Import-Export Customs Broker

Hi,

Looking for an HONEST CUSTOMS BROKER who can clear and transport 20 ft and 40ft containers without any hidden charges in the Chonburi/Rayong/ Near Laemchabang area.

Separately, anyone know what a container handling fee is? And how is it different from Terminal Handling Fee?

Also anyone know what the Gate Charge is on importing containers , and what is the normal gate charge price for transporting a container from Laemchabang to Chonburi Area.

If it is FCL they will usually land at Laem Chabang. Cost for transport around the 5000THB mark. THC or Terminal Handling Charge is charged by the Terminal or port operator. Container Handling is asked by the CY and carrier. Depending on what you want you could go with the big names for local handling like Leschaco, Kuehne-Nagel, DBSCHENKER. They are all in the same region price wise. Customs clearance is around THB 2000 but depends what need to be done. Duty and VAT are a different topic. Other charges depending as well of the location the product/machinery is coming from.

Tobias is right, but the big names are good for big companies. We clear containers at a regular basis and can offer individual service to small and medium-sized companies, please send me PM if interested.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I normally bring in several FCL containers per year and plan on bringing in another 8 - 16 before this years end but I normally get a transport charge of 4200 per container. However this time, I had to use a different transport company than the one my broker normally uses and they hit me with an additional 4500 for "Gate Charges" which comprised of Container Handling, Container Cleaning and Admission Fee. Now my broker charges me on top of customs clearance; "Customs Formality Charge" + Another "Customs Formality Charge" (if more than one container) a "Customs Fee" a "D/O Charge" a "Storage Charge" and an "Overtime Charge".

Im pretty sure Im getting screwed but just wanted to ask you guys first before I decided to switch.

I am however definitely looking for a customs broker to clear Air Shipments as well.

this time, I had to use a different transport company than the one my broker normally use

Well. I think this is the problem. Either you choose the trucker, and then you will get a quotation before choosing for them. Or your broker chooses the trucker, in which case the broker must stick to his quotation, and you don't care which trucker he uses.

I will assume that you let the broker handle everything, because that takes a lot of headache away from you. However, you cannot give them a blank check. He must bill correctly, and to check this, you need to know that there are two kinds of charges:

1.) Outlays. This is what your broker pays on your behalf, mainly port chargers such as Terminal Handling Charges, Gate Fees, Storage Charges, Overtime at Customs etc. All these charges come with official receipts. Note: If it gets late, we usually ask the customer whether he wants to get the shipment out in the evening (in which case overtime charges will apply), or whether he would prefer to get the shipment the next day (in which case another day of storage charges apply). A good broker will advise you what charges to expect, so that you are not surprised. However, these charges, mainly port charges, are not negotiable.

2.) Service and handling charges. These will be their customs clearance charges, trucking charges, any overtime the broker charges if their staff have to work overtime. Before you let a broker handle your shipments, you need to ask him for a quotation, and the quotation will clearly state whether the customs clearance is a flat rate or whether there is a charge for the first container and an additional charge for the next container. It is also not unusual that that clearance charge applies for the first 4 or 6 HS codes, and an additional charge for additional HS codes (that's because the broker has to pay per kB to the IT company that provides the online service for Thai customs). This quotation will also clearly state how much the trucking charges are. When you get their invoice, it will be easy to check whether they follow their quotation or are trying to cheat you.

My suggestion is to get quotations from 2 or 3 companies, so you get a feel for it. You don't need to choose the cheapest - that can be more expensive in the end, for example if their customs clearance service is slow and you pay more storage and demurrage charges. Or they give you more headache, thus costing you nerves.

this time, I had to use a different transport company than the one my broker normally use

Well. I think this is the problem. Either you choose the trucker, and then you will get a quotation before choosing for them. Or your broker chooses the trucker, in which case the broker must stick to his quotation, and you don't care which trucker he uses.

