Extremely Dry Throat From Air Conditioning

Daniel1111

I've been living in Thailand now since last August, and have been sleeping with aircon all that time.

In the last couple months however Ive noticed that my throat is very sensitive and dry, which I think is from the aircon. Maybe it needs new filters? better ventilation?

Just wandering if anyone has had this problem and how you've solved it.

I used to get dry throat, chapped lips and dry skin on my hands & feet during the winters here because it's so arid. I have a small humidifier that I run while sleeping, and it helps a lot.

Perhaps the most serious consequence of letting your mucous membranes dry out like that is you're much more susceptible to upper respiratory ailments like colds & flu.

Get a humidifier.

my USA friends and I all compare notes and to the man after we arrive in Thailand we quickly get a sore throat and sometimes a bit worse. Clears up in a few days. I think my friend goes with some zinc tablets/medication? I have experienced it more and when I checked it usually strongly correlated with the hotels that obviously have never cleaned the air filters, or fan ducts. Those really do need to be removed, the housings and mountings cleaned and sanitized. Of course if in Pattaya, the air quality really has gotten pretty bad over the last few years. The amount of air-born dust and soot is much worse than it used to be. That doesn't help either. Also, I think I and most people snore a bit more than they used to. You put on some weight, breathing is not noticeably different when you are awake, but it is enough so that you don't breathe through your nose while sleeping. Open mouth, snore, more irritation

Sometimes this is the result of post0-nasal drip which in turn can be allergy related.

For sure, start by cleaning the a/c filters (easily done yourself) and having it serviced for a proper clean (ask landlord or call a/c company to do).

I get all kind of problems from dirty aircons and dirty fans. I am mild allergic against some things....no problem I don't even feel it, but if a fan with dirt on the propeller blows that direct into my face I get problems.

I don't have a humidifier, should I get one? Is this pretty standard?

usually in Thailand the problem is too much humidity not too little. So not much demand for humidifers though in some heavily air conditioned places the air can get too dry.

If I read the OP correctly he was fine with same a/c in same apt until recently and a/c has not been cleaned since he moved in almost a year ago. So that would be the first thing I'd try.

If more humidity is needed/wanted, reducing the a/c (i.e. higher therm setting) and adding a table fan to offset it usually works. Less a/c will automatically lead to moister air and the addition of a table fan enables one to sleep comfortably at a higher room temp.

Archived