Immigration Confirms The End Of Border Runs From Oct 1, 2006

george

I'm married to a Thai but so what. It doesn't get you much does it. I mean you can get a 90 visa from the get go extended for one month thereafter but then what?

If you can comply with the requirements, you can extend a Non-Immigrant O visa based on support of a Thai national for a year at a time.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My big question is how this will affect visas which have already been granted.

I arrived from the UK with a quadruple 60-day-entry 6-month tourist visa.

I'm currently in my 3rd entry, enjoying an extended break in my favourite country.

When my 3rd 60-day entry expires at the beginning of October, and I hop to Cambodia to begin my 4th and final entry, will I be allowed back into Thailand?

Since I haven't used any 30-day visa exemption on arrival this visit, will my 90-day limit begin when my 4th 60-day entry expires? Or am I not going to get my 4th entry? Should I take all my posessions in a suitcase to my next border run?

Not enough information!

Edited by bkkbaz

I'm married to a Thai but so what. It doesn't get you much does it. I mean you can get a 90 visa from the get go extended for one month thereafter but then what?

The way I read it is that this will only affect those who enter on VOA. Those who have O/B visas are not affected.. what does everyone else think.. am I right ? :o

totster :D

You are correct Toaster.

Yes, the crackdown on O and B non-immigrant visas is not slated to begin until November 1st.

:D

Hello Viet Nam!

Hello Cambodia!

Hello Laos!

Goodbye Tirac... :D

I anticipated this or similar problems ages ago. I've always looked at those 3 countries (and Indonesia) as "backups for quite a while.

Although Laos woul be a bit of a hassle for long term. Cambodia is much easier going regulations wise tham LOS. Vietnam pays better .. Indonesia great as its just a short paddle back home to Darwin!

Still .. I've NEVER relied on the 30 day entry ..too much of a hassle and the 60 day visa is cheap enough!

:o

Edited by astral

I happen to know a few people who don't work, don't run businesses, aren't over 50, aren't married to a TG or BG and like to stay here, but they dont qualify. Let's get rid of them.

And if you have a multiple entries tourist visa, after your 90 days go visit Laos, Cambo or Vietnam.

Hopely this will reduce the number of farangs who build houses and leave millions for a smile to this country.

Ever wondered how much baht these 100.000 farang build houses represent and they can not own their own built places, 555555, now they can not stay in their own paid houses, 55555 (unless you are hkt83100 that is)

A happy guy from Udon, who got no visa problems

As for the others, please leave this place, I want it for myself...

Well, what the hel_l! LOS makes it very easy to stay, just stick to the rules.

I had a company here and my proper work permit, and I was paying taxes. Now I am retired, and I got my proper retirement visa. Where is the problem? If anyone wants to stay here, (s)he should read the rules and decide if (s)he can accept it. If not, (s)he should stay where (s)he is. You always have the option to spend your holidays here.

Thank you for your attention,

a happy guy from Phuket, who got no visa problems.

Being ignorant of your circumstances, I suggest you go to immigration and discuss your options. If you have 400,000 in the bank and can prove you are supporting your wife with money that came from outside Thailand. You should be able to get a support visa for 12 months which is a renewable visa, without involving a border run. Unless these changes cover that this info was given to me at the begging of this month in Ranong Immigration.

However having said that I now find myself considring which is my best option. Doing the above immediatley. Waiting until my "O" type visa expires after the 3 month visa runs, then upgrading to the above. Upgrade now, or go for the old farts retirement visa as I am 50.

With regard to the illegal workers. Last year I was doing the 30 day runs 12 or 13 of them. The number of approaches from the local schools asking me to go teach the kids English I lost count of. The most recent approac was from a local government organisation, to teach adults one night per week.

So if the Thais are serious about stopping the illegal workers, they should look to the source.

Regards Steve

My big question is how this will affect visas which have already been granted.

I arrived from the UK with a quadruple 60-day-entry 6-month tourist visa.

I'm currently in my 3rd entry, enjoying an extended break in my favourite country.

When my 3rd 60-day entry expires at the beginning of October, and I hop to Cambodia to begin my 4th and final entry, will I be allowed back into Thailand?

Since I haven't used any 30-day visa exemption on arrival this visit, will my 90-day limit begin when my 4th 60-day entry expires? Or am I not going to get my 4th entry? Should I take all my posessions in a suitcase to my next border run?

Not enough information!

I don't think you will be affected.

I generly stay out here for 6 months at a time and do the same as you and get a double 60-day-entry 6-month tourist visa and extend it twice when i'm over here. As 1) it saves hassle 2) with the extension you get 90 days. Going to the border and returning the same day 2 times will only give you 88 days from when you initialy first entered the country.

