Are we headed for the 500 baht avocado? Adios to green bliss ...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a6d7359348cf7befd79ac7539566037c.jpg

Today at the Royal Project Store.

They got plenty.

I will try tomorrow.

Taste and ripening good.

Unfortunately some bruises from improper handling/storage.

Btw, in Germany they always come like this to the supermarket, in cardboard box never bag.

fec8979d08285246ab12ff7cc33fdbf4.jpg

• 3 months later...

In Western Australia(home) they grow extremely well..., so of course they're planting larger acrerages every year. When I left a month ago they were north of $4.00 each !!....., allegedly price was driven up by cafe society discovering the breakfast of 'smashed avo's with tomato, feta, red onion and herbs on wholegrain or gluten free(of course what else ?) toast...., plus variations on that theme. Hipsters eating loads of this at cafe's were blamed(load of cobblers I say).
Has anyone spotted 'Smashed Avo's' appearing on breakfast menus here?

5 avocados for 119 baht at Central Chitlom today.

Yeah that's right, 119 was also the price in Pattaya Central but those are not HAAS type. They're the WATERY, low fat/low taste, Thai "Florida" type cados.

Out of stock today. Oh well!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, malibukid said:

they will let them rot before lowering the price at Rimping. go figure

Yes. Most everywhere. I've seen entire trays of cados that rotted days ago as if anyone will still buy them, even for a discount price, which they don't offer. Craziness.

There is a Pattaya market that sometimes gets it's act together to put RIPE cados grouped in a bag for a volume price. They would be rotten the next day but you can refrigerate ripe cados and keep them a bit longer. 

Well, we're into high priced cado season again at least in Pattaya. Thai cados are gone and the imports have spiked. But nowhere near 500. 

My price resistance point is 75 for a medium sized import. At 95 I stop buying. 

i am a California boy and the Thai avocados are getting better with each season.  not as watery as years gone by and healthy fat content has gone up.  sadly the season is over, narry a Avo in sight with the exception of imports at Rimping and Tops.  the Thai avocados where selling for 60 baht a Kg.  no they are 100 baht ea. at Tops today. whatever  got to have my fix.

Just now, malibukid said:

i am a California boy and the Thai avocados are getting better with each season.  not as watery as years gone by and healthy fat content has gone up.  sadly the season is over, narry a Avo in sight with the exception of imports at Rimping and Tops.  the Thai avocados where selling for 60 baht a Kg.  no they are 100 baht ea. at Tops.  but got to have my fix.

Yes there are very good Thai cados. Of course as in the Americas they grow the Haas (or Haas similar) styles and also the Florida (or Florida similar) styles. They're radically different and of course Haas is better. The imports are all Haas or Haas similar. 

Archived