Where Else Is Good To Go?

After all the recent commotion in the Thai TEFL industry and whatever future hoops will be dreamt up to jump through, I was wondering what countries are good places to go and teach.

I'm thinking about a place that is not too expensive to live, you can get a good paying teaching position, there are actually chances of career advancement, perhaps you can achieve residency/citizenship - or at the very least you don't have to get by on a year long visa.

I'm considering going back to the UK and getting teaching qualifications. I am considering a B of Ed in primary school teaching - where would be good countries to head to with a qualification like that?

If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them. :o

After all the recent commotion in the Thai TEFL industry and whatever future hoops will be dreamt up to jump through, I was wondering what countries are good places to go and teach.

I'm thinking about a place that is not too expensive to live, you can get a good paying teaching position, there are actually chances of career advancement, perhaps you can achieve residency/citizenship - or at the very least you don't have to get by on a year long visa.

I'm considering going back to the UK and getting teaching qualifications. I am considering a B of Ed in primary school teaching - where would be good countries to head to with a qualification like that?

Your wish list doesn't sound too rigorous on the face of it, Dan Sai, but it may be difficult to achieve all of these in practice. Have a look at the TES (Times Educational Supplement) forum on 'teaching overseas' at www.tes.co.uk for some suggestions, although there often appears to be little agreement amongst the forum posters.

By the way, do you need to do a BEd in the UK? If you have a degree already, you can become a qualified teacher quicker by other ways, eg a PGCE.

Your wish list doesn't sound too rigorous on the face of it, Dan Sai, but it may be difficult to achieve all of these in practice. Have a look at the TES (Times Educational Supplement) forum on 'teaching overseas' at www.tes.co.uk for some suggestions, although there often appears to be little agreement amongst the forum posters.

By the way, do you need to do a BEd in the UK? If you have a degree already, you can become a qualified teacher quicker by other ways, eg a PGCE.

I did not know that! Thanks very much!

About the PGCE, a friend of mine has just finished his and got a pretty good deal out of it. They govt paid him 7,000 Pounds while he was studying. Then he gets (I think) a 5k golden handshake welcome to the profession, so his starting salary is around 25 k in the first year. All you have to do is work in the UK for a few years teaching horrible teenagers and wham, bam thank you Tony, out to Dubai (or elsewhere) to work in an international school.