Farang killed in pickup crash in Udon Thani

Thaivisa News

Udon Thani:- A farang driver was killed Saturday evening when his pickup truck crashed into the rear of a trailer truck in Udon Thani’s Nong Harn district.

Pol Lt Krissada Chanon, an office on duty of the Nong Harn police station was informed at 7:30 pm that a fatal accident occurred at the kilometer marker No 20 in Ban Phone-ngarm village in Tambon Phone-ngarm.

Krissada rushed to the scene with rescuers from the Methatham Udon Thani and rescuers of Nong Harn highway unit.

They found a black Toyota Vigo with an Udon Thani license plate that has crashed into the rear of a trailer truck. Its front was dissolved because of the impact.

The officials found a body of the pickup driver, who was a foreigner, trapped behind the wheel. They had to use tools to remove the body.

Krissada said the farang was identified only as Edward. His surname and nationality was not known.

The trailer truck drive, Somjit Phuehikewa, 46, was waiting for police at the scene.

Somjit told police that he was heading to Udon Thani and he stopped his truck on the roadside at the spot to rest.

Somjit said the pickup that was speeding behind him crashed into the rear at full speed.

Police said further investigation would be carried out to determine the cause of the accident.

The body of the farang was sent to the Nong Harn Hospital pending contracts by his relatives. So far, police did not know where he lived, Krissasda added. He urged anyone with information about the killed driver to inform police about his identity.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did Somjit know the pick up crashed into him at full speed,

when he was most likely fast asleep,parked on the road,I see

no mention of having his lights on either.another life wasted on

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

Depending on how the car is parked there is a big chance the farang is to blame. In my country people who hit others from behind are often guilty.

It is not as if the truck suddenly braked and the car then had to break (cars stop faster as big trucks). So the truck was parked. Unless the truck was parked on the road id put most of the blame on the farang not the Thai. However unpopular my opinion may be there are quite a few farangs here that drive like crap and drink and drive. Not all foreigners are angels.

If someone crashes on a truck parked on the side of the road (not the road itself) then I blame them not the truck. If the truck was parked on the road itself without lights I blame the trucker. So a bit more detail would be nice.

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

?? you must drive at a speed that you can stop within the area that is visible. A bit too fast would mean you knock a bit into it (if you can't steer away) but not in a total and fatal crash.

Very high probability the Edward Farang is to blame.

It does not matter at this point who is to blame, a life has been lost again. The hi so bimbo crashed into a mini bus on the expressway and was responsible for the death of 9 people. The judge decribed it as an accident. The Chilean cyclist was mown down and the pickup truck driver was fined 7500Baht.. This is Thailand not our own countries, all be careful.

The lighting is so bad on most of these trailer trucks up here---especially if they are overloaded, as most are, what little lighting they have is then obliterated by their cargo. Sometimes they hang a small pushbike light onto the cargo----but (if they are actually moving) you really are on top of them before you know it, & of course the roads in most areas here have no lighting.

I don't know if any of these factors were to blame for this fatality, but they certainly are to blame for some....................coffee1.gif

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

?? you must drive at a speed that you can stop within the area that is visible. A bit too fast would mean you knock a bit into it (if you can't steer away) but not in a total and fatal crash.

What a load of twaddle If the truck was parked without lights,how can you tell the distance? Same as driving at a brick wall !!

I take it you do not have a driving permit ?

Udon Thani:- A farang driver was killed Saturday evening when his pickup truck crashed into the rear of a trailer truck in Udon Thani’s Nong Harn district.

How can they write "A farang driver?" Do they not know that we're foreigners? Please stop blaming anybody, until you know more. It's very sad that he died in a car crash and those who've been here longer than two weeks know exactly how dangerous it is to drive at night.

A truck in the middle of the road without lights on and cars/ trucks coming for the other lane with high beam on?

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. A very sad way to go. RIP.

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

What a load of twaddle If the truck was parked without lights,how can you tell the distance? Same as driving at a brick wall !!

I wonder if you have one.. he is absolutely right you should be able to stop for anything that is in your visibility range. So yes even when the road ends all of a sudden you should not goo too fast.

Good example is when going over a minor hill, you can't see the other side so you slow down. I once had it when i went over a flyover on my bike that once i passed the crest there was a traffic jam. Had I not slowed down before because parts of the road were not visible i would have had an accident.

So if you can see 100 meters make sure you can stop in 100 meters. If you can only see 40 meters.. go a lot slower.