Edited by Raymond125

...There is a large problem from my view as from 2 weeks time me and my Lao wife are moving to Laos to build a house (I will have a full 1 year immgration visa in Laos) - however we will be frequently needing to nip over to Nong Khai for provisions etc. what is supposed to happen then? We'll only be over the border then back in the same day - this a regular thing for Lao and Thai people doing trade in Laos/Thailand.

So does this change mean it can't happen - as it'll completely ###### up many things there. I would imagine there is work around for this for people entering from the country of there legal abode? As it just won't make sense otherwise...

Not sure how this will affect you but it certainly shouldn't bother your Lao wife if they still use the good old border pass.

Have you not got better things to do then antagonise people who are trying to work through a crisis

Crisis? Very melodramatic. A crisis is when you find out you have cancer.

Or

No gas in your flying airplane.

Getting a legal visa is not a crisis. Stop being a baby about it and do the right thing.

Flying airplane eh? I didnt know there was anyother kind. Thanks for your advice Einstein

I don't see many airplanes "flying" when they are "parked" in a hanger. Is that another "kind" ? Gee I hate smart assed nit pickers!

Now as funny as I find this for all the visa runners who have now got to actually get the correct legal visa or sod off. :D I mean what would happen in the UK if people were doing it!

There is a large problem from my view as from 2 weeks time me and my Lao wife are moving to Laos to build a house (I will have a full 1 year immgration visa in Laos) - however we will be frequently needing to nip over to Nong Khai for provisions etc. what is supposed to happen then? We'll only be over the border then back in the same day - this a regular thing for Lao and Thai people doing trade in Laos/Thailand.

So does this change mean it can't happen - as it'll completely ###### up many things there. I would imagine there is work around for this for people entering from the country of there legal abode? As it just won't make sense otherwise.

Oh by the way all you visa runners don't come Laos . . . Thanks.

You can't extend your Visa for 90 days anyway so there is no point! :D

:o

Edit: Why do people think people who are truly holidaying in Thailand will care that the holiday visa rules have been tightened? The only people who are totally against it are people who are living and working in Thailand illegally by doing visa runs.

Other people who travel frequently in and out of thailand for business and trade - are the ones with genuine concerns over it.

Some people are bad mouthing Thailand for this crackdown. They should look at immigration laws to western countries and see how Thailand, even with the crackdown, is much more liberal than US, UK and Europe to name a few places.

Some also might want to check out Malaysia's Second Home Program. Lots of good benefits to moving to Malaysia, but there are rules and a different set of problems than Thailand has.

Malaysia is good. I've done the Second Home visa for my family. You will need approx. US$75,000 deposited in an account. After one year you can take 60% out if you can prove that it is for house purchase or kids schooling. You are allowed to own 2 houses here with land.

If you can comply with the requirements, you can extend a Non-Immigrant O visa based on support of a Thai national for a year at a time.

Having been married for five years, and having been on the Non Immigrant O, I have preferred to go in and out every three months, rather than leave 400k in a Thai Bank with no interest and a constantly depreciating currency. There will no doubt be those, who don't have the 400k. It would be a big scandal internationally if they start seperating families. Then again they are so dense, that I wouldnt' be surprised it they tried, only the loss of face seems to instill any semblance of common sense, to officialdom!

jes--us,

what about all the casual farang working in the dive industry on the islands or working as teachers in schools throughout the country. :o

99% are on tourist visa's (or in the case of teachers, perhaps 70-80%) :D

they'll be pissed. :D

Yes they will be pissed - but, like it or not, they are working here illegally. . . . . . If a company/school/organization won't get you a work permit, then don't work for them.

G

This is definitely not a good thing for many people. For some, I agree it is time to become "legal". I did the visa run thing for a few years. Sucked, and that meant I was not really a tourist. But, since it was easy to do, I just went with the flow.

If you come to Thailand to do business, you should get the right visa. Can't argue with them for enforcing that. The definition of a tourist is "One who travels for pleasure". I think travel is the operative word. Not do border runs to stay for a long time in one place.

But, many people are going to have a hard time with this. Me included. My last trip was for 6 months. 4 in Thailand and 2 outside during my "visa runs".

That means I could not have done what I did if this new rule was in place. Visit Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietman when my 30 day visa expired. I had planned to do the same thing next year, but now will have to look at alternatives or head to other countries. I think the latter is probably what will happen...too bad...I do think there will be a large negative impact on Thailand's tourism...and economy...IMHO.

Is it 3 back to back visas and out for 90 days no mater how long you have stayed for on the visas. Example 1st one lets say 2 weeks then the next 3 weeks and the last the full 30 days. This is not staying in thailand for 90 days but it is 3 back to back visas

I would imagine that there will be some mechanism to calculate the 90 days quota of multiple stays (altough no such thing has been mentioned anywhere yet). The 65 days in your example might leave you with a 15 days "credit" until the 90 days forced pause sets in, or something...

