BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lostinisaan

Your Opinion Would Be Deeply Appreciated......

/Moderator hat on

1/ In response to a previous reply, the original post isn't breaking any rules that I can see, as the school wasn't mentioned, it's not the "teacher's" original work & no names of organizations/individuals were mentioned or specific identifying details.

2/ Please don't comment on other poster's grammar/spelling/punctuation in a negative way, as it's off topic &/or trolling. This is an informal Internet forum where many users are posting from phones or while in a hurry etc.

/Moderator hat off

The original post is really nit picking at something which shouldn't be such a big deal. I can see what you don't like about it, but it's not really "terrible" or anything, just perhaps a little below par.

After 1 year with the same foreign teacher, this sort of stuff should have been well and truly covered already. But in saying that, the 1h class he's had with them was likely an introductory class and so might cover easier material that they've already done before. If the teacher hadn't ever taught them before, it might be completely appropriate for the level.

The punctuation/spelling errors aren't a biggie, as the meaning/speech mostly remains correct.

Although from the sounds it was likely incorrect on the whiteboard rather than a copying error. Foreign teachers shouldn't make these types of mistakes, but I think that the OP is well aware of the fact that nonNES aren't native speakers and thus their level of English, particularly regarding written English, can significantly vary between teachers. NonNES are often, depending on their nationality, paid less than NES and so they're allowed/expected to have a lower level of English than their better paid colleagues. If the foreign teacher you're referring to is a NES, then they probably need to lift their game a little.

That lesson is a good way to start any grade level at the beginning of the school year. However, correct English grammar should always be used to set an example.

Also, that lesson could utilize the whole hour depending on how it is done and the participation level of the students. I don't see why you are posting this unless you yourself are unsure the reasoning for such a simple lesson after the students have already had a full year of English.

My chemical company and school is in isssan,nongki,buriram province and I teach and have a master's degree from university of Texas,go horns computer science and a grade that is that young well should be fun and happy.

Like the Catholic schools that I went to. Strict,strong,but very good and fun

Sincerely

Zack attack

My point about impropriety ( you like that, an adjective into a noun!?) and ethics is simply this: you should obtain permission from a person before publishing their material. I am not concerned about forum rules or the laws of the Kingdom of Thailand. We have all seen a lot of nonsense in our travails as teachers in this aforementioned Kingdom. This forum provides a useful outlet for the understandable frustrations that can arise but I think there is a line that needs to be drawn and I think LostInIsaan's picture helps clarify for me what should be above and below that line.

(PS I had to edit this for the grammar police as I forgot to add a question mark to my question, in the brackets!)

How are you tomorrow?

Came across this question from a small boy. Cool, isn't it?

Fatfather

Some off topic post have been removed.

It wasn't about punctuation at all. It was more about the responses to greetings.

How do you do? Response: How do you do? Good morning.- Good morning too. Good afternoon.- Good afternoon too.etc...

No surprises in any of this LostinIsaan, that's why I was unsure about what point you were trying to make. Much worse is passed off in schools in this kingdom as learning English. I love Fatfather's 'How are you tomorrow?' and I believe 100% it happened, that this it is not apocryphal. Have you ever looked at how children write Roman letters here? The whole shebang of education is truly mind boggling in Thailand and most other places too.

How are you tomorrow?

Fatfather

I experienced this in Cambodia.

The difference is that they were saying it as a joke.

How are you tomorrow?

Fatfather

I experienced this in Cambodia.

The difference is that they were saying it as a joke.

KInd of touches my heart wherever they might say it.

I'm good tomorrow, how about you? It is the spirit of the jesture. hola

Like Rodney Dangerfiled with a happier spin.

No surprises in any of this LostinIsaan, that's why I was unsure about what point you were trying to make. Much worse is passed off in schools in this kingdom as learning English. I love Fatfather's 'How are you tomorrow?' and I believe 100% it happened, that this it is not apocryphal. Have you ever looked at how children write Roman letters here? The whole shebang of education is truly mind boggling in Thailand and most other places too.

Met a foreign English teacher I hadn't seen for many moons and said: "Hey, how's it going?" Response: " I go eat stekk."

The past, the present and the future walked into a bar in Sisaket. It was tense. thumbsup.gif

My point about impropriety ( you like that, an adjective into a noun!?) and ethics is simply this: you should obtain permission from a person before publishing their material. I am not concerned about forum rules or the laws of the Kingdom of Thailand. We have all seen a lot of nonsense in our travails as teachers in this aforementioned Kingdom. This forum provides a useful outlet for the understandable frustrations that can arise but I think there is a line that needs to be drawn and I think LostInIsaan's picture helps clarify for me what should be above and below that line.

(PS I had to edit this for the grammar police as I forgot to add a question mark to my question, in the brackets!)

You should have, probably, removed the brackets from your post script, and added a few full stops .... nah nah.... nah nah smile.pngbiggrin.png

I all seriousness, I believe the biggest problem here is the use of unnatural English, and it is something I constantly battle against. It easier to teach, but it sure ain't how I speak. I'm fine, and you never sounds right to my ears

"How are you tomorrow?"

Because I am the futurewhistling.gif

I all seriousness, I believe the biggest problem here is the use of unnatural English, and it is something I constantly battle against. It easier to teach, but it sure ain't how I speak. I'm fine, and you never sounds right to my ears

"How are you tomorrow?"

Because I am the futurewhistling.gif

See you yesterday. thumbsup.gif