I have driven half a million k in this country over the last twenty plus years and I will say that if a Thai trucker is involved, CHANCES are that there is way more th this story than what is written. I have seen so many dangerous stunts pulled by Thai truckers that nothing suprises me anymore

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

I wonder if you have one.. he is absolutely right you should be able to stop for anything that is in your visibility range. So yes even when the road ends all of a sudden you should not goo too fast.

Good example is when going over a minor hill, you can't see the other side so you slow down. I once had it when i went over a flyover on my bike that once i passed the crest there was a traffic jam. Had I not slowed down before because parts of the road were not visible i would have had an accident.

So if you can see 100 meters make sure you can stop in 100 meters. If you can only see 40 meters.. go a lot s

OK how at what distance should you be from the car in front,at say 60kmpH? Tell me

So if you can see 100 meters make sure you can stop in 100 meters. If you can only see 40 meters.. go a lot s

OK how at what distance should you be from the car in front,at say 60kmpH? Tell me

http://www.driversedguru.com/driving-articles/drivers-ed-extras/the-3-second-following-distance-rule/

They tell it better as me, you might learn something from it.

But the story here is about an truck that was parked, then that rule does not apply of course. Because the speed of the car in front of you and his breaking distance is taken into account.

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

Rubbish...........coffee1.gif

Folk must drive at a suitable speed for the type of road they are driving on to be able to control the vehicle if a situation arrises..I was taught this when learning for my bike, car and heavy goods vehicle license's.

In the UK if you rear end a ride you get nicked......

Correct,, But how do you rear end ride,a vehicle that is parked at night without lights?

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

I have a driving licence and it is the first thing you learn, drive on sight.......If there is a brick wall on the street you should be able to stop before.....Else you are wrong with the law and dead......

Thai roads,
RIP Edward
regards Worgeordie

Rather than measuring the distance in meters it is best to measure it in time. So what ever speed you are doing you should be at least 2 seconds behind the vechile in front of you. In England many years ago the was a TV public information campaign with the slogan "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

I have a driving licence and it is the first thing you learn, drive on sight.......If there is a brick wall on the street you should be able to stop before.....Else you are wrong with the law and dead......

Not true,infact a thick answer. Just sit down and think about it Its night time OK If in Europe a truck ,car parkes without lights at night without lights on a main road he is a danger and breaking the Law Period

Good conditions daylight one car leangth for every 10 kmh

night time at least double.

Not true,infact a thick answer. Just sit down and think about it Its night time OK If in Europe a truck ,car parkes without lights at night without lights on a main road he is a danger and breaking the Law Period

There is only one wrong and demonstrating his lack in driving skills that is you. Please re educate yourself you don't know the basic 2 or 3 second rule. You don't know that you have to be able to stop within the distance you can see.

Of course a truck parking in the main road is a danger and breaking the law but that does not change the fact that you should be able to stop on time for something like that.

In case of an accident of course they will blame the truck then too.. because he was wrong TOO.

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

Depending on how the car is parked there is a big chance the farang is to blame. In my country people who hit others from behind are often guilty.

It is not as if the truck suddenly braked and the car then had to break (cars stop faster as big trucks). So the truck was parked. Unless the truck was parked on the road id put most of the blame on the farang not the Thai. However unpopular my opinion may be there are quite a few farangs here that drive like crap and drink and drive. Not all foreigners are angels.

If someone crashes on a truck parked on the side of the road (not the road itself) then I blame them not the truck. If the truck was parked on the road itself without lights I blame the trucker. So a bit more detail would be nice.

The law is quite clear where i come from. The parked vehicle is innocent. The onus is on the driver of the vehicle travelling behind. If the truck was even parked in the middle of the road or had stopped for any reason, mechanical failure, or any other reason it is up to vehicles coming down the road to be travelling at a safer enough speed to be able to stop.

He may have been speeding excessively and even experienced a micro sleep moment. That can happen to anyone.

Since living here, I have been travelling more and more slowly to expect the unexpected, which happens more often than not in this country.

I am convinced just as I think there should be travel warnings on aircraft going into Australia about how dangerous the beaches are there, they should have them here regarding the roads.

Good conditions daylight one car leangth for every 10 kmh

night time at least double.

ok Now do the same exercise involving a truck parked at night on a main road without lights

Somjit told police that he was heading to Udon Thani and he stopped his truck on the roadside at the spot to rest.

According to my own experience, I read this as he was in the process of stopping on the roadside when hit from the back. That is traveling in the right lane, then quickly deciding to stop on the far left shoulder and going for it, without checking who is in the left lane. (only speculation here, I don't know more than the OP) This happened to me before, I was passing over a slow moving truck from the left when it suddenly decided to stop - it was a close call he didn't go through me.