The primary focus is presumably on back-to-back (i.e. seamless) re-entries, often -- but not exclusively -- employed by farangs whose Thailand stay is not entirely in the "tourist" category.

It so happens that the better part of the -- uhm -- civilized world has immigration regulations which simply don't allow for endless re-entries. The European country that's issuing my passport has a maximum allowance of 180 days/year.

To be fair: as screwed-up as the "new regulation" may sound: farang who have the [legal] means for a long-term stay shouldn't have a problem to get non-immigrant visas either -- or am I completely naïve?

Good one immigration, you have just screwed Thailand out of a serious amount of money.

Idiots.

... guess, they've figured there isn't much money in 30-day-visa-runners ... wonder why it took them so long ...

Sure, these people don't eat and don't sleep....

GOD - OK people, guess what? This isn't about how much money they can make. This is about the visa runs - like so many other rules and regulations in LOS, the visa runs never made any sense. I get a 30 day visa waiver, but all I have to do to get a new one is step with one foot over the border and come back? Makes any sense?? No!

If Thailand wanted the visa runners here, they would issue unlimited visa waivers (it's not a visa on arrival - it's a waiver). It was never, ever the intent of this law to allow people to do visa runs. No one benefits from visa runs except maybe people who want to be here and keep a low profile. Or who are just too lazy to get a proper visa.

Thai policy makers are not siting there going "oh, wait, the visa runners pay for lots of beer and stuff, we better keep them here". If they were thinking that they would change the rules so that you don't have to do visa runs. They would issue unlimited visas for anyone who wants one.

You can hardly blame Thailand for abolishing a completely senseless practice. Whether or not the current visa rules then optimize tourist arrivals is another question. But to me it seems it's not bad:

- BHT 3M gets you in so if you are young and rich, no prob

- Over 50 gets you in so if you want to retire, no prob

- Work gets you in so if you want to work here, OK

- Wife gets you in so if you want to be with family, OK

- Travellers get a 30 day on arrival or a real visa either back home or at their first exit, they are good for at least a year - OK

- Package tourists are totally OK with the 30 day

If you are young, poor, and don't want to work - good luck getting a visa anywhere :o

Edited by nikster

The new regulations or enforcement of previously unenforced ones, are Thai inspired and therefore poorly considered, meaning they will result in chaos at points of entry as well as immigration offices nationwide, with resulting anger and frustration on both sides of the counter. Nobody knows where it will end, but until those responsible for the new policy either backtrack or clarify (sic), it looks like the farang is going to be at the sharp end, yet again.

Laos and Cambodia may be fine alternatives, either for an interim 90-day stopover or as a hassle-free alternative to LoS, and I'm sure they'll welcome the increased traffic, but personal experience suggests they do not have the infrastructure to accommodate a significant influx of long-termers. Note too that Lao and Cambodian prices will inexplicably become less attractive if and when the new regimen has the threatened effect of driving the farang hordes to their borders.

But after all is said and done, what's the problem? If somebody wishes to stay long time, why not get the appropriate visa? I cannot imagine the Brit consulates are guilty of having ever rejected a plausible £95 non-O application, and can only guess a similar situation exists elsewhere. Quite simply, suitable visas are available, and they're cheaper and more convenient than the monthly visa run.

Or praps I've missed something.

keda

Okay, so I want to come to Asia on holiday. Let's say I don't live in a city with a Thai consulate and don't want to send my passport thru the mail. I'm not a backpacker. I arrive in Thailand, spend a couple of weeks, go to Vietnam for a week, come back to Thailand. After a couple of weeks I go to Siam Riep, come back to Thailand and go to Bali. Now I can't come back in to Thailand for 90 days, right? This will do wonders for the perception of Thailand as a "hub".

A bit of a reply to an earlier post.....

NetFan with all due respect, your post seems to be what it is all about, not necessarily the itinerary of your post, that's fine but the between the lines.

The US sets rules for the benefit of the US and hopefully for the benefit and safety and well being of its citizens. They are much more strict than Thailand's, and for that matter much the same goes for most of the other Western countries.

Your post if full of " I's" I want and I don't want.

I don't know of a single country that creates its immigration rules around the wants and needs of the citizens of any other county. Thailand makes the rules for Thailand.

Thailand does not want those who are illegal here any more than any other country. Why is that so hard to understand. If we desire to visit any other country of the world, it is incumbent on each of us to obey the laws of that county. If we break them, we must suffer the consequence. If we do not like a certain law or rule, then make the decision either you want to go there badly enough to obey it, or you go and do not obey it and maybe pay the price.

