Thaksin To Announce Soon Whether To Break

george

Billionaire Thai PM: I'm Beat

thaksinsign.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra's famous 3-finger SYT wave which means, "Screw You Too"

London - Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's embattled Prime Minister, may read about fellow billionaire Silvio Berlusconi's wild summer with some wistfulness.

The former Italian Prime Minister entertained guests at his chichi villa in Sardinia with extravagant festivities that included the eruption of a model volcano so realistic that neighbors called the fire department. He was also spotted at trendy nightclubs and restaurants . "It's the first time off I've had in a decade," he has been quoted as saying.

Thaksin, on the other hand, said in an interview broadcast Thursday that he was exhausted and considering stepping aside after general elections expected by the end of the year.

"Sometimes I wonder if it is better for me not to be prime minister," Thaksin said in an interview. "I am thinking that maybe it is better to step aside."

Thaksin, who is in London on a stopover between official trips to Finland and Cuba, was interviewed last week by Chakaphan Yomchinda of his ruling Thai Rak Thai Party for a television program being broadcast in three parts through Friday.

"At this moment, I am not yet decided on whether to carry on my duty or have someone else in Thai Rak Thai become prime minister after the election," Thaksin said in the interview. "I am not addicted [to power] :o . Actually, I am tired. Very tired," he added.

For God's Sake man... Go and get some rest. 25 years should be just about right.

There were murmurs of discontent when Thaksin sold his family-linked telecom-technology company Shin to the Singapore government-linked Temasek Holdings. The chief executive of Temasek, Ho Ching, is the wife of Prime Minister, Lee Hsien Loong of Singapore. Ho, who ranks 36th on Forbes' list of The 100 Most Powerful Women, controls a global investment portfolio worth $63 billion.

Demonstrations were held in Bangkok, and some protesters reportedly were seen burning photos of Lee Hsien Loong. Thaksin was also accused by some of using his dominant media holdings to dampen dissent in Thailand.

Thaksin temporarily stepped down from his position, after which he returned on a caretaker basis :D , pending a new election. The vote is scheduled for Oct. 15, but it is not clear if it can be organized by then.

- Forbes

Thailand's Thaksin Still Hasn't Decided to Step Down

Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, facing criticism over the sale of his family business, said he still hasn't decided whether to step down as premier after the next election.

Thaksin, 57, will spend time during an overseas trip to consider whether he "will return as prime minister,'' he told Channel 5, a military-run Thai television station in an interview broadcast today. Thaksin is traveling to meetings in Cuba and U.S. before returning to Thailand on Sept. 22.

"I have already been working (in this position) for six years,'' Thaksin said. "I am still considering whether it's time to give other people an opportunity to work or to be stubborn by staying in this position. Perhaps, if it's better not to be PM, I may decide to work at a foundation.''

"Those people who don't like me will certainly continue their street protests if I return as the prime minister,'' Thaksin said. "I am weighing between the country's unity and the poor people's demand for my return.''

Should Thaksin decide to leave the prime ministerial post, he pledged to use part of his wealth to help improve education for children from poor families. :o ... hmm... here's something new and out of character... unless I have missed all his many philanthropic efforts over the past 6 years.

- Bloomberg

PM to consider on whether he will take a political break

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he will make use of his opportunity on his trips to foreign countries to contemplate whether he would take a political break or not.

In his interview aired by Channel 5, PM Thaksin said that all sectors are awaiting the coming general election as it will decide who the next government should be.

PM Thaksin said that there are various groups which dislikes his government's policies and therefore would like the prime minister to take a long break.

In the meantime, he has encouraged people to go to the polls.

As for issues regarding narcotics, PM Thskin said that the past three months had shown great progress in eradicating drugs. He further siad he will implment more stringent measures on the issue of narcotics in the next three months.

In regards to the construction of the 3 new BTS routes, he said that the government has taken a loan from Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC). He said that the government is implementing to hold the auction for construction, while insisting that the fare of the new routes will be at only 15 baht.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 September 2006

OK, let's assume he takes a break and the TRT wins the next national election (as is expected). Any ideas on who Dr. Thaksin would support as the next PM?

Who cares, as long as it is not him! He is the rotten tooth that need to be removed!

It doesn't work like that. If he is in the position to support someone, then it would be someone he trusts implicitly and would follow his orders. Hence, anyone who does not care is being very naive.

OK, let's assume he takes a break and the TRT wins the next national election (as is expected). Any ideas on who Dr. Thaksin would support as the next PM?

Who cares, as long as it is not him! He is the rotten tooth that need to be removed!

It doesn't work like that. If he is in the position to support someone, then it would be someone he trusts implicitly and would follow his orders. Hence, anyone who does not care is being very naive.

Well without him as the head, the party is likely to disintergrate into factions in the long term. Note the words, "without him!"

Well without him as the head, the party is likely to disintergrate into factions in the long term. Note the words, "without him!"