As mentioned above, often these trucks have very poor lighting. I have an idea. Every PTT station should offer to clean the lights of all the trucks every time they fill up, as part of their service. It would help everyone on the roads and maybe save some lives (or near misses).

Very sad.

Without other witnesses I would not condem just one party.

Very likely: the truck was parked (half) on the driveway, no lights on, no reflectors etc.

For me this is nothing unusual. Very common.

Likely: the pickup driver was driving in the dark like he would in broad light, quite speedy.

But that he smashed to hefty seemingly without breaking makes me think (asleep? intoxcated?).

I sometimes have such encounters, but even in the dark I will have enough time to break if such a big thing like a truck is there.

Does not apply to small vehicles like scooters or even bicycles!!!

You don't see them before your headlamp beam reaches them.

Very scary!

I avoid driving in the night if possible and if so, I drive slow (60 to 70 km.h) and stare out of the window highly concentrated!

I don't know how many times at night I have overtaken an over-the-road truck (definition of a Thai truck, underpowered, overloaded, unlit) that "appeared" out of nowhere. What lights that were on it, were barely on giving the impression of a distance further than it actually was, or just flat out un-seeable until the last minute. Driving at night is scary, hell, driving is scary. I used to love to drive in the states, I hate it here. Motorbikes come out of nowhere, more often than not unlit, unlit trucks of all nature, illegal turns, the white lines are used as a guidance for either one wheel or maybe even the middle of the vehicle, 90 kph speed limit and vehicles doing 30 kph in the fast lane, etc. etc. Condolences to the family and RIP Mr. Edward.

According to my own experience, I read this as he was in the process of stopping on the roadside when hit from the back. That is traveling in the right lane, then quickly deciding to stop on the far left shoulder and going for it, without checking who is in the left lane. (only speculation here, I don't know more than the OP) This happened to me before, I was passing over a slow moving truck from the left when it suddenly decided to stop - it was a close call he didn't go through me.

who cares? Whether the truck was stopped or still moving, if you hit them from the back, you are at fault.

I don't know how many times at night I have overtaken an over-the-road truck (definition of a Thai truck, underpowered, overloaded, unlit) that "appeared" out of nowhere. What lights that were on it, were barely on giving the impression of a distance further than it actually was, or just flat out un-seeable until the last minute. Driving at night is scary, hell, driving is scary. I used to love to drive in the states, I hate it here. Motorbikes come out of nowhere, more often than not unlit, unlit trucks of all nature, illegal turns, the white lines are used as a guidance for either one wheel or maybe even the middle of the vehicle, 90 kph speed limit and vehicles doing 30 kph in the fast lane, etc. etc. Condolences to the family and RIP Mr. Edward.

And that is part of the problem...just because the limit is 90 does not mean you are not permitted to do less.

Thai roads,

RIP Edward

regards Worgeordie

Does it really matter what the truck driver knows or not? If you impact the rear of a truck and demolish the front of the Toyota you were driving pretty fast. Regardless a rear end collision is the fault of the Toyota driver who I suspect was drunk or fell asleep.

Blimey what a debate!!!

Fact ... lorry was parked (with or without lights on).

Fact ... Pick-up truck slammed into the back of the lorry demolishing its front end and killing the driver (indicates speed).

My experience ... I have been here for 4-years (not a long time compared with others) and whilst Thai driving is far from, let's say, adequate I have found that because of the "lawlessness" of Thai roads/driving, farang fall into that trap of ... hey I can get away with anything here e.g. drunk driving, speeding, undertaking etc and often, as in this case, pay the price.

My first year on the roads here was a nightmare and I found it difficult to sometimes contain my "rage" but now that I think I have experienced every kind of situation on Thai roads (well maybe not all) I am ready for whatever is thrown at me. My "rage" has subsided to the extent that I only go ape s#@t at the most dangerous of encounters, all others I just let sail by. I have reduced my average speed accordingly by some 20% to 30% which allows me to see potential problems much earlier and, if necessary take evasive action. I try to drive as I did back in the UK (adhering to the rules) in hope that it just might rub off on other drivers. Maybe that is a pipe dream but it's great watching the expression on drivers faces when I give way to them when I shouldn't, pull over to let them pass rather than hog the outside lane (I know why drivers do that because the inside lanes are invariably full of potholes), wave to them as the drive by etc

Archived