Your Opinion Would Be Deeply Appreciated......

I comes across that you may be taking this whole teaching thing a bit too serious. As I tell people back here in the US calling people in thailand "teachers" is like calling the kid who makes fries a "chef". Pretty much anyone can do it but really your just like the fry guy only making less money.

I comes across that you may be taking this whole teaching thing a bit too serious. As I tell people back here in the US calling people in thailand "teachers" is like calling the kid who makes fries a "chef". Pretty much anyone can do it but really your just like the fry guy only making less money.

I resemble that remark!

...In all seriousness, I agree. Although to be fair there is a legitimate and massive demand for good imported "fry chefs" around here, because when the locals try to make fries themselves they somehow end up burning down the Burger King and needing skin grafts. And to reuse an analogy that I've posted before, Khurusapha requirements for waivers / teachers licenses are rather like saying that nobody is qualified to be a fry chef unless they graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in Paris.

I'm not sure how many people could do my job.

"As you tell people back here in the US calling people in Thailand "teachers", bla, bla" is pretty much irrelevant, because that's only your own personal opinion.

With your statement, you're basically badmouthing all and everybody who're currently working in LOS as teachers, not just me.

Who really cares what a guy in the US is thinking? Most of your fellow countrymen have never left their country, so you can tell them anything you want.

You might mix things up with the backpacking folks, making some travel money?

Please try to teach two classes, one grade one and a grade two, also science and math in English, and add some grade six classes to it.

BTW, I'm completely on my own, create my own worksheets, PowerPoint Slideshows and have to find the right way(s) to make teaching suitable for them.

If you still believe that "pretty much anybody can do that", then I'm afraid to let you know that you've got no idea what you're talking about.

It's always nice to read posts from people who think that they know all about French Fries, but have no idea that others call them Chips. -coffee1.gif

It wasn't about punctuation at all. It was more about the responses to greetings.

How do you do? Response: How do you do? Good morning.- Good morning too. Good afternoon.- Good afternoon too.etc...

I was taught, as a youngster, that "How do you do?" was both a greeting and an acceptable response to that greeting, albeit rather archaic or old-fashioned if you prefer.

Just to confirm my poor ol' memory wasn't playing tricks, I looked at some English language websites and I can confirm my memory is fine in this instance.

From a non-teacher.

"As you tell people back here in the US calling people in Thailand "teachers", bla, bla" is pretty much irrelevant, because that's only your own personal opinion.

With your statement, you're basically badmouthing all and everybody who're currently working in LOS as teachers, not just me.

Who really cares what a guy in the US is thinking? Most of your fellow countrymen have never left their country, so you can tell them anything you want.

Please try to teach two classes, one grade one and a grade two, also science and math in English, and add some grade six classes to it.

BTW, I'm completely on my own, create my own worksheets, PowerPoint Slideshows and have to find the right way(s) to make teaching suitable for them.

If you still believe that "pretty much anybody can do that", then I'm afraid to let you know that you've got no idea what you're talking about.

It's always nice to read posts from people who think that they know all about French Fries, but have no idea that others call them Chips. -coffee1.gif

Eh, fact of the matter is so often back in our home countries TEFLing is thought of as a distinct beast from the main of teaching. This has a lot to do with the cowboy style of management and yes, employees who come in. It's a credentialed field, and thus when you have 95% of your teaching staff lacking such credentials it makes many look down upon it.

Protip: I can cut open a guy but it doesn't make me a surgeon.

I've met a few of good teachers here, and I've met a lot of ones that are just edutaining. That's fine, as the market calls for it. But to lump them together with people who have studied education and worked in it for a career is laughable at times, don't we think? There are so many things within the school systems that are not only bad practices, but hell highly immoral coming from an educational standpoint. All of us who have passed children along to the next grade without them taking remedial classes please raise your hands.

And yes, I'm aware that kids get through in the states. Difference is with things such as tiered RTI and such there are points of contact and help to be offered as quickly as possible, rather than just shuffling kids along to the next grade with a pat on the ass.