The problem with this threads protesters is, and I say it again, you who protest want the law written solely for your benefit and to fit what you would like at the moment.

Lets say you are American, you have the opportunity of just getting on the plane any where in the US and flying to Thailand where you will receive a welcome and a VOA and stay as a tourist for up to 90 days. AS A TOURIST. Not as a part time worker or English Teacher, so you may supplement you stay funds.

Now in all fairness wouldn't you feel that the Thai citizen should be able to get on a plane in Bangkok and fly to the US and receive the same treatment...... Well my friend , the VOA for you here is not reciprocal. In fact it is 20 times harder for the average Thai to get a Visa to the US..

Simple matter, Thailand has a visa for many different types of needs. They do not supply a visa for anyone under deception..

For the most part those who are protesting the ruling here are wanting to stay here under the wrong type visa and either of to lazy or not able to afford the correct visa. In that case no pay, no play.

The laws are not made here to benefit the Falang at the expense of the Thai.

Just my humble opinion.

Gonzo

Agree 100% ... why would we get pissed off with illegal immigrants/workers in our home country and then go and commit the same crimes in Thailand?

Viig'

George wrote a lot of true stuff here

Well, what the hel_l! LOS makes it very easy to stay, just stick to the rules.

I had a company here and my proper work permit, and I was paying taxes. Now I am retired, and I got my proper retirement visa. Where is the problem? If anyone wants to stay here, (s)he should read the rules and decide if (s)he can accept it. If not, (s)he should stay where (s)he is. You always have the option to spend your holidays here.

Thank you for your attention,

a happy guy from Phuket, who got no visa problems.

Quote from Stick ... "Then of course there is Cambodia which is most definitely Westerner friendly. You can pretty much just buy a one year visa at, I believe, around $US250 for a year. And it can be renewed ad infinitum. Malaysia and Cambodia both have plenty going for them, but they're not Thailand."

Like I said in an earlier post .. you need "backups" for everything these days.

Good one immigration, you have just screwed Thailand out of a serious amount of money.

Idiots.

... guess, they've figured there isn't much money in 30-day-visa-runners ... wonder why it took them so long ...

Sure, these people don't eat and don't sleep....

- Travellers get a 30 day on arrival or a real visa either back home or at their first exit, they are good for at least a year - OK

Good for a year? on what visa?

Although this new change doesn't apply to me, I'm sure other members here would love to know what visa you get to stay as tourist for a year..

I think people here are very quick to dismiss the amount of income that long term tourists bring to Thailand. This is indeed a bad move on the part of the Thai government, those who think otherwise seem to think working in Thailand makes you some sort of higher class... Don't write off the long term tourist visa farang just becasue they don't have to work for 30k a month teaching English.

Time will tell exactly what happens, my prediction is that this will casue a ripple effect... no more long term tourists, higher price condos will lose tenants, Thais will default on loans, etc etc Not to mention the diving instructors down south who can't even seem to get non-immigrant visas, with 90% of the dive industry based around farang instructors.. that industry will now be almost history.

Those of you who think this is a good move, I challenge you to think beyond the scope of your own existance, just because you are over 50, married, etc etc, does not mean everybody else is.

The message is clear

FARANG GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! I do not agree with this one iota.

Farangs who are here working illegally, generally up to no good, or having criminal records, or warrants out for their arrest.....yes get the hel_l out of Dodge and do not come back !

I do not understand what the problem people have with this. This will only affect long stay residents who are doing so without the correct legal paperwork.

Do you not have a personal problem with people like this in your own country ?

:D Nice Law Abiding People

:o for those other categories !

:D sh1t my heart bleeds

:D:D

Oh Great. I am planning to move to Thailand Oct. 1st. I had planned on using a tourist visa, as I have friends in Cambodia and will be spending some days there each month anyway. Now I must sort out the O visa, retirment visa. should I get the visa here in the US? Can I sort this out by Oct 1st? Should I come on the tourist visa, and attempt to sort it when I get there? Do I risk spending 90 days in Cambodia?

If I get a retirment visa here, can I renew it in Thailand?

More headaches. TIT

Ray

The way I read it you will not be affected if you get a Tourist Visa.

The Tourist visa is valid for 60 days and if you want to pop over to Cambodia then you get a re-entry permit.

This is aimed at people who abuse the 30 day Visa Exemption rule, and leave every 30 days, comng back immediately.

If you plan to stay for a long period and are aged 50 or more you can indeed apply for a Non O visa

and extend it based on retirement, provided you meet the financial requirements.

Retirement visas are most definitley extendable inside Thailand.

Nothing has changed in this area.