Retirement Visa New Rules?

A good friend of mine recently returned from Jomtien immigration where he intended to apply for the Non O visa for retirement. He had actually traveled previously to Bangkok to do it because he read it was changed but they told him to go to Jomtien. He did go the other day and he had what he believed was all his paperwork including copies, photos, embassy letter, financial backup etc. The lady asked if he rents or owns and from whom and he was honest stating he rents from a man in Europe. She then says he will need rental agreement copy, letter from the condo, copy of owners passport and copy of ownership book. And he has address on his drivers license lol. What is going on here? They can't be too interested in retirees. What is going on here?

• Like 1

Many offices ask for proof of residence like he was asked for. I don't recall it being asked for at Jomtien before but I suspect it is not that unusual.

Ok but why can someone go in and get a proof of residence with a cable bill and they are asking for copy of owner's passport (he is not the owner), land document, condo letter, rental agreements etc.?

Must be a luck thing. I just got my 1st "retirement" visa at CM. live with girl friend at her home but the issue never came up and the whole process was slicker than snot.

Good for you. He said he normally has no problems with Jomtien immigration and finds them quite friendly but he definitely said he had the vibe they don't want retirement visas very badly.

Nothing is "going" on

What do you believe has "changed" ?

Nothing is "going" on

What do you believe has "changed" ?

A drivers licence is not a proof of address .

Edited by nzexpat

Many offices ask for proof of residence like he was asked for. I don't recall it being asked for at Jomtien before but I suspect it is not that unusual.

Ok but why can someone go in and get a proof of residence with a cable bill and they are asking for copy of owner's passport (he is not the owner), land document, condo letter, rental agreements etc.?

So get the proof of residence certificate (100 baht) and submit it with one's "retirement" extension paperwork.

So has mine but Immigration will not accept a DL as proof of address .

Immigration wants copy my landlords ID, house book and rental agreement.

Perhaps they send it to the tax authorities so they can claim rental tax.

• Like 1

Must be a luck thing. I just got my 1st "retirement" visa at CM. live with girl friend at her home but the issue never came up and the whole process was slicker than snot.

Good for you. He said he normally has no problems with Jomtien immigration and finds them quite friendly but he definitely said he had the vibe they don't want retirement visas very badly.

O please with that number, thats like the old one more nail in the coffin saying. I do not think immigration wants retirement visa as they do not need them. Immigration can ask for different proofs of address if your friend wants the extension of stay he will furnish them the paper work. I had to show immigration in CM my lease agreement no big deal.

Edited by moe666
  • Like 1

A drivers licence is not a proof of address .

Mine has my address on the backside.

Always has worked as proof of address when asked.

It is NOT proof of address whether it has worked or not.

People change their address quite often, some don't even know their address is on the back of the licence,.

• Like 2

It's not the rental agreement that is the hassle it is getting copies of the owner's passport and the house book as the guy lives in Europe.

Emailed copies from doing a scan of them should be enough.

• Like 2

So has mine but Immigration will not accept a DL as proof of address .

Immigration wants copy my landlords ID, house book and rental agreement.

Perhaps they send it to the tax authorities so they can claim rental tax.

Exactly !

The DL is of no use

I have no interest in what is "done" with the proof of address data .

All that is a Thai matter .

I completed my extension of stay base on retirement in Chaing Rai yesterday. Had photocopy of my yellow house book proving residence. There were no further questions asked

Did they ask for proof or did you offer it without them asking?

Edited by lostoday

Was he applying for an extension or a Non O visa for retirement?

I wonder if they ask for different things for extensions?

no . you have to satisfy the requirements for an extension before they convert a visa to non O.

Was he applying for an extension or a Non O visa for retirement?

I wonder if they ask for different things for extensions?

no . you have to satisfy the requirements for an extension before they convert a visa to non O.

I asked if he was applying for a 12 month extension or a new visa? You get the visa first and then extend it, no? I got a visa in my home country and extended it in Jomtien and they did not ask me for proof of address.

Edited by lostoday

It's not the rental agreement that is the hassle it is getting copies of the owner's passport and the house book as the guy lives in Europe.

Emailed copies from doing a scan of them should be enough.

Half the old guys I see at immigration still have 10 year old Nokia dumbphones...most have probably never sent an email...scanning.attaching, and emailing documents would blow their minds.

• Like 2

I completed my extension of stay base on retirement in Chaing Rai yesterday. Had photocopy of my yellow house book proving residence. There were no further questions asked

I have always provided a copy since I have attained it. They did not ask to see the original.

Nothing new, I have been providing copies of rental agreement and land ladies ID card for the last several years of extensions. I have several copies of everything they want and attach one of each every year no problems (Lop Buri).

• Like 2

I have always provided a copy since I have attained it. They did not ask to see the original.

Did they ask you for any proof of residence or did you give it to them unasked (I didn't mean the original).

Did they ask you for any proof of residence or did you give it to them unasked (I didn't mean the original).

I provide copies of forms that I think they would require. I have never been asked for a copy as I always supply it. If you have a yellow house book prooving residence why would you not supply a copy.

I provide copies of forms that I think they would require. I have never been asked for a copy as I always supply it. If you have a yellow house book prooving residence why would you not supply a copy.

Because bureaucrats love paperwork. There is no rule to ask for proof of residence and by you giving it to them you encourage them to expect it. Maybe the next guy will give them an extra picture and the next a map to his house and the next an aerial photograph - being bureaucrats they adopt all of these new customs into their immigration useless paperwork collection. Soon there will be a necessity for agents and web sites to guide people through the mass of new requirements that you have created.

With all government employees of any kind never volunteer anything. No information, no forms, no paperwork. You have the right to remain silent.

Edited by lostoday
  • Like 1

I get a letter from the condo juristic person, in Thai, verifying that I rent in the building. No need to track down the European (is British considered European?) owner, who often isn't in the country to get a copy of his passport, or other documents Jomtien is requesting. Actually done this in two different condo buildings. One with a British landlord and the other building I had an Aussie owner. Rarely saw either.

The juristic person manager should have all these documents on file for the owner of each unit in their building.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

Because bureaucrats love paperwork. There is no rule to ask for proof of residence and by you giving it to them you encourage them to expect it. Maybe the next guy will give them an extra picture and the next a map to his house and the next an aerial photograph - being bureaucrats they adopt all of these new customs into their immigration useless paperwork collection. Soon there will be a necessity for agents and web sites to guide people through the mass of new requirements that you have created.

With all government employees of any kind never volunteer anything. No information, no forms, no paperwork. You have the right to remain silent.

If you take that attitude with you to immigration then I suspect you will have problems.

The information for extending a non immigrant visa, retirement.

post-12069-0-25951600-1432212550_thumb.j

Note No7. This also applies to a rented property where copies of a rental agreement, and landlord (or lady) details and map of property are required.

• Like 2