Two Native English Speaking English teachers needed urgently.

Having been let down again and again, the school at which my wife teaches, urgently seeks two NES teachers. The school is in Mahasarakham in deepest North East Thailand, where the cost of living is significantly lower than in most other parts of Thailand and the locals remain nice and friendly.

The salary will depend on qualifications and experience but is likely to be in the region of 30 - 35,000 baht a month, teaching around 20 periods a week.

Please message me if you are interested and I will forward details to my wife.

Cheers. smile.png

If the Thai education system would accept non-native speakers with a good command of English, the search would probably not be such an "urgent one".

That's Thailand: expectations are the highest, whereas the salary is miserable

If the Thai education system would accept non-native speakers with a good command of English, the search would probably not be such an "urgent one".

That's Thailand: expectations are the highest, whereas the salary is miserable

There is more to it than someone's national origin or passport. One school hired a Canadian. But he's a French speaker thumbsup.gif

With most salaries being in that range of 30,000 B, other aspects of the job become the deciding factor.

* how's the workload?

*is it a good work environment ("3 signatures" needed to get permission to make photocopies? Would one get permission to dash to the post office in exceptional circumstances? Does one have to attend meetings held in Thai for hours? How's the wifi? ...)

Schools should conduct leaving interviews. I often get the impression that many Thais fear the foreigners and see them as dangerous, volatile beings.

When someone leaves, the question arises: WHY? To make more money? Or is there something wrong with the school? If the foreigner could change three things,what would that be?

Standing out there in the heat every morning... Failure to maintain classroom equipment? Curtains for videos? Are the school's PCs running? (I've seen crazy issues like not enough RAM memory). Or is there a TV blaring Thai content in the office? ...

Many Thai schools see themselves as "perfect". giggle.gif

What drives foreigners out I guarantee is largely on the school. I mean all the teacher did was go to another school. Why look for work? Why burn a waiver? If the school will contend with the minimum effort teacher, why would they go elsewhere to make the same effort? The schoolsbare crap, the expectations and support support achieve are non existent. The head teachers fairly atrocious and Thai teachers unsupportive. Teachers leave bcz they have a raw deal.

*RIDICULOUS AND UNSUSTAINABLE WORKLOADS. Class hours not only above 20 but above 22 is a recipe for low quality learning. The only possible exception is if the plans already nalready place, then its just simply working a person like a common farm animal.

*Monsterously behaved children with all dorts of stupid rules about how the children cannot be disciplined. No win.

The question is, why should a good teacher stay really.

Admin is slow and unresponsive.

What drives most foreigners out are other foreigners, specifically the shitty management too lax or too micromanaged. Why not just be the Admin not the farang Principal? Head teachers have zero clue how to manage people and especially people making low wages. Other teachers shirking or just generally not decent people herebfor all the wrong reasons AND shirking.

The head teachers are often plebs. The "job" is the best thing that has ever happened in their "career" and they are going to whip the other teachers into shape and make their mark. Ugh...

Petty little men in short sleeves and polyester ties. No management skills, no organizational skills and despite them having been a part of the scrum, no empathy. Exactly what do you want from me for b150 an hour again? Their past lesson plans are a joke, but want you to spend your weekends creating magic. Oh yes, you won't teach that class next year...and new plans for you too! Too lol. With

With a few years teaching English convo they nitpick to death any and everything when they have a 30 second glance at your class and double so if they take a dislike to a person. OR... stay clear of the toilet if the HT comes in swollen and red eyed, sure to smell of vomit fir an hour. Ive seen it. Of all my HT only one in retrospect seems reasonable and jury still out, early days in this school.

Or...just the opposite. The creepy and campy OR pork bellied, splotchy faced drunkard. Either way...both risen to the level of their incompetence. They will terminate ten teachers, twenty before they move on. Guaranteed one third, will have been good teachers and another twenty percent adequate. So basically, the HT LOSES 50% of the schools good teachers and dismisses the other 50%. Well done lads.

I desperately want to be managed and work with Thais. I know Thailand well, I know Thais well enough. The foreigners....THEY ARE CRAZY.

The workload expectations are utterly ridiculous. Why is it each school you start there are no lesson plans at the ready? Ever. All the prep above lesson plans, often just for show. Entering and justifying marks. THE LACK OF ACCESS TO THE COPIER IS BEYIND STUPID, signalling ...dream up a successful game or activity that requires no materials for every class.

Pay for your copies and materials. Sorry, no. I just won't bother and no, that negative, shitty attitude is YOURS for being penjurious and petty and small.

A McDonald's fry cook makes 100% more, sorry and I'm dead serious. Even at +35k, you make <5usd an hour. McDonald's pays 9 in many cases.

Archived