Retirement Visa New Rules?

Lostoday

I feel sorry for you.your attitude.

If you have documents you know will assist with your application why not supply copies.

I also requested a 90 day peport at the same time. When my passport was returned to me 20 minutes later my extension was stamped in my passport and my 90 day report had been completed.

No documents were required for 90 day report.

Have a nice day

Edited by ripstanley

I provide copies of forms that I think they would require. I have never been asked for a copy as I always supply it. If you have a yellow house book prooving residence why would you not supply a copy.

Because bureaucrats love paperwork. There is no rule to ask for proof of residence and by you giving it to them you encourage them to expect it. Maybe the next guy will give them an extra picture and the next a map to his house and the next an aerial photograph - being bureaucrats they adopt all of these new customs into their immigration useless paperwork collection. Soon there will be a necessity for agents and web sites to guide people through the mass of new requirements that you have created.

With all government employees of any kind never volunteer anything. No information, no forms, no paperwork. You have the right to remain silent.

If you take that attitude with you to immigration then I suspect you will have problems.

The information for extending a non immigrant visa, retirement.

attachicon.gifimm form.JPG

Note No7. This also applies to a rented property where copies of a rental agreement, and landlord (or lady) details and map of property are required.

I have applied for and received over 12 retirement extensions at many immigration offices in Thailand and have only been asked once for proof of address.

I would imagine the list you provided is from an expat organization which provides assistance to expats and therefore has a vested interest for making things more complicated than they are .

Buy hey. I could be wrong. If the list you provided is from immigration please link it.

The Thai immigration website provides this----

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) Must be 50 years of age or over. (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than. Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a. deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to. the filing date; or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht. 800,000 as of the filing date.
I am all for learning new stuff and if you have a like to immigration asking for proof of address and what that proof is when applying for a retirement extension please list it.
Thanks in advance.

Lostoday !

I am sure your "knowledge" is extensive and you therefore "must" be correct !

Now try obtaining a "retirement " extension in Phuket with no proof of residence and learn how WRONG you are !

Learn some new "stuff" smile.png

Lostoday

If you have documents you know will assist with your application why not supply copies.

I also requested a 90 day peport at the same time. When my passport was returned to me 20 minutes later my extension was stamped in my passport and my 90 day report had been completed.

Have a nice day

I agree there, I'm sorry for your attitude too. You are providing paperwork not asked for and wasting paper and space and complicating a relatively simple procedure.

Extra paper work can not simplify an application it can only make it extra complicated. Have a copy with you. If they ask for it fine. If they don't, don't give them one.

Below is what I bring.

post-232807-0-64451000-1432216579_thumb.

• Like 1

It's not the rental agreement that is the hassle it is getting copies of the owner's passport and the house book as the guy lives in Europe.

Emailed copies from doing a scan of them should be enough.

Half the old guys I see at immigration still have 10 year old Nokia dumbphones...most have probably never sent an email...scanning.attaching, and emailing documents would blow their minds.

It's a very fair point.

Lostoday !

I am sure your "knowledge" is extensive and you therefore "must" be correct !

Now try obtaining a "retirement " extension in Phuket with no proof of residence and learn how WRONG you are !

Learn some new "stuff" smile.png

If you want to post requirements for obtaining a retirement extension in Phuket go right ahead. I know they ask for proof of address as you have made that quite clear here numerous times.

Let me guess you have done one retirement extension in Thailand? Right?

Nothing wrong with that. When you have been around for a while doing retirement extensions from North to South in Thailand it gives you a more rounded level of experience to draw from.

For the phone person above I have a Galaxy S5 with 128 GB memory or something like that. It's nice because I can keep all my records on the phone in case I need them at immigration. I have every piece of information I have ever given the Thai government for a decade in my phone.

Edited by lostoday

Lostoday

Have a nice day

I agree there, I'm sorry for your attitude too. You are providing paperwork not asked for and wasting paper and space and complicating a relatively simple procedure.

Extra paper work can not simplify an application it can only make it extra complicated. Have a copy with you. If they ask for it fine. If they don't, don't give them one.

Below is what I bring.

Again you MUST be correct !

Now show us how you will obtain an extension of stay in Phuket WITHOUT proof of residence !

I do of course note that that "thumbnail" IS NOT referenced to any police order but never mind you MUST BE CORRECT COS YOU SAY SO .

Now explain in very simple language why those of us who live in Phuket have to provide proof of residence .