In the long term, probably, but in the immediate future, no. As the saying goes, "better the devil you know."

In the long term, probably, but in the immediate future, no. As the saying goes, "better the devil you know."

I don't think any TRT Taksin stooge that replaces him will be worse, but rather the same. I don't get very excited about news of Taksin's supposed departure from politics as long as the xenophobic, 'family values' TRT is still in power. The only thing that could improve the situation in Thailand would be a military coup, and I fear that the country has been too democratized for that anymore. Ah, to be in Thailand 20 years ago - military dictatorship is far more friendly to the foriegner than democracy.

Ah, to be in Thailand 20 years ago - military dictatorship is far more friendly to the foriegner than democracy.

Perhaps friendly to the foreigner, but let's not forget that the Thai economy as a whole didn't progress very well under the majority of past dictators.

I really don't know if Thailand will be better off with or without the PM. On one hand, business has been good and poor people have gained, but on the other hand power corrupts and corruption has been a keynote factor in this administration. As it relates to xenophobia, it was only a few months ago that the PAD was marching on the Singaporean embassy and calling for a boycott on anything Singaporean. Khun Sonthi's ability to mobilize members of the PAD against Singapore was way too easy. Unfortunately, xenophobia exists on both sides.

If world history is any example, many tyrannical despots have had their sons take over for them:

180px-Pantong2-1.jpg

He certainly looks like he's ready to be the next PM... :o

If world history is any example, many tyrannical despots have had their sons take over for them:

180px-Pantong2-1.jpg

He does look the part doesn't he? I do remember when Governor George Wallace was followed by his wife. We all thought next in line would be his pet goldfish. Does the PM have any pets?

I still think we have not heard the last of former House Speaker, Dr. Bhokin. His name periodically pops up in TRT conversations and he has never been accused of disloyality to the PM, as many others have. Time will tell.

Ah, to be in Thailand 20 years ago - military dictatorship is far more friendly to the foriegner than democracy.

Perhaps friendly to the foreigner, but let's not forget that the Thai economy as a whole didn't progress very well under the majority of past dictators.

Not very accurate, I'm afraid - Thailand's highest growth rates were in the 1980's, under dictatorship. And anyway, it is not in the foreigner's interest for the local economy to be good (we all come here, aside for the obvious reason, because it is cheap).

I really don't know if Thailand will be better off with or without the PM. On one hand, business has been good and poor people have gained, but on the other hand power corrupts and corruption has been a keynote factor in this administration. As it relates to xenophobia, it was only a few months ago that the PAD was marching on the Singaporean embassy and calling for a boycott on anything Singaporean. Khun Sonthi's ability to mobilize members of the PAD against Singapore was way too easy. Unfortunately, xenophobia exists on both sides.

That's for sure. One thing people should always keep in mind in Asia - they strongly dislike us. It just depends on how much they feel they can show it. For example in South Korea the xenophobia is very outright and open, as they are rich enough to show how they really feel. Thais seem to think they can afford this.. time will tell.

Opebo, you are generalizing on why foreigners come here. Not all foreigners are retired. Many come here for business and a strong local economy is in their best interest (i.e. mine). Others come for family reasons (Thai wife coming home). On growth, the Thai economy didn't take off until the mid 1980's. Double digit GDP growth rates were experienced in the late 1980's, and growth was strong until 1996. We all know what happened next.

"I may take a break." : Thaksin

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Friday that he may take a break from politics. But he declined to reveal who would replace him.

Speaking on his flight from London to Cuba, Thaksin said he would make clear his decision before candidate registration date.

"I may take a political break," Thaksin said, adding he will give clear answer on the matter before the election's registration date," Thaksin said.

"Thai Society and Thai press are easily to get bored. I give you an example. When Gen Prem Tinsulanond was the prime minister, the media praised him as a capable and good figure. But after eight years, all the newspapers criticised his performance," he said.

He said he thought he was heavily criticised but when he looked at Gen Prem's case, he received harsher treatment from the society and the media.

Asked whether he has in mind who will replace him, Thaksin said he would not say for now. "No matter what rumours said about who would relace me, it is only me who know," he said.

Thaksin was en route to Cuba to attend Non-Aligned Movement meeting.

Source: The Nation - 15 September 2006

180px-Pantong2-1.jpgleader-Kim-Jong-il.jpg

There is a resemblance :D

BBC- Asia Pacific region - Sep 16 2006

Mass march against Taiwan leader

Shih Ming-teh leads a massive march in Taipei, Taiwan

The march was led by Mr Chen's former ally, Shih Ming-teh

Tens of thousands of people have staged a march to demand the resignation of Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian.

It was part of a movement which kicked off last week over corruption claims involving relatives and advisers.

Demonstrators have been holding a round-the-clock vigil outside the presidential office in the Taiwanese capital, Taipei.

