Are we headed for the 500 baht avocado? Adios to green bliss ...

They are quite big size. Variety is Buccaneer. They have a very thick skin. The one I thought it's ripe (black skin) was rotten inside. Another one was okay but still unripe and the taste was not so good...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrap the unripe ones in newspaper or put them into a paper sack. They ripen in a day or three. Dont keep them in the fridge.

Plant a seed and if your real lucky in ten or plus years you might have a tree that bears fruit. or maybe just one that doesnt.....

• 2 months later...

when I lived in provincial Vietnam there were avocados available most of the time (also in Hanoi and HCMC but I only lived in those places for short periods)...they were misshapen and not picture perfect but they were the real thing...and they were cheap and no more expensive than other fruit...

I attribute this to the colonial influence just like the availability of nice local bread, pastries, edible beef and drinkable beer (the wine from Dalat is drinkable as well and cheap...)

someone mentioned that avocados from Burma are available in northern areas...why is it that there is no cheap imported VN produce available?

an'...ye wanna know what is one ob de nicest things about ex-imperialist Paris? goin' shoppin' in de produce section ob de local supermarket (but ye gots to have rented a holiday flat with a kitchen...not stay inna hotel)...I was there in July and the avocadoes were to die for...and de peaches were indescribably delicious (someone said that 'eating a peach' is a gallic metaphor for sex) all locally produced...

the gov't there subsidises agriculture in de interest of preserving culinary standards...remember that when you see images of angry french farmers protesting that their efforts cannot give them a living wage when the subsidies are cut...they defend the soul of 'la France'...

(as La Marseillaise crescendoes in de background...)

IN SEASON IN THAILAND NOW!

Recently there are lots of cheap Thai cados in the market. Some Haas. Some not Haas. I prefer the Haas of course. But poor handling and refrigeration of unripe cados is STILL an issue! Also mold. Keep in mind even if they're displayed at the market at room temp they may have been refrigerated before. You don't know. Thai grocers still don't seem to know "Jack Sheit" about cados! They're cheap now so not complaining, but still finding about HALF of them end up in the trash. Mold or going from hard to rotten, never ripe. Sometimes they go from hard to somewhat edible MUSH, I will eat those if it doesn't SMELL BAD, but that is not even near the way they should be. Sign of refrigeration before storage. Now you might see some unripe ones sold refrigerated and then I think HOW LONG they have been chilled will change the odds. I'll still buy those when there isn't another choice, but know I will end up tossing some, or all.

Please, if you know people who Thai food industry people will LISTEN to (not foreigners of course) get the message out that refrigerated cados when they are HARD is the exact WRONG way to handle them. Ideally you will eat them when perfect ripe and never chilled. I find you can "save" cados that have ripened in the frig for a number of days, but they need to be RIPE first, not overripe, and they won't be ideal, but it's worth doing if you can't eat right at the time of ripening.

• 1 month later...

It's been some good months now of good availability of low cost Thailand cados, some Haas-y, some not-sy.

But that seems to be trailing off now.

The last two packs I've bought, almost all were edible.

Sometimes I buy a pack and none of them are.

Always a crap shoot. You don't know how they were stored before you buy them.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the best way to eat avocados in Thailand is to fly to California, buy a few Hass avocados (superior in taste and flavor to the giant green ones), bring the seeds back, plant them in wet soil or suspend in water using toothpicks and a couple months later, got seedlings.

It doesn't take a genius to grow a tree in a warm climate with almost unlimited rainfall, yet...

Looks like the best way to eat avocados in Thailand is to fly to California, buy a few Hass avocados (superior in taste and flavor to the giant green ones), bring the seeds back, plant them in wet soil or suspend in water using toothpicks and a couple months later, got seedlings.

It doesn't take a genius to grow a tree in a warm climate with almost unlimited rainfall, yet...

You do know that most of Thailand is in a severe drought don't you? And many areas of Thailand are not lush green tropical forests but harsh dry scrub land plateau like Issa.

You do know that most of Thailand is in a severe drought don't you? And many areas of Thailand are not lush green tropical forests but harsh dry scrub land plateau like Issa.

California has experienced a more severe drought in 2015 than Thailand, 555

The solution to drought is something called "irrigation".

Either cached rainwater or underground, you know--something called a "well"?

Yes but this is Thailand, not California.

Have you seen a sophisticated irrigation network here? You just need to read the daily news to see the trouble with drought here. Dams are empty.

Moreover, most area of Isaan have salty groundwater so a well might not work to water your plants.

It has 5 large seeds they look a bit like Chestnuts

And it smells a bit like a Pumpkin

This could be them maybe

http://ongzi-secretgarden.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

IMG_0737.JPG

Diospyros digyna – Black Sapote

Family : Ebenaceae

Origin : Central America

Uses : eaten fresh ; unripe fruit as fish poison.

Here maybe a helpful thread for you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/861458-mamey-sapote

Yes but this is Thailand, not California.

Have you seen a sophisticated irrigation network here? You just need to read the daily news to see the trouble with drought here. Dams are empty.

Moreover, most area of Isaan have salty groundwater so a well might not work to water your plants.

Avocados are originally from Puebla, Mexico. An extremely dry, sunny place with a four month rainy season.

Every year I lived in California, there was a 4-6 month dry season (SoCal and NoCal).

Once established, seems like Issan or a dry, South facing hill anywhere in Thailand would be ideal.

I'm not a farmer, but I know where they grow in Cali is hot and dry (and is irrigated).

That is good news for me

We have some land in Isaan

I was hoping to grow them on the Rice paddy Humps

I have 20 odd seedlings ready to plant next rainy season

Then I was planning to irrigate from a pond during the dry season

But I have also found they are Toxic to cows if they eat to much of the Plant leaves or fruits and will kill them

So I'm not sure what the go is now

That is good news for me

We have some land in Isaan

I was hoping to grow them on the Rice paddy Humps

I have 20 odd seedlings ready to plant next rainy season

Then I was planning to irrigate from a pond during the dry season

But I have also found they are Toxic to cows if they eat to much of the Plant leaves or fruits and will kill them

So I'm not sure what the go is now

Advos are toxic to all animals, except humans.

That's a good thing. You can breed out the individuals too stupid to eat too much of them.

Most smart animals might eat them once and get sick. And never eat them again.

Archived