Is what is being asked illegal and can it be appealed ?

Lostoday

Have a nice day

Again you MUST be correct !

Now show us how you will obtain an extension of stay in Phuket WITHOUT proof of residence !

I do of course note that that "thumbnail" IS NOT referenced to any police order but never mind you MUST BE CORRECT COS YOU SAY SO .

Now explain in very simple language why those of us who live in Phuket have to provide proof of residence .

Is what is being asked illegal and can it be appealed ?

I said it was what I brought not that it was linked to immigration. I also posted what is on the immigration web site. I also wrote "I know they (Phuket) ask for proof of address as you have made that quite clear here numerous times. The only problem is you make out like all the immigration offices want the same thing because of your one time experience at Phuket and that's not correct.

• Like 1

Because bureaucrats love paperwork. There is no rule to ask for proof of residence and by you giving it to them you encourage them to expect it. Maybe the next guy will give them an extra picture and the next a map to his house and the next an aerial photograph - being bureaucrats they adopt all of these new customs into their immigration useless paperwork collection. Soon there will be a necessity for agents and web sites to guide people through the mass of new requirements that you have created.

With all government employees of any kind never volunteer anything. No information, no forms, no paperwork. You have the right to remain silent.

If you take that attitude with you to immigration then I suspect you will have problems.

Note No7. This also applies to a rented property where copies of a rental agreement, and landlord (or lady) details and map of property are required.

I have applied for and received over 12 retirement extensions at many immigration offices in Thailand and have only been asked once for proof of address.

I would imagine the list you provided is from an expat organization which provides assistance to expats and therefore has a vested interest for making things more complicated than they are .

Buy hey. I could be wrong. If the list you provided is from immigration please link it.

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) Must be 50 years of age or over. (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than. Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a. deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to. the filing date; or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht. 800,000 as of the filing date.
I am all for learning new stuff and if you have a like to immigration asking for proof of address and what that proof is when applying for a retirement extension please list it.
Thanks in advance.

My post is a photo of a document that was given to me by the immigration office at Lop Buri, it is what they require and I have no problem with complying.

I don't need to link to anything I know what the (very friendly and helpful) immigration office I attend requires and I provide it.

Up to you what you do and what you believe but I give you a word of advice.

Get rid of your negative and provocative attitude and you will find dealing with immigration, and life in general in Thailand, much easier.

• Like 2

Thanks in advance.

My post is a photo of a document that was given to me by the immigration office at Lop Buri, it is what they require and I have no problem with complying.

I don't need to link to anything I know what the (very friendly and helpful) immigration office I attend requires and I provide it.

Get rid of your negative and provocative attitude and you will find dealing with immigration, and life in general in Thailand, much easier.

Well said !

I am pleased you have a positive relationship with Immigration , many of us do.smile.png

. It is the ones with the aggressive , nasty, ignorant , abusive , negative attitudes that experience "problems" !

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I've always given immigration anything they asked for in a timely manner and never had any problems. I have never given them more than they asked for.

That was my point. Don't make up requirements, like maps to your house or photos of you and the Mrs when applying for a retirement visa. Don't give em any ideas how to make it harder for us poor old expats.

I also think it is a big mistake to take your wife when applying for a retirement visa. Nothing to do with her and only creates problems. But that's my opinion.

You have the advantage when they think they have to explain stuff in English.

Don't smile, don't frown, be neutral and nice and act dumb rather than smart. But that's only my opinion. Your milage may vary.

Thanks for the advice. I've always given immigration anything they asked for in a timely manner and never had any problems. I have never given them more than they asked for.

That was my point. Don't make up requirements, like maps to your house or photos of you and the Mrs when applying for a retirement visa. Don't give em any ideas how to make it harder for us poor old expats.

I also think it is a big mistake to take your wife when applying for a retirement visa. Nothing to do with her and only creates problems. But that's my opinion.

Don't smile, don't frown, be neutral and nice and act dumb rather than smart. But that's only my opinion. Your milage may vary.

When you visit an immigration office where little or no English is spoken IMHO it is a big advantage to take your wife / GF with you especially if (like me) your Thai language skills are not adequate enough to allow a detailed discussion with the immigration officer in the event of an issue....but that's just me

I was applying an Extension Of Stay based on retirement. Not a retirement visa. Documents must be different for a retirement visa

I do smile, interact with the Immigration staff I deal with and take my wife with me

The notion of requiring some formal proof of residence at part of renewing retirement extensions depends on which Immigration office is handling your application.

