Your Opinion Would Be Deeply Appreciated......

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

Please see attached "worksheet" which was a one hour (60 minutes) lesson for grade six students last Friday at my school, taught by a colleague who had them in grade five.

The same guy was whining about his contact hours and made it happen that I've got two more hours a week. It was great fun to teach them about their own province, the capital of Thailand and all went well.

All students participated well and they really enjoyed my lesson.

But when I checked their answers to my questions, I saw what they did the week before and was/still am shocked.

What's your input? Would you really want to teach the kids who had this guy the year before? Just curious. gigglem.gif

post-158336-0-74387800-1432297580_thumb.

I think you are losing it to be honest.

You have been having a go at "your" school on an open forum for some time now.

Now you are having a go at collegues. I think you need to take a step back and see if you are really as wonderful as you think you are.

P.S. I've checked some other kids' notebooks and none had an apostrophe, comma, etc...so that's basically what this guy's lesson looked like.

But <deleted> needs apostrophes, commas and full stops?

Now you are having a go at collegues. I think you need to take a step back and see if you are really as wonderful as you think you are.

Maybe you should learn how to spell colleagues first? I remember that you're one of these guys always criticizing my posts.

I never made a statement that I think that I'm a wonderful teacher, but I know what I'm doing.

I'm only wondering why some guys send me private messages. Maybe because of people like you?

I don't get this I'm afraid. Is your complaint the lack of apostrophes in the contractions and other poor/ confusing punctuation? I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to teach the child who put in that 'worksheet'.

EDIT: Sorry was this document provided to the students by the teacher, or is it an example of the student or the notes a student made in class?

Maybe you should learn how to spell colleagues first? I remember that you're one of these guys always criticizing my posts.

I never made a statement that I think that I'm a wonderful teacher, but I know what I'm doing.

I'm only wondering why some guys send me private messages. Maybe because of people like you?

Apologies for my typing error.

I have been teaching here longer than you. Fact. I have never slagged a school off online. Fact. I have never, and never will attack a fellow worker on an open forum.

You don't need to make a statement. What you write speaks volumes.

You really don't like where you are teaching. There is an echo on this forum with regards to what you post. " Move on and forget about it". It really is that simple.

As I pointed out on another thread, not being critical but constructive, you should make sure you know all the facts. Even then you should not post on an open forum. You never know who is watching.

That "worksheet" isn't a work sheet.. It's basic conversation role play notes. Without being in the teachers class not sure but I suspect that was a conversation class. Kids practicing greetings!

Maybe you need to get one of them spy cameras in a clock, and really go to town!

Hey LII I don't know what your point is but if that is a picture of someone else's work, whether a colleague or a student, I really think you should take it down. I think it is improper and unethical to post this sort of stuff. In addition to that I just can't work out where you are coming from - I really can't understand it at all. What is your point? What is this about?

Hey LII I don't know what your point is but if that is a picture of someone else's work, whether a colleague or a student, I really think you should take it down. I think it is improper and unethical to post this sort of stuff. In addition to that I just can't work out where you are coming from - I really can't understand it at all. What is your point? What is this about?

TV has a function....whistling.gif

Couple of things:

1) I don't care about "slagging off a school online". I know it is against the rules to do it directly, but as long as "the names have been changed (or omitted) to protect the innocent" and you don't refer to anything (schools, individuals, whatever) directly, I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. @poochuay is right about "you never know who is watching"; a school representative or co-worker might be able to put two and two together (especially if he sees the copy of his lesson), but I don't imagine that you care very much. And I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that, as long as you accept that possibility.

2) On the other hand, while the notebook page you attached maybe isn't an awesome lesson, it isn't horrible enough that it will make those kids impossible to work with or "scar them for life" or anything. I agree with the above that it looks like a conversation / introduction roleplay activity. Grammar-Nazi stuff like missing apostrophes and punctuation could be from the student failing to correctly copy what was written on the board 100%, or maybe the teacher left them out because they didn't deem them necessary for a simple conversation/roleplay guide. "Good morning" : "Good morning too" is a bit weird, but again that could be the student forgetting to write down "Good morning to you too" or the teacher just trying to simplify things as much as possible. Even if all of those omissions / errors are the fault of a foreign teacher colleague, it isn't that big of a deal. At least everything is in the right ballpark; I've seen many things that Thai teachers have given to kids that are grammatically screwed up to the point of being nonsensical. If you want to expand on it and correct those fine points in a later lesson, you could certainly do so.

This in particular seems a bit like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill -- no offense. I've been in a situation/job here where lots of small (and plenty of medium and a few big) things that bothered me started to add up and got me disgusted with the work environment in general, which made even minor annoyances seem like BIG problems. If you're in a situation like that and sort of cruising for justifications to bail ... that in and of itself is perhaps a big hint that it may be time to move on.

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh or trolling. The high frequency of unhelpful and/or holier-than-thou troll posts on this forum sometimes make me wonder why I even bother posting here (that's probably why I don't post all that much), so I definitely don't want to come across that way. So just take the above as my 2 cents. Hope things all get sorted out.

" I never made a statement that I think that I'm a wonderful teacher, but I know what I'm doing."

And yet you give the impression that you think you're God's gift to education.

