Embassy to get the proper visa.

Jesus.

"Lazy Ass" Did you not read the part about WORKING!!! I would and have done several times. Some of us lazy asses are to busy working and and raising our children to run off and get visa's. Especially when you have the option to get a tourist visa. Thanks for your insightfull and helpfull coment though.

'nuff said

~

Edited by Scouse.

i never lied. i told them exactly what what they asked me. i am a tourist, as it related to my visa classification. i am not a resident. i do not work. exactly what limits on aliens do you "think" thailand has, to live within it's borders? i doubt there are many "farang" labourers. we farangs are NOT the big problem. remember, thailand knows our governments are "responsible" too some extant, especially as compared to some "other" governments".

Actually I am rather hoping someone will prove me wrong on this point. :)

Technically this point seems ambiguous, since the actual announcements seem to concern VOA's and 30-day "airport" visas, but I agree that the larger effect of this program will probably be to inhibit the granting of back-to-back 60-day visas as well. It's indeed discouraging for well-intentioned long-stay tourists. Perhaps it will be compensated for with more income-documentation requirements.

For regular short-term visitors from outside Thailand, the rules do seem technically ridiculous, but one would hope that the immigration dept. could look at the stamps and see that a person was spending more time outside the country than inside and make the appropriate judgement call.

Is there any channel for writing a Thai official and offering these suggestions instead of just spitting and bellyaching? As abrupt and arbitrary as the gov't often appears, I'm sure there are reasonable people in responsible positions.

Edited by markarthur

I come to Thailand for pleasure each month. Sometimes 1 week sometimes up to several weeks depend on my schedule. According to what I read here, people like me can come for pleasure 3 times only and cannot come for 90 days?? This policy is just too rediculous, must be out of some monkey brain. Because I know many friends, European expats in HK, Singapore, Taiwan, Brunei, ect, come Thailand for pleasure every month, some people only work a few days a month, and spend their big chunks of money in Thailand for pleasure. Are we in this group also affected??

Like you, I come to Thailand every month as I've moved to a more lucrative market, HK. I am in Thailand usually for a few days, sometimes as much as a week. So I am only allowed to come 3 times then I have to take a 3 month break?

To hel_l with that.

Jesus.

"Lazy Ass" Did you not read the part about WORKING!!! I would and have done several times. Some of us lazy asses are to busy working and and raising our children to run off and get visa's. Especially when you have the option to get a tourist visa. Thanks for your insightfull and helpfull coment though.

Heard of mail? Fedex? No excuse - go visit an embassy or send your passport to one.

Like you, I come to Thailand every month as I've moved to a more lucrative market, HK. I am in Thailand usually for a few days, sometimes as much as a week. So I am only allowed to come 3 times then I have to take a 3 month break?
That’s not what the news reports say.

Your visits to Thailand are not for 90 days at a time and therefore the reported new policy is not supposed to affect you.

---------------

Maestro

Jesus.

Heard of mail? Fedex? No excuse - go visit an embassy or send your passport to one.

Have you not got better things to do then antagonise people who are trying to work through a crisis

Is it 3 back to back visas and out for 90 days no mater how long you have stayed for on the visas. Example 1st one lets say 2 weeks then the next 3 weeks and the last the full 30 days. This is not staying in thailand for 90 days but it is 3 back to back visas

Have you not got better things to do then antagonise people who are trying to work through a crisis

Crisis? Very melodramatic. A crisis is when you find out you have cancer.

Or

No gas in your flying airplane.

Getting a legal visa is not a crisis. Stop being a baby about it and do the right thing.

I have been living here for a year on VOA's. I rent 2 properties in Bangkok, support a TGF (and family) and also employ a maid. My income is derived from outside Thailand and im 27 years old. Could the people who have been going about this being a good thing just get the correct visa please point out which visa i can obtain because i have to point out that there isn't one. I am not interested in getting married to anyone at this point in my life and do not wish to invest USD 85000 in Thailand thanks.

It seems in a months time i have no choice but to return to the UK and my TGF and maid are out of luck. Please correct me if this is not the case.

This is really going to hit the property market and economy big time. Glad i never bought a property here.

Edited by MartinBKK

Or

Getting a legal visa is not a crisis. Stop being a baby about it and do the right thing.

More lack of compassion and arrogance concerning the pain of other people who are not you.

Getting a long term visa is not an option for a lot of perfectly fine people.

Many have long term ties to Thailand and many will have to leave the country and often loved ones of their choice.

Not a crisis? Are you serious?

Edited by Thaiquila

Or

Flying airplane eh? I didnt know there was anyother kind. Thanks for your advice Einstein

Edited by beammeup