Police say 320,000 people joined the march; organisers say as many as three quarters of a million took part.

It was led by Mr Chen's former ally, former ruling Democratic Progressive Party chairman Shih Ming-teh.

He has vowed to continue the protests until Mr Chen resigns.

Red for anger

Last weekend around 90,000 people were estimated to have taken part in the demonstration that launched the campaign.

Protesters give the 'thumbs down' to Taiwan's President Chen Shui-bian

Protesters have remained outside the presidential offices, chanting and wearing red to symbolise anger.

"President Chen had promised us clean politics when he was elected in 2000, but now see what he has given the people," said businessman Jesse Wang, speaking to AFP news agency.

"For Taiwan's democracy, this is a big moment for expressing ourselves," Lin Chung-hsien, 38, explained to Reuters news agency.

After the march, protesters were due to take up a new position at Taipei train station because on Saturday, thousands of pro-Chen demonstrators are set to gather outside the presidential office.

"A lot of people have come from far away," said campaign spokesman Chang <deleted>-chung. "And despite days of rain, the number of people gets bigger and bigger," he said.

The campaigners are reported to be considering whether to call a national strike to put further pressure on Mr Chen.

The president's popularity has plummeted amid scandals involving relatives and aides.

President Chen Shui-bian (file image)

Mr Chen's term of office is due to end in 2008

His son-in-law is facing charges - which he denies - of insider trading on the stock market, while his wife has also been accused of accepting department store vouchers.

Mr Chen has apologised for the scandals and has not personally been accused of anything.

His term of office is due to run until 2008 and he is refusing to resign, saying that the rallies are simply part of opposition attempts to bring him down.

In June Mr Chen survived an unprecedented parliamentary attempt by the opposition Kuomintang to remove him from office.

Some remarkable similarities between Taiwan and Thailand. :o

i dont think Mr.T is in the spotlight for all the member while the visa thing is gong on. i dont think they care-less if Mr.T poop chicken :D

Well I'd certainly like to see that - Do you have pictures ? :D

And is it some fearsome new side-effect, of avian bird flu ? :o

"Thaksin exhausted" (www.forbes.com - http://www.forbes.com/2006/09/14/thaksin-t...acescan02.html)

London -

Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's embattled Prime Minister, may read about fellow billionaire Silvio Berlusconi's wild summer with some wistfulness.

The former Italian Prime Minister entertained guests at his chichi villa in Sardinia with extravagant festivities that included the eruption of a model volcano so realistic that neighbors called the fire department. He was also spotted at tony restaurants and trendy nightclubs. "It's the first time off I've had in a decade," he has been quoted as saying.

Thaksin, on the other hand, said in an interview broadcast Thursday that he was exhausted and considering stepping aside after general elections expected by the end of the year.

"Sometimes I wonder if it is better for me not to be prime minister," Thaksin said in an interview. "I am thinking that maybe it is better to step aside."

Thaksin, who is in London on a stopover between official trips to Finland and Cuba, was interviewed last week by Chakaphan Yomchinda of his ruling Thai Rak Thai Party for a television program being broadcast in three parts through Friday.

"At this moment, I am not yet decided on whether to carry on my duty or have someone else in Thai Rak Thai become prime minister after the election," Thaksin said in the interview. "I am not addicted [to power]. Actually, I am tired. Very tired," he added.

There were murmurs of discontent when Thaksin sold his family-linked telecom-technology company Shin to the Singapore government-linked Temasek Holdings. The chief executive of Temasek, Ho Ching, is the wife of Prime Minister, Lee Hsien Loong of Singapore. Ho, who ranks 36th on Forbes' list of The 100 Most Powerful Women, controls a global investment portfolio worth $63 billion.

Demonstrations were held in Bangkok, and some protesters reportedly were seen burning photos of Lee Hsien Loong. Thaksin was also accused by some of using his dominant media holdings to dampen dissent in Thailand.

Thaksin temporarily stepped down from his position, after which he returned on a caretaker basis, pending a new election. The vote is scheduled for Oct. 15, but it is not clear if it can be organized by then.

Nevertheless, the macroeconomic picture in the Southeast Asia country actually seems quite healthy. Nearly $50 billion worth of megaprojects in infrastructure have been approved under Thaksin's watch.

In June Mr Chen survived an unprecedented parliamentary attempt by the opposition Kuomintang to remove him from office.

Some remarkable similarities between Taiwan and Thailand. :o

Not to mention the paper-thin assassination attempt Chen "suffered" the day before election day 2004.

'Twas but a scratch, but it was enough to get the opposition to cancel their final get-out-the-vote rallies.

Enough to mobilize the armed forces - preventing several hundred thousand likely opposition voters from participating in the polls.

Enough to go from 10 points down to a .02% victory - literally overnight.

Cheap theatrics.

Remarkable similarities indeed.

Cui bono?

jb