Retirement Visa New Rules?

Many offices ask for proof of residence like he was asked for. I don't recall it being asked for at Jomtien before but I suspect it is not that unusual.

It has been standard in Phuket since last October. You can actually register the address any time as long as it is done before the next retirement extension.

You only have to do it once (unless you move to a new address) as they clip a slip into your passport saying you have done it, and that remains, transferring to a new passport if you renew one.

Edited by Farang99
  • Like 2

So has mine but Immigration will not accept a DL as proof of address .

Immigration wants copy my landlords ID, house book and rental agreement.

Perhaps they send it to the tax authorities so they can claim rental tax.

yes they should collect rental tax,

its fair to any other tax payer in LOS !!

Many offices ask for proof of residence like he was asked for. I don't recall it being asked for at Jomtien before but I suspect it is not that unusual.

It has been standard in Phuket since last October. You can actually register the address any time as long as it is done before the next retirement extension.

You only have to do it once (unless you move to a new address) as they clip a slip into your passport saying you have done it, and that remains, transferring to a new passport if you renew one.

The thing is people are saying this and that, obviously what applies to them at the office they go to. So there will be a wide variance in what and how something is done.

Every Immigration office has it's own rules, changing them whenever bored or dozing head hits computer keyboard.

Count on rules changing immediately after your first successful visit -- letting you, ( wallet bulging), out the door twice

without paying a "toll" is reason for discharge ! All that is lacking is a mask as most are already armed and dangerous.

• Like 1

I have had a Retirement isa for 11 years and never been asked for my landlords details.

Most of us could write the same or a close version of what you have just posted, but things have changed.

It appears to me that if your name is on the database you may not be effected at all.

However, if your landlord has never registered your stay, or you have moved to another region, or it is a new application, proof of address in some form or another will be required.

Thos living with a Thai partner, or renting privately from a Thai are likely to be most inconvenienced as it is most likely neither the applicant, his wife or landlord, have been aware of the regulation.

I have had a Retirement isa for 11 years and never been asked for my landlords details.

Most of us could write the same or a close version of what you have just posted, but things have changed.

It appears to me that if your name is on the database you may not be effected at all.

However, if your landlord has never registered your stay, or you have moved to another region, or it is a new application, proof of address in some form or another will be required.

Thos living with a Thai partner, or renting privately from a Thai are likely to be most inconvenienced as it is most likely neither the applicant, his wife or landlord, have been aware of the regulation.

I would question that - more likely different offices have different policies which is the information in this thread seems to support.

One of these days YOU won't have the required documentation and won't be able to get it before your extension expires. What ya gonna do then?

Just keep telling yourself that it's OK for them to make up requirements just to stuff the stupid farangs around.

The requirements for address are satisfied when you move somewhere and give the correct form to immigration. Also satisfied by the 90 day rule- why the need to do it every year?

If it wasn't required two years ago, what has changed that it is needed now?

This is not the work of people that wish us to stay in LOS.

You can apply 30 to 45 days in advance. Always a good idea. Also no bribes because the official knows you have time to get anything he may require.

Not sure you can apply that early in advance (45 days) but 15 days certainly and should be more than enough time to produce any required paperwork.

30 days at all offices 45 at some offices.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769712-extending-retirement-visa-how-soon-before-it-expires-can-it-be-extended/

• Like 1

My friend returned to Jomtien immigration today with the request for the four pieces of docs in hand: Copy of overseas owner's passport, copy of house book, copy of rental agreement and letter from the condo office. Now they tell him he needs to have the condo office doc signed and stamped and house book. So he goes back to the condo office and the perplexed lady says they have done this for ages and they always do it the same so she calls them by telephone. After the call she signs and stamps it and says it is okay. So he returns to Jomtien and the lady says not acceptable where is house book and her id card from office? He politely informs her he has provided all docs as requested plus made the extra effort on the condo doc. She then says the house book copies he gave her are no good because they had been sent electronically and not physically photo copied. He politely left and plans to speak with a higher authority on Monday as well as the US embassy. He is not impressed and may cancel his retirement plans altogether. He believes he has all docs in order. The lady handling his case also stated in the meeting "these are new rules and this is my office" lol.

