Plans to ruin Jomtien Beach?

Emster23

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not realize how quickly a city could be transformed by negligence...!

Not just negligence but by design Take Pattaya beach for example: Once a relaxing beachfront with nice atmosphere and trees including eucalyptus. That has now been ruined and taken over by big touring business. This transformation , taking the whole city with, is into a seedy , congested 3rd string seaside mass touring destination.

Maybe Jomtien beach is next.

Criminal negligence. Did they hold a competition over worst, least tourist friendly makeover? I will never visit Nong Nooch garden again for being part of this crime against nature and good sense

Amazing! All they needed to do was work around it. There was no need to cut down this massive shade tree. Lots of farangs and Thais used to sit underneath this particular tree across from soi 7. Now it is gone forever, along with the shade/beauty it once provided.

post-110622-0-89068700-1433816808_thumb.

post-110622-0-48428200-1433816822_thumb.

post-110622-0-58521000-1433816831_thumb.

post-110622-0-79730300-1433816840_thumb.

Amazing! All they needed to do was work around it. There was no need to cut down this massive shade tree. Lots of farangs and Thais used to sit underneath this particular tree across from soi 7. Now it is gone forever, along with the shade/beauty it once provided.

attachicon.gifupdate 9 June 2015a.jpg

attachicon.gifupdate 9 June 2015b.jpg

attachicon.gifupdate 9 June 2015c.jpg

attachicon.gifupdate 9 June 2015d.jpg

The tree was cut by a cowboy contractor for it's monetary wood value. As mentioned before, this is what happened at the northern section of Dongtan Beach.

It's a shame the shade trees are being chopped down. What Jomtien Beach Road needs instead: the broken and collapsing sidewalks repaired; many more and better trash cans with lids, including trash cans on the beach; better lighting and better lighting maintenance; new restroom/shower changing rooms; better public seating; better beach maintenance, including the purchase of beach sand sweeping machines; parking eliminated on the narrow section of beach road at the south past Cetus condo; public parking lots constructed on vacant, unused land now filled with trash; new cross streets constructed or widened between Beach Road and Jomtien Second Road; and sidewalks improved on the shop side of Beach Road.

This is really bad news but I guess we just have to wait and see how it will look like when it's finished. In the meantime feel free to get rid of your trash anywhere on the beach.

How about just picking up the garbage and leaving the trees.

Logic is not part of "this world." Today they seemed to take great pleasure in cutting down several old-growth trees that have probably been on Jomtien Beach for 80-100 years. They are deliberately targeting the most beautiful trees that provide the maximum amount of shade and mitigate sand erosion. Are they insane?

I saw this man eagerly running to join in on the tree massacre:

post-110622-0-33966900-1433931849_thumb.

Pretty sure city hall is aware of the thousands of criticizing complaints and counting that the thaivisa foreigners have made about the ruining of Pattaya beach. And pretty sure that some there resent it. Makes you wonder why city hall is making a special project to do just the same thing to Jomtien ??

It was just a few weeks ago that I commented that I liked Jomtien because it has a nice atmosphere , the way Pattaya used to be

And just because Im a little paranoid does not mean that the motivation for this project is questionable..

Pretty sure city hall is aware of the thousands of criticizing complaints and counting that the thaivisa foreigners have made about the ruining of Pattaya beach. And pretty sure that some there resent it. Makes you wonder why city hall is making a special project to do just the same thing to Jomtien ??

It was just a few weeks ago that I commented that I liked Jomtien because it has a nice atmosphere , the way Pattaya used to be

And just because Im a little paranoid does not mean that the motivation for this project is questionable..

I would doubt that, I doubt city hall has any interest in anything but their own little worlds, I mean there are a lot of farang media groups and so on that will tell them what great people they are and what a good job they do and can we have our photo taken with you, but I doubt it gets past that

I can not believe the city has not read the forms and is not fully aware what farang

think of their so called beach improvements...

They are going to do what they want and they could care less what any one thinks..

8 June 2015 update: The big digging machines are out and the first old-growth tree has been cut down:

attachicon.gif8 June 2015a.jpg

attachicon.gif8 June 2015b.jpg

At this point, I am not convinced that they will cut down all of the old-growth trees.

Maybe they are not as crazy as I suspect. Maybe the earth is flat.

I have lived here too long to know if the contractor can make some profit by chopping the indigenous trees that took so long to get to their size of today, provides shade, and most of all stops erosion--he doesn't give a hoot. Only thinks of the money.

