Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, Kawasaki Z 800 Which one?

ALFREDO

Reading some Online Tests,

also in German language magazines, the Ducati seems to be better over-above all,

except price tongue.png against the Kawasaki

and the Yamaha, has over-above all, a slight advantage over the Ducati.

BUT, the heart of some writers beats still for the Ducati who should have more charisma, more soul. rolleyes.gif

I am living in Isaan, far from any big city, so no big problem with traffic and heat - as its written Ducati,

can get very hot in stop and go..wink.png

Your opinion, or do you driving one of these bikes or had driven? Thank you. smile.png

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in issan too and I ride Diavel. Sure it can get hot if you ride it through the city traffic, but the thing never overheated, never went past 110°C sitting in BBK traffic in a hot ~40°C day. Feat from this engine never bothered me, wear proper riding pants and it won't bother you other. And as for the bike itself - nothing wrong with it getting a little hot, it won't get hot enough to damage anything on the bike.

In the past Ducati have had issues with running too hot, but it is in the past.

Out of the 3 bikes you are choosing, I'd go with a monster, but I'm a little biased. ;)

Z800 is way too heavy and MT9 comes with very poor suspension which needs to be changed right out of the box. Also neither Z or MT are sold with abs in Thailand.

I'm in issan too and I ride Diavel. Sure it can get hot if you ride it through the city traffic, but the thing never overheated, never went past 110°C sitting in BBK traffic in a hot ~40°C day. Feat from this engine never bothered me, wear proper riding pants and it won't bother you other. And as for the bike itself - nothing wrong with it getting a little hot, it won't get hot enough to damage anything on the bike.

In the past Ducati have had issues with running too hot, but it is in the past.

Where in Issan are you, thank you.

Diavel - just looked it from the roadside in Udon showroom, looks like a big monster, but was on a small pedestal., wink.png

Will look the bikes there soon better during opening times.smile.png

Kawa: heavy and no ABS. No-go for many but can still be loads of fun. Most aggressive riding position out of all. A bit outdated.

Monster 821: hot and the old ones used to be a bit unhappy at slow speeds (need to use the clutch to keep RPMs a bit higher). Not sure if the 821 has the same issue but in any way can be fixed with a sproket change. Also a bit aggressive riding position, a bit less than the Z800. If you want to impress Thais, this is the bike to get.

Hypermotard: same engine as the M821. Completely upright riding position. Subjectively better suited for Isaan riding with dirt roads etc. Can be more hooligan than the monster but I prefer the looks of the M. Can slap on some panniers for a bit longer trips.

MT-09: as said suspension is reported as being too soft by many but others say with a bit of adjustment it can be fine. Probably can fix it for not too much money with heavier springs. Completly upright riding position like the Hyper. A gem of an engine with torque everywhere. Probably the easiest of all to ride around traffic and slow speeds. Also you will need to research the Yamaha dealer in Isaan first. Akra pipe available from Yamaha which many people love the sound of.

Tough choice to be honest. For me the only one I wouldn't consider is the Z. Personally I have a Scrambler and am considering a MT-09 Tracer for touring so you can see I like both companies bikes :)

Yes Hypermotard is a good choice too.

I personally wouldn't even consider a bike with no ABS so out of all mentioned here it is either M 821 or a Hyper for me.

When I was looking at the new bikes before I bought a diavel, I also considered Z800 but the lack of ABS really turned me off. M 821 was not available at the time so I almost purchased a Hyperstrada.

OP, I'm in issan near Korat.

MT-07

Having tried some dirt roads with my Hypermotard all I can say is this is not a dirt bike. Don't be fooled by the looks. The suspension is fine but Ducati seems to have forgotten to, you know, maybe seal some parts and waterproof them...

Took mine through a small river and onto some dirt roads and literally 10km later the engine light came on. As it turns out, two lambda sensors had given up the ghost. I could still ride it and it was fixed by Ducati under warranty but if you're going to ride dirt / mud and soft offroad on a daily basis the Hyper might not be for you (and I imagine the same goes for the M821, which by all other accounts is a superb bike, way better than the old M795/796).

