Why is that Thai schools pass every kid regardless of their ability/grades?

The comments about Thai degrees not being accepted globally is absolute rubbish. However DavisH

"My wife has a degree and Masters from Thailand and enrolled in a PhD program in Australia. If the degree was not recognised, how did this happen?

You mentioned in a thread that your wife is studying a PhD in Australia. In my experience most Thais have to redo their master's work. Bachelor's from Thailand are accepted globally without a problem but typically advanced degrees are not.

Most of my colleagues that have their PhD from Australia, US or UK all had to start at the master's level. A PhD program is typically 2-3 years, but most studied for 4-5 years. These colleagues went to Chula, Thamasat and other respected schools, but none of their Master's were accepted.

Does your wife have to start at the Master's level or is she only studying for 2 years?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This goes on into university as well, it's quite scary. I have met many so called professionals here over the years with degrees and I can't figure out how they passed. A bit worrying in the health profession.

I've met my fair share of professionals from US universities that were clueless as well. Perhaps it is a universal thing?

Btw, you cannot expect someone to be knowledgeable in subjects that they are not exposed to; nor can you judge a person from a different educational culture than your own.

I laugh at the policies here in the US where 'no child is left behind'. Unfortunately some students must be left behind to collect the garbage and perform other menial work. Otherwise, who in the lot of Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers (and perhaps Underwater Basket Weavers) would do the menial chores?

A school teaches to the level that society dictates and requires of their graduates/work-force. Thailand does not require rocket scientists, nor a worldly leader. They just require someone who can accept instructions from a superior (i.e. older) peer, and who can then pass these along to the next generation.

History about your country, or even Western history, has no place in Thailand. It is information that adds zero-value to anyone's occupation in Thailand. Only farang teachers, and their sense of superiority, are important to other farang teachers (and clueless expats). For Thai people, let them study their own culture and history, and let them live in their isolated world. It does you no harm to allow such.

The point of not failing students is a strange thing for farang to understand.

The point you are overlooking is that the students G.P.A. is the relevant entrance point to Thai Universities, and the higher regarded the University the better chance of future better employment.

A Grade Point Average of approaching 4.0 shows a prospective University that the student is good.

A Grade Point Average of approaching 2.8 shows a prospective University that the student isn't good.

At the same time not failing students saves wasting time trying to make an Albert Einstein out of a turnip.

This goes on into university as well, it's quite scary. I have met many so called professionals here over the years with degrees and I can't figure out how they passed. A bit worrying in the health profession.

I've met my fair share of professionals from US universities that were clueless as well. Perhaps it is a universal thing?

Btw, you cannot expect someone to be knowledgeable in subjects that they are not exposed to; nor can you judge a person from a different educational culture than your own.

I laugh at the policies here in the US where 'no child is left behind'. Unfortunately some students must be left behind to collect the garbage and perform other menial work. Otherwise, who in the lot of Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers (and perhaps Underwater Basket Weavers) would do the menial chores?

A school teaches to the level that society dictates and requires of their graduates/work-force. Thailand does not require rocket scientists, nor a worldly leader. They just require someone who can accept instructions from a superior (i.e. older) peer, and who can then pass these along to the next generation.

History about your country, or even Western history, has no place in Thailand. It is information that adds zero-value to anyone's occupation in Thailand. Only farang teachers, and their sense of superiority, are important to other farang teachers (and clueless expats). For Thai people, let them study their own culture and history, and let them live in their isolated world. It does you no harm to allow such.

It does do me harm.

Sorry, Thailand; my kid may have to spend time (hopefully not too much time) in your schools, and I insist he is taught to be a better person than a robotic instruction-taking dimwit who knows nothing more and is interested in nothing more. Up your standards and your game.

It's not so much the strange concept of every student gets a pass, but the refusal to acknowledge just how damaging this is to the country as a whole. Most people know this is wrong (I was about to say "everyone" knows it's wrong until I reminded myself just how delusional some senior people are in this country). My colleagues talk and write about it often. But no one in the government or the bureaucracy has the guts to do the right thing and usher in an educational revolution.

I feel very sad about this, because I come from a country which once had a 100% literacy rate, and which gave me an education that was so good it allowed me to achieve many things in life that I would not have been able to do otherwise. My colleagues are educated, wonderful people. Most are very reform-minded, but deeply frustrated. I feel for them and their kids.

A lot of Thai people have the ability to switch off the brain on (their own) command.

I once asked my SIL: "Does the neighbour not know that burning plastic and inhaling the fumes can cause serious disease, even cancer?"

The answer was: "Of course she knows, everybody in Thailand knows, but they just don't think about it. They switch off brain because think too much gives them a headache".

I am not joking here!

In the case of education: everybody knows the kids learn nothing and their grades are bullshit but they just switch their brains off and act like everything is fantastic. Because complaining would cause a lot of thinking, planning, changing which will cause poowat hoowa - a big headache...

This is the reason everybody passes and nothing ever really changes here. Just too much hassle, gives them a headache. And it DEcreases Lakorn time of course...

Fink majority of LOS kids don't give a toss about making the effort to learn cos they know they will pass anyhoooo.