In regard to the Jomtien Beach renovation, if you expect City Hall to do a good job on any project you only need to visit the City Hall building to get your answer as to why they are incapable of doing successful, well-thought out, imaginative projects for Pattaya and Jomtien. I visited there two weeks ago and for a fairly large city, I don't think I have ever seen a city administrative building that is such a mess. The walls are dirty and need repainting, there are hundreds of boxes and what looks like trash as well as used furniture stacked up haphazardly everywhere in the halls and offices and even in some of the foyer areas. All the offices I saw were messy and showed little organization. Signage is bad or non-existent--for example, no signs in the parking garage elevators, even in Thai, to tell you which floor to get off of for the office you are seeking. If this is the way they manage their own house it's no wonder projects turn out bad and so many parts of Pattaya and Jomtien lack basic maintenance such as the road medians being mowed, burned out street lights fixed, sidewalks and roads repaired, and flood drains cleaned regularly.

As much as I hate seeing the senseless destruction of old-growth trees, I should point out that today I saw them doing less butchering and more trimming, leaving some of the shade trees intact. I hope they stop the butchering and continue trimming as an alternative. If there is a trend it is this: if the tree is very large and old and beautiful, it is marked for death. If it is not that large, it may only be trimmed. Whatever, as the OP pointed out, this is a crime. IMHO, it is a crime against future generations who will never know or experience what Jomtien Beach was like before the tree massacres, first around 2002, then 4-5 years after that, and then now. Twenty years ago it was amazing--lots of large shade trees as far as they eye could see. It was basically the same situation in Pattaya, but less so. People forget that Pattaya Beach was once lined with lots of shade trees and the pathway was plenty wide and there were lots of nice places to sit in the shade. They even had grass in some places and flower gardens (this was before the development prior to the last one). Now, tourists and locals have to huddle underneath the remaining shade trees. And the pathway, no matter what the idiots say, is narrower. They reduced the width of the pathway by the width of one traffic lane, making it narrower in many places, not wider (duh, doh). One poster asked if they were widening the road along Jomtien Beach. I see no evidence of that. I think they are creating a flat, boring, extemely hot, tourists unfriendly wasteland. They are removing all of the sitting/gathering areas. I guess they do not want farangs or Thais sitting in the shade except under the rented umbrellas. It is interesting to see them exposing the area above the drainage pipe, which could be replaced by a much large one in order to deal with flooding. But I am sure they will do nothing about that even though the opportunity is presenting itself. It is a FUBAR project.

I can not believe the city has not read the forms and is not fully aware what farang

think of their so called beach improvements......

Having taught English at City Hall, I can guarantee you that there is nobody (or maybe one or two) at City Hall that can understand what you just posted. Not only that they don't read TV.

think of their so called beach improvements......

Having taught English at City Hall, I can guarantee you that there is nobody (or maybe one or two) at City Hall that can understand what you just posted. Not only that they don't read TV.

Well surely they are smart enough to use google translate. lol

In one of the latest weeklies: 2 - Year Jomtien Beach facelift underway. For 270 million baht, about $8 million. Later in article says the Pattaya beach redevelopment project was 600 million baht ! Thats 600 000 000/33 B/$ . About $ 18 million !?

In one of the latest weeklies: 2 - Year Jomtien Beach facelift underway. For 270 million baht, about $8 million. Later in article says the Pattaya beach redevelopment project was 600 million baht ! Thats 600 000 000/33 B/$ . About $ 18 million !?

18 million and they ran out before the seats were installed, those must have been expensive cobblestones

They massacred yet another old-growth tree this morning--perhaps the oldest tree of its kind on Jomtien Beach.

post-110622-0-26305500-1434253131_thumb.

The pic is right before it came down after some "trimming." I saw many Thais sitting across the street from where this was happening and their faces told me they were not too happy about it (wish they would do something to stop it).

I also saw a few owners of restaurants/hotels along the beach and they seemed to be all smiles. If you sit in one of their restaurants, you do have a better view of the beach/ocean after the massacre/trimming. I guess that is why they are smiling, thinking it will all be good for their business.

They seem to be creating one "thin line" of shade trees, spaced far apart, and cutting down anything else. In the end there will be some shade, but not enough. It is going to be one hot promenade!

We will have to wait and see what they do in terms of seating arrangements, but given what they did in Pattaya, I am guessing that not much will be done. During the day it will probably be too hot to enjoy the place; during the night the area will be flooded by the "concentration camp lights." Charming!

Just drove down Pattaya Beach road about a half hour ago. There are some benches to sit on at the northern part but they peter out as you move south--guess the money ran out. Sandbags are still along most of the walkway--ridiculous after a major renovation. The new light poles--the ugly ones with the blue lights at night--are mostly all starting to lose their paint--they look like they are about 30 years old instead of a year or so old. The Walking Street entrance area needed the most work but they started at the north and, again, ran out of money before they got to WS. Why they don't do at least a temporary fix-up is beyond me--all these Chinese tourists walking in the street by the turn in front of WS because there are no sidewalks and trying to cross the street willy nilly. What a mess.

Archived