Plans to ruin Jomtien Beach?

Emster23

About 100 feet from Dongtan police station is billboard, seemingly to show master plan for Beach Road area. Cut down all large trees (ones left from last hack job), get rid of benches, circles folks like to meet in, etc. Make things look like shoulder of freeway: totally pedestrian unfriendly. Pop in some scrawny palms... This could not be worse design if they held competition, imho.
How about use money for proper storm drain run offs? Public toilets and showers? Put the benches back? Use money left over for some sewage treatment (I know, all about looks, and who can see bacteria?). Will eliminate crime problem as no one will want to go there...post-86628-0-52309400-1432201205_thumb.jpost-86628-0-08693700-1432201231_thumb.j

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is dejavu all over again....remember the nice drawings of the new Beach Prominade? And the discussions/ debates how the new change would or would not meet up to the drawing's expectations. Since Beach Road was widen, what was left of the Indigenous tree were removed (they not only provided shade but their roots were vital to stop beach erosion) and the unnamed company that had the contract to lay the brick on the prominade failed to make sure the retaining walls were stable or there were even retaining walls. So now the prominade along Beach Road is slowly crumbling away as predicted. If the city cannot do a project first class then they should leave things alone. Yes, water treatment, sewage treatment and maintaining the city's infrastructure is more important than their "Disney Land" dreams. (Note: I do like the new change of the Beach Rd prominade because it is wider to walk on and I certainly see more people using it in the evenings and early mornings. True, it is hot in the day time without the old trees.)

I wouldn't put too much faith in some artist rendering. Improvements to this beach are long overdue.

Unfortunately, the "artist rendering" of the project looks similar to what was posted prior to the Pattaya Beach Road development disaster. It sure does not look like an "improvement" to me. I think it will be extremely hot and uninviting.

Barbarians if they intend to do the same massacre/mutilation as on Pattaya beach.

In 2013 (?) I watched them cutting down old shadow donating trees near Soi 12 (opposite Sarita hotel).

What a shame!

They've done away with the big trees and all the deck chairs and beach umbrellas too. Looks like a recipe to make Jomtien a ghost beach.

I've been going there every year for some years now.

If this vandalism goes ahead, count me OUT!

They did the same to Kuta beach Bali, years ago, and it's looked like a desert ever since.

Yes it's sad they don't listen to us, no Asian person will walk there in the sun, getting fried.

I now only take walks on Pattaya beach promenade when it's overcast and windy because I don't wants to get fried too.

Just look at the Chinese tourists coming home from the speed boats rides, they all gang up under the few big trees left and it can be difficult passing them.

Khun Major, take notice please, we wants shade from old beautiful bushy trees and not some naked looking palm trees giving almost no shade.

I wouldn't put too much faith in some artist rendering. Improvements to this beach are long overdue.

ThaiBob its people like you who were saying stuff like

'Dont jump to conclusions give them a chance bla bla bla.

The whole time they were ripping apart beach road and cutting all the

trees down.

While loads of Expats were screaming from day one to STOP

or they would ruin beach road.

Guess what? They ruined beach road..

trees down.

Gee I wonder why they dont ask for public comments on these beach road projects?

You seem to mistakenly assume they give a toss what expats think.

I would love to see public hearing held at noon for two hours with decision makers required to remain full time, in the unshaded part near football field. Get testimony from all those for destruction. Then hold anti hearing under the trees next day (or maybe from 2-4?), if any of the decision makers are not on way to hospital for heat stroke. I believe bringing things out in "light of day"... but this a bit much.

Like I said, sewage treatment could still result in enough palm greasing... I do wish they had some imagination and ability to look into future further than 10 minutes... this will be bad for businesses all along beach road: who would want to go there? Not me, and been living here about 9 years.

This is Thailand, where logic and common sense are on permanent vacation. They have a knack for fixing what is not broken and ignoring things that should be repaired! One of the main attractions to quiet Jomtien is the pleasant beach walk, ..so naturally, it needs to be demolished!!

The beach from the Jomtien corner going South is a festering shit heap and should be bomber out of existence, starting with those rotten smelly bins and surrounds that make people want to puke.

And I can't understand why a pathway has to have twists and turns, ups and downs, anything wrong with straight? What is it with these clowns who design this stuff. Is the new development going to be any better - I doubt it.

Hope they do a better job than they did with Pattaya Beach Road. Bad lighting, bad trash handling, bad pedestrian control, bad landscaping, bad retaining walls, no seating, etc. The one thing that should have been the top priority, improving the sidewalks on the shop side, was not addressed at all. What a lost opportunity to eliminate parking from Festival Mall to Walking Street and create grand sidewalks on both sides of the road--with the shop side maybe having a sun/rain awning with festive lighting in the evening. Would be so pleasant to walk from Festival Mall down to Royal Garden, walking in and out of shops, and then on to Walking Street--people watching and enjoying the ocean views. Instead it is so unpleasant walking single file and sometimes having to walk out in the traffic. Just no imagination whatsoever at work here.

Jomtien Beach Road needs all sidewalks repaired--why not use concrete this time? The pavers don't hold up at all and need constant maintenance--which never happens. Parking needs to be eliminated on the narrow stretch of Beach Road at the southern end--the road is barely wide enough for 2 cars even without being blocked by cars parked. Either that or widen the road. Hopefully the city will do a better job with trash collection--lidded bins are needed on the beach at frequent intervals. Restroom/shower facility would be nice, too. Permanent seating and some public gathering areas with shade, make it welcoming.

This is why you don't buy property in Thailand............what you moved there for may not be there down the road - Jomtien case in point - was and still am considering moving there - or was until I read this - already destroyed the trees on my early am walk path. Hotel I stayed in had a bar open across the street so no sleeping anymore so stopped going.

I say fix what's there. Improve? Take a walk along the malacon at Pattaya Beach, see the quality "improvements" made there.

Little update: a few loads of tight shirted cops and perhaps some bureaucrats down at soi 7 today. Some spray paint markings on area of circle (?). That is not a good sign... Friend reports they took down the billboard with plans... out of sight, out of mind? Cannot personally confirm. What they don't know can hurt them.

Personally I like the curving paths. Pavers not greatest idea, considering how many have been taken out near north end of football field. Not that long ago used to be plenty of benches, decent number of concrete trash bins. All removed in "stop crime" campaign I was told by straight faced cop... Maybe they want to get rid of paths because umbrella folks seem to be responsible for daily sweeping. Heaven forbid if city should do anything to maintain the beach.

Who approved this plan? Were there any public hearings? Who's got the contract and who do they know in government?

trees down.

Gee I wonder why they dont ask for public comments on these beach road projects?

You seem to mistakenly assume they give a toss what expats think.

You mistakenly think this is a democracy!!

I visited Jomtien Beach for the first time earlier this year. I was appalled (as was my Thai wife) by the disgusting mess of a beach and the vile noise from the pick-ups with booming sh*te "music".

Will never again come near this circle of Hell. Staying a week in Chernobyl would be a better holiday bet.

Funny you should mention the Destruction Of Jomtien Beach as the Destruction Of Pattaya Beach completed a year ago

has begun to crumble and the paving blocks are being washed out to sea. The lovely " Evening Blossoms"

as well as beach lovers have nowhere to be seated so lounge on the ground. They "trimmed" almost all the shade producing branches off the trees

and chopped off branches they deemed unsightly. Progress, doncha just love it ?

Archived