The fact that you continually post your drivel on TV suggests that you're in way over your head.

/Moderator hat on

1/ In response to a previous reply, the original post isn't breaking any rules that I can see, as the school wasn't mentioned, it's not the "teacher's" original work & no names of organizations/individuals were mentioned or specific identifying details.

2/ Please don't comment on other poster's grammar/spelling/punctuation in a negative way, as it's off topic &/or trolling. This is an informal Internet forum where many users are posting from phones or while in a hurry etc.

/Moderator hat off

The original post is really nit picking at something which shouldn't be such a big deal. I can see what you don't like about it, but it's not really "terrible" or anything, just perhaps a little below par.

After 1 year with the same foreign teacher, this sort of stuff should have been well and truly covered already. But in saying that, the 1h class he's had with them was likely an introductory class and so might cover easier material that they've already done before. If the teacher hadn't ever taught them before, it might be completely appropriate for the level.

The punctuation/spelling errors aren't a biggie, as the meaning/speech mostly remains correct.

Although from the sounds it was likely incorrect on the whiteboard rather than a copying error. Foreign teachers shouldn't make these types of mistakes, but I think that the OP is well aware of the fact that nonNES aren't native speakers and thus their level of English, particularly regarding written English, can significantly vary between teachers. NonNES are often, depending on their nationality, paid less than NES and so they're allowed/expected to have a lower level of English than their better paid colleagues. If the foreign teacher you're referring to is a NES, then they probably need to lift their game a little.

That lesson is a good way to start any grade level at the beginning of the school year. However, correct English grammar should always be used to set an example.

Also, that lesson could utilize the whole hour depending on how it is done and the participation level of the students. I don't see why you are posting this unless you yourself are unsure the reasoning for such a simple lesson after the students have already had a full year of English.

My chemical company and school is in isssan,nongki,buriram province and I teach and have a master's degree from university of Texas,go horns computer science and a grade that is that young well should be fun and happy.

Like the Catholic schools that I went to. Strict,strong,but very good and fun

Sincerely

Zack attack

My point about impropriety ( you like that, an adjective into a noun!?) and ethics is simply this: you should obtain permission from a person before publishing their material. I am not concerned about forum rules or the laws of the Kingdom of Thailand. We have all seen a lot of nonsense in our travails as teachers in this aforementioned Kingdom. This forum provides a useful outlet for the understandable frustrations that can arise but I think there is a line that needs to be drawn and I think LostInIsaan's picture helps clarify for me what should be above and below that line.

(PS I had to edit this for the grammar police as I forgot to add a question mark to my question, in the brackets!)

It wasn't about punctuation at all. It was more about the responses to greetings.

How do you do? Response: How do you do? Good morning.- Good morning too. Good afternoon.- Good afternoon too.etc...

No surprises in any of this LostinIsaan, that's why I was unsure about what point you were trying to make. Much worse is passed off in schools in this kingdom as learning English. I love Fatfather's 'How are you tomorrow?' and I believe 100% it happened, that this it is not apocryphal. Have you ever looked at how children write Roman letters here? The whole shebang of education is truly mind boggling in Thailand and most other places too.

How are you tomorrow?

Came across this question from a small boy. Cool, isn't it?

Fatfather

I experienced this in Cambodia.

The difference is that they were saying it as a joke.

KInd of touches my heart wherever they might say it.

I'm good tomorrow, how about you? It is the spirit of the jesture. hola

Like Rodney Dangerfiled with a happier spin.

No surprises in any of this LostinIsaan, that's why I was unsure about what point you were trying to make. Much worse is passed off in schools in this kingdom as learning English. I love Fatfather's 'How are you tomorrow?' and I believe 100% it happened, that this it is not apocryphal. Have you ever looked at how children write Roman letters here? The whole shebang of education is truly mind boggling in Thailand and most other places too.

Met a foreign English teacher I hadn't seen for many moons and said: "Hey, how's it going?" Response: " I go eat stekk."

The past, the present and the future walked into a bar in Sisaket. It was tense. thumbsup.gif

My point about impropriety ( you like that, an adjective into a noun!?) and ethics is simply this: you should obtain permission from a person before publishing their material. I am not concerned about forum rules or the laws of the Kingdom of Thailand. We have all seen a lot of nonsense in our travails as teachers in this aforementioned Kingdom. This forum provides a useful outlet for the understandable frustrations that can arise but I think there is a line that needs to be drawn and I think LostInIsaan's picture helps clarify for me what should be above and below that line.

(PS I had to edit this for the grammar police as I forgot to add a question mark to my question, in the brackets!)

You should have, probably, removed the brackets from your post script, and added a few full stops .... nah nah.... nah nah smile.pngbiggrin.png

I all seriousness, I believe the biggest problem here is the use of unnatural English, and it is something I constantly battle against. It easier to teach, but it sure ain't how I speak. I'm fine, and you never sounds right to my ears

"How are you tomorrow?"

Because I am the futurewhistling.gif

I all seriousness, I believe the biggest problem here is the use of unnatural English, and it is something I constantly battle against. It easier to teach, but it sure ain't how I speak. I'm fine, and you never sounds right to my ears

"How are you tomorrow?"

Because I am the futurewhistling.gif

See you yesterday. thumbsup.gif

Archived