I hear some parents pay for a "pass" if that piece of paper is essential. sad.png

So many teachers use the classroom actually for teaching. But that's usually tutoring after school, using the schools' facilities. Going rate is 50 baht, per child and hour.

Make that times 45 and you take an extra 2250 baht home, five times a week.That's 12250 per week.

Make it to two hours a day and you're making around 100 K in one month, I mean next to your "low" salary.

And of course do they "suggest" that many of them need tutoring. What's surprising to me is that many really speak Tinglish in English lessons and they don't just sit down all day in class.

I could write some more details, but that would only cause many lost faces in a country full of lost faces. The educational hub that never became one.

5555555555555555555555555555+

so they are getting away with slacking during the regular hours and then making big money to compensate that after school!

They must think they are one clever bunch hey? In real countries you would try that for one week and be fired (and reported).

School and teachers would lose face if all students dont pass and that would be a disaster for sure ... The shortsight and the stupidity here has no end ...

Definition of face:

Looking good for others while the others know it is all bullshit... But hey! It is good looking bullshit! And it cost a lot of money!

EX: Having a masters degree in English but not able to say one sentence without errors.

EX: Owning a new Toyota Hilux Vigo but having no money to put gas in it and borrowing money from mafia loanshark to pay for the installments.

EX: ......

OMG - I need to see my shrink now

Personally, I have always felt that if you fail a student, you have failed the student.

Passing every child doesn't mean that they all get high marks. A part of the problem that many of you fail to realize that it isn't about money it isn't about lack of standards it is simple culture. Most Asian cultures find it difficult to fail a student and have them repeat a year. The students you start with in school are your age, they grow with you. You are not friends with people 1 year old or 1 year younger. You can hang out with them but the term friend is age related not just about liking someone. Keeping a student back one grade makes it very hard on them for life. Yes, not having certain academic skills make it harder also but because students in the same class take care of each other for life, they protect and help the weaker students. Ask your students who is best at math and they will know. Ask them who is the best at anything or the worst and they will know. I had one student that had severe learning disabilities, but he had an amazing artistic ability. All the students clapped for him when he did something right. They helped him all the time studying and never made him feel bad. If he was left behind and had to repeat, he actually wouldn't learn anymore and then would be the oldest kid in a class of non peers who wouldn't protect him the same.

The only issue that I have in the system is like others have said is about abilities and skills. If students cannot read and are passed up through the system it gets harder for them to ever learn. If schools had special needs classes or teachers with training, there might be a difference. Identifying the root of the problem in a student's lack of ability and helping them is essential but labeling a kid special needs makes the family lose face here. So it is very difficult to get real help. This isn't a Thai problem this is common in most Asian countries. I have taught in Japan, Korea, Thailand and China and have been to many conferences and all teachers complain about these obstacles.

Another real issue is most teachers especially the untrained native teachers don't do anything in their class in regards to differentiation. Make things more challenging for advanced students in the same class by creating slightly stricter rubrics and require higher word count for writing assignments.

Grading students based on their individual level and not necessarily by some class score. For example you might have a class where all students but a few have high ability or are just better students. The lowest scores would fail by a scale system, however if those students were in another class with lower ability students, they actually might be the best students.

Your argument might, stress might, have a certain validity up until the Mathayom 3 (age 15) level when compulsory schooling ceases. But after that, it is very dangerous. Latter years of education, especially from the college/unuversity stage are geared to help a person acquire skills to compete in the real world. Sorry to state the obvious, but it needs to be emphasized. Thailand is not a cozy little club of educational inbreds. They will find this out only too well when the labour market is flooded with Asean workers with a huge variety of skills, knowledge, ideas, and practical solu tions. If your education system hasn't taught you to compete, then you will be subjegated to these other workers. The potential for social disengagement and dissatisfaction is huge.

It does do me harm.

Sorry, Thailand; my kid may have to spend time (hopefully not too much time) in your schools, and I insist he is taught to be a better person than a robotic instruction-taking dimwit who knows nothing more and is interested in nothing more. Up your standards and your game.

Yeah right! Maybe in the next century.

Better to take your kid to Europe/USA?Australia if you want a decent education. Not bashing Thailand - I'm bashing it's education system.

That's why 7/11 asks for a degree.........everyone's got one.

The hi so Chinese gf who so many here seem to be with........have three!

Thai degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

So Farang degrees in Thailand are genuine then???

7/11 Thailand does NOT require job applicants to be degree holders.

This comment is slightly inaccurate. My wife graduated from a top bkk university in a medical field and she said that all students were graded fairly. ie a fail is a fail... come back next year. She still has a friend who is trying to pass the degree. In the low class uni's in the country everyone passes of course- but these are general disciplines (not medical or health related)

This comment is slightly inaccurate. My wife graduated from a top bkk university in a medical field and she said that all students were graded fairly. ie a fail is a fail... come back next year. She still has a friend who is trying to pass the degree. In the low class uni's in the country everyone passes of course- but these are general disciplines (not medical or health related)

I sure hope so... But I think a very long surname and a Bentley would surely increase ones grades...

Archived