Do I need to apply for a tourist visa.

I arrive in Bangkok on June 7 on a return ticket with Thai Airways. On June 12 I fly out to Siem Reap. At some stage I will fly back to Bangkok where I will remain for less than 60 days. My return ticket to Australia is booked for August 29. I therefore have an onward ticket when I fly back into Thailand, though the flight date will be greater than 30 days away and less than 60 days away from my arrival by air from Cambodia. I would get a 30 day stay which I will then extend for 30 days. Will this be OK or will I need a 60 day tourist visa given that my onward ticket will be outside the 30 day stamp I would bet on arrival?

Normally it is OK to do this.

But it really depends on your travel history. If you have many recent visa exempt entries into Thailand it might be best to get a tourist visa (which is in fact cheaper than an extension).

With many entries immirgation sometimes asks to see a ticket out within 30 days and to see if you hold enough cash as they want to encourage people to pay for their visa if they come frequently.

You will not have a problem entering the country after your trip to Cambodia. Immigration will not ask to see a ticket out. The problem you may have is boarding your flight without a ticket out of the country within 30 days. You could look for a one way ticket to a nearby on a low cost airline to show.

You could also get a 2 entry tourist visa before leaving home.

You will not have a problem entering the country after your trip to Cambodia. Immigration will not ask to see a ticket out. The problem you may have is boarding your flight without a ticket out of the country within 30 days. You could look for a one way ticket to a nearby on a low cost airline to show.

You could also get a 2 entry tourist visa before leaving home.

The double entry visa is what I have been considering. I have no history of repeated tourist visa entries, but the fear of not been able to board the flight might be sufficient to prompt me to get the double entry before leaving. I had thought of getting a tourist visa in Phnom Penh, but not sure I want to stay that long in the city. The visa is more expensive than in Australia and the process seems messy. Siem Reap is my major destination though I am likely to visit the capital, if only to fly out of there. I am also considering Laos after Cambodia so could get a flight to Vientianne from Bangkok or Chiang Mai, but prices seem expensive.

It is you choice how you do it.

I just checked airasia.com for a one way flights to Kuala Lumpur for July and August and found them for 1290 baht. That would be cheaper than getting a tourist visa that you don't need.

I just checked airasia.com for a one way flights to Kuala Lumpur for July and August and found them for 1290 baht. That would be cheaper than getting a tourist visa that you don't need.

A double entry visa in Australia would cost $90 or about 2000+ baht. Your suggestion is a good one. Thanks for taking the time to check out the price. Much appreciated. I have been googling the topic on the net without success hence my inquiry here. This forum so often contains a wealth of information. I would however still need to get an extension which costs 1900 baht, so a double entry would still be cheaper than the unused AirAsia flight.

A double entry visa in Australia would cost $90 or about 2000+ baht. Your suggestion is a good one. Thanks for taking the time to check out the price. Much appreciated. I have been googling the topic on the net without success hence my inquiry here. This forum so often contains a wealth of information. I would however still need to get an extension which costs 1900 baht, so a double entry would still be cheaper than the unused AirAsia flight.

If I may correct myself, my above post did not take account of the fact that I will need an extension even if I get a double entry visa before I leave. I may be better to get a tourist visa in Phnom Penh or buy the Air Asia ticket plus extension. I will have to do some calculations! A falling and uncertain Oz dollar complicates matters further.