I will assume that you let the broker handle everything, because that takes a lot of headache away from you. However, you cannot give them a blank check. He must bill correctly, and to check this, you need to know that there are two kinds of charges:

1.) Outlays. This is what your broker pays on your behalf, mainly port chargers such as Terminal Handling Charges, Gate Fees, Storage Charges, Overtime at Customs etc. All these charges come with official receipts. Note: If it gets late, we usually ask the customer whether he wants to get the shipment out in the evening (in which case overtime charges will apply), or whether he would prefer to get the shipment the next day (in which case another day of storage charges apply). A good broker will advise you what charges to expect, so that you are not surprised. However, these charges, mainly port charges, are not negotiable.

2.) Service and handling charges. These will be their customs clearance charges, trucking charges, any overtime the broker charges if their staff have to work overtime. Before you let a broker handle your shipments, you need to ask him for a quotation, and the quotation will clearly state whether the customs clearance is a flat rate or whether there is a charge for the first container and an additional charge for the next container. It is also not unusual that that clearance charge applies for the first 4 or 6 HS codes, and an additional charge for additional HS codes (that's because the broker has to pay per kB to the IT company that provides the online service for Thai customs). This quotation will also clearly state how much the trucking charges are. When you get their invoice, it will be easy to check whether they follow their quotation or are trying to cheat you.

My suggestion is to get quotations from 2 or 3 companies, so you get a feel for it. You don't need to choose the cheapest - that can be more expensive in the end, for example if their customs clearance service is slow and you pay more storage and demurrage charges. Or they give you more headache, thus costing you nerves.

Hi,

Wow, thanks for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it.

Okay let me explain the circumstances.

Firstly my broker charged me 5,000 baht per container for the transportation which is 800 baht more than what he normally charges me (4200 baht).

As I had 3 containers coming in at the time I wasn't too excited about having to pay the additional 2,400 baht and more importantly I did not want to set any precedents (making him think that it was okay to charge more than the regular price as I have more containers coming in.)

I found another company and they agreed to 4300 baht per container, however they failed to specify the Gate charges (which comprised of Container Handling @ 800 baht, Container Cleaning @ 400baht and Admission Fee @ 100 Baht + VAT per container), so I was under the impression that I would pay less....

Secondly I saw that on my brokers bill, it too also had gate charges (totaling to 300 baht) which lead me to think I was overpaying/getting scammed.

Now I already paid Terminal Handling Charges with my broker and I assumed that the terminal handling charges would account for:

A.) Taking the container off the ship

B.) Loading the container onto the Truck/Hauler (as they would have to use the special 30Ton/60Ton cranes at the port/terminal to do this).

So I'm very confused as to what is what on the bills.

Taking the container off the ship is included in the seafreight (under "Liner Terms"), so you won't pay this here in Thailand separately. Putting the container onto the truck is called Lift-On.

Terminal Handling Charges (THC) are the charges the terminal in the port bills for their services at the terminal. These are usually THB 2,900/20' but may vary. This is one of the outlays I mentioned above, and you will get a receipt for it, issue by the terminal company.

Actually the company who billed this to you, either the broker or the "cheaper" trucker you found, needs to explain their bill to you. I am doing their job for free right now.

And remember, "cheaper" does not necessarily mean that you pay less, but it often means that you have more headaches.

Edited by onthemoon

• 7 months later...

Bump:

Looking for a company to clear some cargo in Bangkok. It is psyllium husk. It can be declared for agricultural/farming use and customs will charge a lot less from my understanding. About to place an order for 200kg wanted to get a an honest company to handle the order upon arrival.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by madhav

• 2 years later...

Looking for broker in Laem Chabang; ( ok English) but small shipments from USA. Clearing; and then understanding the BL needs to be correct also from Shipper.  Some are not; making it difficult. The bangkok receiving end should know all this but does not say anything; making it much more difficult for the broker to clear.  The limited English is a problem.