As noted here, some offices do require such documentation. But nothwithstanding the clips that a couple of people have posted above, the main Immigration Office in Bangkok has NOT been requiring that kind of residency proof. I've been renewing retirement extensions in BKK for years and never been asked to prove my residency -- although I always bring a copy of my rental agreement with me just in case. Never yet been asked to produce it.

here also is another, separate thread currently running on this exact same topic. And not one poster has chimed in there either saying that BKK is requiring proof of residency documents. So, as I said, YMMV depending on the Immigration Office involved.

I was applying an Extension Of Stay based on retirement. Not a retirement visa. Documents must be different for a retirement visa

I do smile, interact with the Immigration staff I deal with and take my wife with me

There is NO "Retirement Visa" that can be applied for inside or outside Thailand !

You were wise and well informed in applying for an "Extension Of Stay based on retirement." smile.png

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

There is NO "Retirement Visa" that can be applied for inside or outside Thailand !

You were wise and well informed in applying for an "Extension Of Stay based on retirement." smile.png

I thouht a Non immigrant O based on retirement can be applied for at any Thai embassy and is valid for 2 years.

Anthony5

I am sure you believe that to be "good " advice !

Let us hope no one is mislead by that mistaken ,bad and totally Wrong misinformation ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well yes, probably the Thai immigration is posting misinformation on their website.

http://mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Now since this is a VISA which is issued under the exact same conditions/requirements as an extension of stay based on retirement, this can be called a retirement visa.

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 2

This year i changed from a rental property to live in the girlfriends village home. I dont have a rental agreement anymore so need advice for residency confirmation for my future visa extention based on retirement. I have also been advised that she somehow has to advise immigration that there is an alien residing in her house. I live in the Lampang area that does not have a local immigration office.

• Like 1

This year i changed from a rental property to live in the girlfriends village home. I dont have a rental agreement anymore so need advice for residency confirmation for my future visa extention based on retirement. I have also been advised that she somehow has to advise immigration that there is an alien residing in her house. I live in the Lampang area that does not have a local immigration office.

A signed copy of the house owner's ID card and blue house book is what I provide for proof of address.

Form TM30 is used to advise immigration of an alien living in a Thai residence.

It can be downloaded from http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

Edited by mxyzptlk
  • Like 1

Your assigned immigration office is Chiang Mai. But there is an office in Lampang where you can do your 90 day reports See. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/675650-new-lampang-immigration-office/#entry6958683

Your girlfriend will need to write a short note stating you are staying in her home with a copies of her house book and ID card attached to it. They may also want a TM30 form signed by her.

• Like 1

I can tell you what I did. I had the GF give me a signed lease (download from internet generic Thai lease form) a copy of the house book and copy of her ID card both signed by her and utility bills plus a filled out TM 30 form filled out. I keep these in my briefcase just in case immigration wants them but I have never been asked for them.

• Like 2

I provided a copy of the Lease Agreement, a copy of the Thai property owner's legal documents what ever they are called, and a copy of the Thai owner's Thai National ID Card. It is a good thing I took them as they ask for them ... looked at every page closely. Krabi Imm.

I actually presented the original of the lease agreement but gave them a copy to keep.

I found that having extra documentation such as a water bill, cable bill, electric bill - even though they did not want them - and gave them back... I believe It showed that my efforts were to show authentic information and over all it seem to help in the 'atmosphere / tone' in the meeting. Having more information than required shows good faith in my opinion.

Edited by JDGRUEN

I provided a copy of the Lease Agreement, a copy of the Thai property owner's legal documents what ever they are called, and a copy of the Thai owner's Thai National ID Card. It is a good thing I took them as they ask for them ... looked at every page closely. Krabi Imm.

I actually presented the original of the lease agreement but gave them a copy to keep.

I found that having extra documentation such as a water bill, cable bill, electric bill - even though they did not want them - and gave them back... I believe It showed that my efforts were to show authentic information and over all it seem to help in the overall 'atmosphere / attitude' in the meeting. Having more information than required shows good faith in my opinion.

Two interesting points of view. I give them the least amount of paperwork to look at (I have the rest in a bag but don't offer it) and you who give them the maximum (maps and photos of you and the wife - stuff not required for retirement extension).

I don't like to meet with them. I feel like a hunk of meat being sized up for the kill.

I'm quiet and act stupid and you are gregarious and act like their friend.

Interesting difference in approach.