• Like 1

So he will go back next week and check further. I think there are stricter rules for showing residency being enforced. Immigration is just doing there job as they see it but it would be better to see clearer direction in documents etc. outlining exactly what is required:)

My friend returned to Jomtien immigration today with the request for the four pieces of docs in hand: Copy of overseas owner's passport, copy of house book, copy of rental agreement and letter from the condo office. Now they tell him he needs to have the condo office doc signed and stamped and house book. So he goes back to the condo office and the perplexed lady says they have done this for ages and they always do it the same so she calls them by telephone. After the call she signs and stamps it and says it is okay. So he returns to Jomtien and the lady says not acceptable where is house book and her id card from office? He politely informs her he has provided all docs as requested plus made the extra effort on the condo doc. She then says the house book copies he gave her are no good because they had been sent electronically and not physically photo copied. He politely left and plans to speak with a higher authority on Monday as well as the US embassy. He is not impressed and may cancel his retirement plans altogether. He believes he has all docs in order. The lady handling his case also stated in the meeting "these are new rules and this is my office" lol.

It's a sad state of affairs. And this was very astutely predicted by another poster on another thread. In effect this is some form of procedural dispute between immigration and the landlord (or provider), and of course wouldn't you know it your friend is caught in the middle, being the only one to actually uphold his side of the agreement by providing all requested documentation.

It seems the alleged new rules are entirely open to the interpretation of the office, or the individual handling the application, and that's that!

Very worrying for all. What now the advice to just give them what they want?

I need to say there are quite a few posters coming on with stories that suggest things are not as as usual as you might think. For some at least.

Well hopefully it is as simple as random document checks or perhaps some confusion with resuming the type o visas. I guess time will tell.

I think the title "Retirement Visa" confused a lot of people. I thought you were talking about getting an extension of a retirement visa. I think most people thought Jomtien stopped giving those a few months ago.

My apologies for posting as I have never gotten a Visa in Thailand. I got mine from my home country which was very easy. I've only done extensions in Thailand.

Anthony5

I am sure you believe that to be "good " advice !

Let us hope no one is mislead by that mistaken ,bad and totally Wrong misinformation ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well yes, probably the Thai immigration is posting misinformation on their website.

http://mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Now since this is a VISA which is issued under the exact same conditions/requirements as an extension of stay based on retirement, this can be called a retirement visa.

Oh look there is such a thing as a retirement visa after all issued in the applicant's home country different to the extension of stay based on retirement many of us have.Actually I've personally known a couple of guys with this so it's not that surprising..

Anthony5

I am sure you believe that to be "good " advice !

Let us hope no one is mislead by that mistaken ,bad and totally Wrong misinformation ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well yes, probably the Thai immigration is posting misinformation on their website.

http://mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Now since this is a VISA which is issued under the exact same conditions/requirements as an extension of stay based on retirement, this can be called a retirement visa.

Oh look there is such a thing as a retirement visa after all issued in the applicant's home country different to the extension of stay based on retirement many of us have.Actually I've personally known a couple of guys with this so it's not that surprising..

Seems to me the moderators are always understanding enough to know what people are talking about if they say retirement extension or retirement visa it is only a couple of pedantic posters trying to be cute who make a point of correcting everyone.

• Like 1

One of these days YOU won't have the required documentation and won't be able to get it before your extension expires. What ya gonna do then?

Just keep telling yourself that it's OK for them to make up requirements just to stuff the stupid farangs around.

The requirements for address are satisfied when you move somewhere and give the correct form to immigration. Also satisfied by the 90 day rule- why the need to do it every year?

For minor paperwork issues, they sometimes give a short (7 day) extension. If not, what's the problem...just hop over the border to the nearest Thai embassy and get another "O" visa and wash, rinse, and repeat your one-year extension.

Oh wow, I'm so happy that you have the funds to do that. Not all us do.

For minor paperwork issues, they sometimes give a short (7 day) extension. If not, what's the problem...just hop over the border to the nearest Thai embassy and get another "O" visa and wash, rinse, and repeat your one-year extension.

Maybe you should reconsider living overseas if you can't afford a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds to take care of a visa (or health or something else) issue that may arise. Some of you guys must be really living on the edge.

• Like 1

You can apply 30 to 45 days in advance. Always a good idea. Also no bribes because the official knows you have time to get anything he may require.