Loving the hyper every day, it's the best bike I've ever ridden and still stupid fun. But Issaan back roads? I don't know...

MT07 is 300k baht, much better priced than the MT09 which IMO is too expensive. MT-07 also has ABS, or will, when it's coming.

Kawa: heavy and no ABS. No-go for many but can still be loads of fun. Most aggressive riding position out of all. A bit outdated.

Monster 821: hot and the old ones used to be a bit unhappy at slow speeds (need to use the clutch to keep RPMs a bit higher). Not sure if the 821 has the same issue but in any way can be fixed with a sproket change. Also a bit aggressive riding position, a bit less than the Z800. If you want to impress Thais, this is the bike to get.

Hypermotard: same engine as the M821. Completely upright riding position. Subjectively better suited for Isaan riding with dirt roads etc. Can be more hooligan than the monster but I prefer the looks of the M. Can slap on some panniers for a bit longer trips.

MT-09: as said suspension is reported as being too soft by many but others say with a bit of adjustment it can be fine. Probably can fix it for not too much money with heavier springs. Completly upright riding position like the Hyper. A gem of an engine with torque everywhere. Probably the easiest of all to ride around traffic and slow speeds. Also you will need to research the Yamaha dealer in Isaan first. Akra pipe available from Yamaha which many people love the sound of.

Tough choice to be honest. For me the only one I wouldn't consider is the Z. Personally I have a Scrambler and am considering a MT-09 Tracer for touring so you can see I like both companies bikes smile.png

Thank you for your input, reagrding

"you will need to research the Yamaha dealer in Isaan first."

Would be in Khon Kaen, is not to far, but not near either. rolleyes.gif

Yes Hypermotard is a good choice too.

I personally wouldn't even consider a bike with no ABS so out of all mentioned here it is either M 821 or a Hyper for me.

When I was looking at the new bikes before I bought a diavel, I also considered Z800 but the lack of ABS really turned me off. M 821 was not available at the time so I almost purchased a Hyperstrada.

OP, I'm in issan near Korat.

Thank you -Shurup-,

as I am a older boy tongue.png, I did, until now never drive a bike with ABS, so that is not a -must have- for me.smile.png

MT-07

Having tried some dirt roads with my Hypermotard all I can say is this is not a dirt bike. Don't be fooled by the looks. The suspension is fine but Ducati seems to have forgotten to, you know, maybe seal some parts and waterproof them...

Took mine through a small river and onto some dirt roads and literally 10km later the engine light came on. As it turns out, two lambda sensors had given up the ghost. I could still ride it and it was fixed by Ducati under warranty but if you're going to ride dirt / mud and soft offroad on a daily basis the Hyper might not be for you (and I imagine the same goes for the M821, which by all other accounts is a superb bike, way better than the old M795/796).

Loving the hyper every day, it's the best bike I've ever ridden and still stupid fun. But Issaan back roads? I don't know...

MT07 is 300k baht, much better priced than the MT09 which IMO is too expensive. MT-07 also has ABS, or will, when it's coming.

"M821, which by all other accounts is a superb bike, way better than the old M795/796)."

But a bit pricey, compared to the others to. whistling.gif

"Issaan back roads?"

Not really like to ride them, only when it has to be, so I think, I can live with a Ducati.wai.gif

I own a Yamaha MT-09.

The new Tracer has better suspension and the fueling has been sorted out. There is (was) a Yamaha dealer in Korat.

The 2015 MT-09 has better fueling but I am not sure about the bouncy rear shock, I changed mine to a Maxton shock and it transformed the bike.

Why not consider a a triumph Street Triple?

I used to own an R model, great bike.

Also, I really like the Monster 1200s.

Like a kid in a sweet shop isn't it.

I own a Yamaha MT-09.

The new Tracer has better suspension and the fueling has been sorted out. There is (was) a Yamaha dealer in Korat.

The 2015 MT-09 has better fueling but I am not sure about the bouncy rear shock, I changed mine to a Maxton shock and it transformed the bike.

Why not consider a a triumph Street Triple?

