Any Birds For Sale In Cm?

Dustoff

Hi Dustoff

I do not mean to be impolite or disrespectful but in response to your enquiry, would it not be more appropriate for you to buy a cd of bird songs ( I can suggest where if you need it) and / or take up bird watching in the natural environment.

As it is, wildlife has a hard time of things and especially here in Thailand.

If however you were looking to purchase a bird to alarm you when gases build up in your home or place of work, I am sure you could find an alternative effective device to help you.

regards

Ally

I assume that you are living in Thailand permanantly ... if so try asking your neighbors <show a picture of the bird of you need to. <edited for a stupid mistake> ...

However, if you are a tourist you can forget being able to export a bidr from Thailand back to your home country.

Edited by jdinasia

Hi Dustoff

I do not mean to be impolite or disrespectful but in response to your enquiry, would it not be more appropriate for you to buy a cd of bird songs ( I can suggest where if you need it) and / or take up bird watching in the natural environment.

As it is, wildlife has a hard time of things and especially here in Thailand.

If however you were looking to purchase a bird to alarm you when gases build up in your home or place of work, I am sure you could find an alternative effective device to help you.

regards

Ally

It may comfort you to know that I do not keep/cage wild animals or birds.

The birds I am seeking have been 'cage birds' for so long that they do not survive in the wild if released. I don't think that wild canaries are native to Thailand and I wouldn't keep one in my home even if they do exist here.

Thanks for the thoughtful and humorous post, Ally. The only build-up of gasses in our home likely comes from me... :o And while the songs of canaries are wonderful, their personality is even more satisfying - and when I feed treats to my birdsong CD's, they stop singing...

~

I am very interested in buying a singing male canary. Have any of you seen a place in CM that sells birds? I tried searching the internet but could find no reference to canaries in Thailand.

There are several shops in Kamtieng market that sell them. As you enter the market area from the Superhighway, drive down to the lights and turn left, past the entrance to Lotus and you start to come to the main stalls past the cool stores on your right. Then instead of turning left, to all the stalls, drive straight on. On the first corner on the left is a shop that sells just about every tropical bird imaginable. They have Canaries :o

Yup, Kamtiang market comes to mind. Specifically I think there's some shops on the left just before the road North meets the Superhighway. So that's not really the main plants area behind Tesco Lotus.

> On the first corner on the left is a shop that sells just about every tropical bird imaginable.

I've been looking for a Norwegian Blue for a while.. Think they'll have one?

Edited by chanchao

There are several shops in Kamtieng market that sell them. As you enter the market area from the Superhighway, drive down to the lights and turn left, past the entrance to Lotus and you start to come to the main stalls past the cool stores on your right. Then instead of turning left, to all the stalls, drive straight on. On the first corner on the left is a shop that sells just about every tropical bird imaginable. They have Canaries :D

I have to say that your directions were exactly right but that it was a most depressing experience.

They do have a few of the popular kinds of big birds, loads of Lovebirds and a few fancy chickens but no canaries. The guy says he does not carry them, can order but is very reluctant to do so.

Even my Thai wife was almost in tears over the conditions that the birds are kept in. They are literally ankle deep (for a bird anyway) in their own wet rotting waste that obviously has been there for months, most of the birds are cramming themselves in the far upper corners of their cages to find air to breathe, and the stench is in the wind several shops away. If I were back in my country of origin I would have animal protection agencies raiding this shop in a heartbeat!

Under pressure the owner told us of another shop near Thaphae Gate and an Italian Restaurant (Stephan's or something similar; is this near Gecko Books?). Will check this out and report back...

The good (or bad) news is that my wife found a zillion or so plants/flowers at this market and we now have an equal number of new friends in the form of ants in our nice clean car... :o

Meanwhile, I am back to doing my shopping for birds on Loi Kroh. :D

Hi there again guys.

Well its people that buy these poor creatures that keep the sellers in business.

The conditions your report sound about typical and because of the lack of regulation, co-ordinated control and basic respect for the feelings of creatures ( possibly nailed to the pirch !) these places continue to exist.

Albertross.... Albertross anyone.... Albertross

Ally

Under pressure the owner told us of another shop near Thaphae Gate and an Italian Restaurant (Stephan's or something similar; is this near Gecko Books?). Will check this out and report back...

There is a nice Italian restarant called Da Stephanos two doors down from Gecko Books, but no birds for sale in the neighborhood that I have ever heard of.