'Slow City' Chiang Mai cuts speed limit to 40km/h

Lite Beer

Forget the helmet. Isn't he going the wrong way?

You obviously missed the ‘subtlety’ of my ‘helmet’ comment! He is in the cycle lane with a MC and (by the way) going the wrong way! But at least he was wearing a helmet!

I will spell it out next time!

The last sentence spelled doom to the preceding.

Someone must have been holidaying in West OZ unless otherwise indicated it is now 50 Km/h in the suburbs and 40 Km/h around school area's start and finish times, all we need is someone in front with red flag and we've turned a circle. coffee1.gif

Cars park on most of the cycleways in the city so it's dangerous..

There's a cycle lane down Loi Kroh road all the way across the iron bridge if you look hard enough.

The lane markings wore off years ago,

But for all the other ills of traffic Chiang Mai, introducing a 40kph max is a small step in the right direction. Yep, I know it has to be enforced but we all want them to start somewhere, right?

And as for cycling lanes, problems not only in Thailand.

That internationally recognised bike- friendly country,Netherlands, has cyclists sharing the lanes with much faster motorbikes. Scares the sh*t out of me when I am pedalling along at 20kph, to be passed in a narrow space by a motorbike doing 50+kph, whatever the unenforced speed limit is.

But for all the other ills of traffic Chiang Mai, introducing a 40kph max is a small step in the right direction. Yep, I know it has to be enforced but we all want them to start somewhere, right?

There is no point in making *any* changes to traffic regulations if you are not going to enforce them.

The proper response to that stupid <removed> that killed those cyclists would have been to fine her, jail her and ban her from driving.

Then to start randomly breathalysing anyone in charge of a vehicle who looks like they might be drunk. And fine them and ban them as they do in most countries, with escalating punishment for repeat offenders..

None of this is rocket science, and stupid cosmetic measures like this one will make not a jot of difference.

• 1 month later...

Cars park on most of the cycleways in the city so it's dangerous..

There's a cycle lane down Loi Kroh road all the way across the iron bridge if you look hard enough.

The lane markings wore off years ago,

That's the lane for motorcycles going the wrong way.

Archived