While you may be happy to q up at 4 am every morning till you get lucky enough to be seen, I am not.

you have time to get anything he may require

What about the people that have to get passport copies from landlords that live in Europe and can't contact them?

If I hadn't managed to get my appointment on line 3 weeks early and only got it a couple of days before, would I have time?

The requirements should be written down and published on the Immigration website, and if not there shouldn't be a requirement to produce anything that isn't published. The present system of inventing requirements is Micky Duck BS.

Maybe you should reconsider living overseas if you can't afford a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds to take care of a visa (or health or something else) issue that may arise. Some of you guys must be really living on the edge.

Why do you think that YOU can tell me how to live here? You know nothing about my situation or my reasons for living here.

You think it's cheaper living back home where I can't afford to rent somewhere and eat on the pension? You think health care is free back home? You think I can afford a dentist back home? You know nothing about my homeland or my life.

While you may be happy to q up at 4 am every morning till you get lucky enough to be seen, I am not.

you have time to get anything he may require

What about the people that have to get passport copies from landlords that live in Europe and can't contact them?

If I hadn't managed to get my appointment on line 3 weeks early and only got it a couple of days before, would I have time?

The requirements should be written down and published on the Immigration website, and if not there shouldn't be a requirement to produce anything that isn't published. The present system of inventing requirements is Micky Duck BS.

I'm not a mug. I left CM before it became overrun with tourists so I don't have to que up. But I hear what you are saying and agree. There should be one list of things that are required and Thais and Farangs should not be starting rumors about what is necessary.

This constant bickering about what is a retirement visa and what is a retirement extension could be stopped in a heartbeat with a page of definitions and your list of requirements would be just as easy. Post a list of the immigration offices and under each office a list of what is required for that office.

Now you got people spamming for agencies with odd questions and requirements and wannabe experts who have been here a couple of days trying to impress someone.

This is not rocket science. Pattaya requires this....... CM requires this...... Phuket requires this....... and send a copy to the government once a year so they can see how screwy the local Napoleons are.

It is not like it would be hard to do. The only downside is; it would be organized and helpful to everyone.

Every Immigration office has it's own rules, changing them whenever bored or dozing head hits computer keyboard.

Count on rules changing immediately after your first successful visit -- letting you, ( wallet bulging), out the door twice

without paying a "toll" is reason for discharge ! All that is lacking is a mask as most are already armed and dangerous.

The POINT is that it's should be a NATIONAL STANDARD, not a bunch of bureaucrats making things up because they are bored and want to see how many farangs they can upset. There should also be some reason for the requirements, and there isn't any logical requirement for proof of address for a retirement extension. That is done every 90 days.

The POINT is that it's should be a NATIONAL STANDARD, not a bunch of bureaucrats making things up because they are bored and want to see how many farangs they can upset. There should also be some reason for the requirements, and there isn't any logical requirement for proof of address for a retirement extension. That is done every 90 days.

Never going to happen. Next best thing is use Thai Visa as the National Standard and post the differences for each office.

National Standard would take years. Organize a thread about local requirements on Thai Visa a couple of hours.

So he will go back next week and check further. I think there are stricter rules for showing residency being enforced. Immigration is just doing there job as they see it but it would be better to see clearer direction in documents etc. outlining exactly what is required:)

So, what is the point of the 90 day report and the requirement to notify immigration when moving somewhere?

The real question is WHY the new requirements have been introduced.

If this charade keeps up, I can see many people moving to Cambodia. I doubt the Thai immigration will care though.

If I can't find out what documentation I need before going to immigration and in the middle of the procedure it is complete BS and there is no excuse for it.

Never going to happen. Next best thing is use Thai Visa as the National Standard and post the differences for each office.

National Standard would take years. Organize a thread about local requirements on Thai Visa a couple of hours.

When I posted on TV to ascertain the requirements of obtaining a new extension, only ONE poster mentioned proof of address, as an aside. I took my yellow book just to be safe, but people are now saying they have to have householder's blue book id card and other things- had I been asked for them I would not have my extension now. What is to stop them inventing even more bizarre requirements just because they want to? One poster was asked for photos of his wife <deleted>. Since when was being married a requirement for retirement extension?