They're called French Fries at places where we would joke about someone being a fry cook, generally brings a McDonalds to mind. Next time that McDonalds corporate renames them to chips please let me know.

No offense LII, but you strike me as the local nutter. You get on there, day in and day out with the same things to say. Have you gotten your social security or shall we hear more about that? Everytime you strike me as someone who's almost sane I see a post like this from ya...least ya keep me on my toes I guess!

Eh, fact of the matter is so often back in our home countries TEFLing is thought of as a distinct beast from the main of teaching. This has a lot to do with the cowboy style of management and yes, employees who come in. It's a credentialed field, and thus when you have 95% of your teaching staff lacking such credentials it makes many look down upon it.

Protip: I can cut open a guy but it doesn't make me a surgeon.

I've met a few of good teachers here, and I've met a lot of ones that are just edutaining. That's fine, as the market calls for it. But to lump them together with people who have studied education and worked in it for a career is laughable at times, don't we think? There are so many things within the school systems that are not only bad practices, but hell highly immoral coming from an educational standpoint. All of us who have passed children along to the next grade without them taking remedial classes please raise your hands.

And yes, I'm aware that kids get through in the states. Difference is with things such as tiered RTI and such there are points of contact and help to be offered as quickly as possible, rather than just shuffling kids along to the next grade with a pat on the ass.

They're called French Fries at places where we would joke about someone being a fry cook, generally brings a McDonalds to mind. Next time that McDonalds corporate renames them to chips please let me know.

No offense LII, but you strike me as the local nutter. You get on there, day in and day out with the same things to say. Have you gotten your social security or shall we hear more about that? Everytime you strike me as someone who's almost sane I see a post like this from ya...least ya keep me on my toes I guess!

. I'm fine thank you, and you? wai2.gif Thanks, really time for me to retire, me thinks. facepalm.gif

I all seriousness, I believe the biggest problem here is the use of unnatural English, and it is something I constantly battle against. It easier to teach, but it sure ain't how I speak. I'm fine, and you never sounds right to my ears

"How are you tomorrow?"

Because I am the futurewhistling.gif

OP, for which grade was this attachment?

I try to tell them that real English is both flexible and different from the usual "How are you?" - "I'm fine, thank you, and you?" routine.

What's up? => small talk.

Many students fall back on stuff they learned by heart.

• 2 weeks later...

I all seriousness, I believe the biggest problem here is the use of unnatural English, and it is something I constantly battle against. It easier to teach, but it sure ain't how I speak. I'm fine, and you never sounds right to my ears

"How are you tomorrow?"

Because I am the futurewhistling.gif

OP, for which grade was this attachment?

I try to tell them that real English is both flexible and different from the usual "How are you?" - "I'm fine, thank you, and you?" routine.

What's up? => small talk.

Many students fall back on stuff they learned by heart.

This "lesson" was for grade six. Unfortunately was it just a "copying some wrong English from the board" lesson.

The same words were used in an English camp conducted by a Thai English teacher at the end of last year.

There was no speaking involved, no role plays, etc..Good bye too.-facepalm.gif

It wasn't about punctuation at all. It was more about the responses to greetings.

How do you do? Response: How do you do? Good morning.- Good morning too. Good afternoon.- Good afternoon too.etc...

The big problem would be if the other teacher (clearly an amateur) was teaching them in parallel with you. Since it is your responsibility to correct any bad habits the students may have picked up, a lesser problem would be if you are doing that while he is still working at the same school and one of the students decided to tell him that what he taught was being corrected. An unlikely situation but if it did happen and he was annoyed, then on a professional level you are perfectly entitled to argue what is/is not correct grammar.

I will close this topic. It is a troll topic and it is clear it is headed in a familiar direction will result in someone getting a very long posting holiday.

We will not get into a discussion of anything based on race or nationality.

//CLOSED//

Archived