I used to own an R model, great bike.

Also, I really like the Monster 1200s.

Like a kid in a sweet shop isn't it.

Thank you

Yamaha dealer should be in Khon Kaen - from Website.

Triumph, never thought about them, also a bit pricey.

Ducati - 1200, price!

821 - was today in dealership, let her engine run, did not drive, anyway only allowed around the pond? lake? For that I not change from slippers to shoes. tongue.png

Sound with Original exhaust not satisfying for me, other exhaust (race) from Ducati or the sport model - pricey!

Set today on the Kawasaki to, test ride not possible there at all,

Can feel, much heavier than the Ducati when you bring the bike up from sidestand.

But looks nice the Kawa and I have to think and read more.

Or, go back to the Honda 650?

For the Honda new,

I can get a Kawa 800 with small miles second hand and some goodies on it (exhaust) already also. whistling.gif

I'm always partial to Ducatis, I think that the Monster would be your best bet.

I thought so to, but the sound today? Hmmm.

Have to look if I see spare part-race exhaust in Internet.

The Ducati race? exhaust = 50.000 Baht, facepalm.gif

the more sporty? version 821, just some goodies more including exhaust + 80.000 whistling.gif

Is it worth 85,000 more than a Z800 though?

That is really good value for a big bike (in Thailand).

The Ducati Scrambler also seems to be a good deal, but test reports I have read state it is under powered and not exactly a scrambler.

The Ducati Scrambler also seems to be a good deal, but test reports I have read state it is under powered and not exactly a scrambler.

^^^

Maybe only 75hp on the scrambler, but reports say its all usable from take off and not just top end. Plus its a light bike too

Triumph Street Triple R is about the same as a Ducati 821 and a Yam FZ-09.

Thing is though, you don't want the Triumph dealer to be too far away.

Hmmm, higher price, less cc. 460 K ? than I would choose the Monster. wink.png

Is it worth?

I had an offer for a second hand, "real" low miles Kawasaki z800 with slip on exhaust

and other goodies for 300.000 K.

I should give that a Testride at least, also, I have to travel-fly there.tongue.png

Scrambler - to weak.

If the op is ok with 75hp, maybe he could also consider an MT-07.

The Honda CB 650 F is the lower end of possibilities.

On the other hand, I drove in TH from 2000 - 2014 accident, a Repsol look coloured Honda CBR400R

built - 1993 with a screaming very loud - empty?, Aluminium racing exhaust (nameless).

Had modified carburettors and ignition?

Gave her a White Power shock and White Power fork springs, for my heavy body and ran very well.

Will give it a try and look for such model, also VFR newer vintage.wink.png

Was ok for me in the Phuket area 10+ years ago, did seldom drive far distances or High Ways.

In my home country was my last bike a new bought 1998 Yamaha R1 until 2010, without EXUP System,

instead A complete Exhaust from Akrapovic.

Scrambler is more for cruising, and for that it's got plenty of power. I tried it for about 45 minutes up and down Doi Suthep. It's a good bike. A bit sedate compared to the Hypermotard but then so are most bikes ;)

did you already decided ? Imo i'd go for the FZ-09

It's a real weapon once you upgraded the suspension

Watch few drag videos on youtube. It smokes the z1000 and R6 (maybe r6 rider was bad but i heard redline)

It also can keep up easily with most liter bikes till 140 or so.. just because of the torque it has

Can't remember reading anything about the Scrambler being underpowered. It has much more power than it's direct competition like the Triumph Scrambler for example, or old Scramblers. Horsepower is deceiving anyways because top speed is "only" about 190km/h (good luck holding on to the bars at that speed on a naked bike) but you get 68Nm torque which comes very low and the gearing is not very long.

And owning one I can say it's definitely not underpowered for the bike it is. Like nikster said, it is for cruising around town, not as hooligan as a Hyper/Monster/MT-09. It depends on what style of riding you prefer. But it'll power wheely in second gear without fuss if you want it to.

But the OP has a bigger budget and if he wants power to go a bit crazy, the M821, Hyper or MT-09 are indeed better bikes.

Archived