Muslim community in Krabi protests against Bt20-million pig farm

webfact

Muslim community in Krabi protests against Bt20-million pig farm
The Nation

KRABI: -- About 100 Muslim residents of a village in Krabi's Ao Luek district demonstrated at 11 am Thursday at a location where a Bt20-million pig farm is being constructed near their village.

Their leader said nearly all of the residents of the village are Muslims so the fear that the 100-rai pig farm would affect them. They also voice concern that wasted water from the farm would pollute their water resources.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Muslim-community-in-Krabi-protests-against-Bt20-mi-30261112.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are certainly entitled to protest, and have a right to have a say in the businesses that pop up around them. Hopefully the end result will be agreeable to everyone in the area.

How many people are now reading these comments just to see what the Islam-bashers have to say?

as long as it is not 20 million pigs ...

but why don't the muslim update their knowledge?

pig was forbidden 800 years ago, because there was no fridge & the pig meat got bad quickly because they also did not have the salting technology ...

2015 ...

I understand their concern from an environmental concern as those animals generate a lot of waste that needs to be handled in a responsible way (and this being Thailand.....). Not to mention the smell coming from the farm could be quite "heavy".

From a religious point of view I have no understanding - in Europe many butchers of Muslim faith works without concerns in slaughterhouses that handles mostly pigs.

pig was forbidden 800 years ago, because there was no fridge & the pig meat got bad quickly because they also did not have the salting technology ...

2015 ...

Update? that's funny :)

It's kinda funny actually. But I suspect that the farm is not allowed to be near any residents. a friend of mine has a fertilizer factory which his family have had for 40 years and people who have moved into their area are now complaining of the smell and create problem for them this despite the factory had been there that long and the area stsrted getting populated about 5 years ago.

2015 ...

Does this answer your question?

2015-01-17_140137_zpshx9x5rbu.png

After all communities are heard everything has to be halal, kosher or vegan. So who is complaining about plastic rice now?

I think the "Muslim" element of this story is the hook with the bait for the headline writer.

Krabi has a 42% Muslim population, in rural areas this can be 100%.If a pig farm is to be built it would be built in a rural area and have an effect on the people living there.

Where is the information on how the developer plans to, control the effluent, build the farm, create employment?

Perhaps the developer has considered none of these which would hugely concern any neighbouring people Muslim or otherwise.

Without more information this story is just a headline grabber and as such is wide open for supposition.

I agree that there could be a lot of pollution from the Pig Farm and probably waste treatment would be substandard. So from this point of view a large farm surely is a concern.

But IMHO this is 99,99% not the reason why the muslim community protests. Well I guess once they stop polluting the air with their "noise" (I will not even call this singing) around the mosques in non muslim countries there should be no complaining!!

I believe in freedom of religion but PLEASE muslims do not force your religion on anyone else, specifically if you are in a non-muslim country and pray without disturbing others while calling for prayers noisily!

2015 ...

Nothing to do with being Muslims as far as I am concerned. Big commercial pig operations generate a huge

amount of waste and smell. If they were opening an operation near where you lived you would be protesting

as well. Probably nothing they can do as the correct wheels have been greased but I am sure no proper

environmental assessment was done.

LOL

I would suggest you should move contry son... Thais love Moo and thats there staple son... I come from Australia and Muslims are seperate Halal eating people

I know many Turks and they no care about pigs not bothered but just will not eat :)

Who are you to make demands about a farm that feeds a nation

Monkeys

I agree that there could be a lot of pollution from the Pig Farm and probably waste treatment would be substandard. So from this point of view a large farm surely is a concern.

But IMHO this is 99,99% not the reason why the muslim community protests. Well I guess once they stop polluting the air with their "noise" (I will not even call this singing) around the mosques in non muslim countries there should be no complaining!!

I believe in freedom of religion but PLEASE muslims do not force your religion on anyone else, specifically if you are in a non-muslim country and pray without disturbing others while calling for prayers noisily!

If Muslims do not like what goes on in a non Muslim country, they are free to leave.

2015 ...

meanwhile Maleisia is the biggest eporter of pigmeat in asia

Just another flavor of NIMBYism.

Nothing to see here.

Except Krabi's bread and butter is tourism and (I would guess) fishing.

Bazillions of places in Thailand to put industrial hog farms that don't risk poisoning the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Bottom line, this is THAILAND. Thailand raises swine all over. It is to be expected that pig farms will pop up, sooner or later. You are NOT going to get the indigenous people to change their ways, nor should you expect them to just to accommodate your desires. This works in other weak-willed, PC countries that have had their spines removed, but Thais will merely laugh, or pretend they don't understand you. I see this escalating to an unfortunate end - nothing good will come of it.

sad.png

LOL

I would suggest you should move contry son... Thais love Moo and thats there staple son... I come from Australia and Muslims are seperate Halal eating people

I know many Turks and they no care about pigs not bothered but just will not eat smile.png

Monkeys

The protestors would be Thai citizens. Islam is protected by the highest institution in Thailand and the Constitution.

I'm 100% sure if a large pig farm was planned to be located close to a residential area in Australia, or indeed most other countries, there would be huge protests from the local community.

LOL

I know many Turks and they no care about pigs not bothered but just will not eat smile.png

Monkeys

The protestors would be Thai citizens. Islam is protected by the highest institution in Thailand and the Constitution.

I'm 100% sure if a large pig farm was planned to be located close to a residential area in Australia, or indeed most other countries, there would be huge protests from the local community.

Jeez, man. There you go making sense. That's not fair when it's Muslim bashing... Or even Thai bashing...

2015 ...

Does this answer your question?

2015-01-17_140137_zpshx9x5rbu.png

After all communities are heard everything has to be halal, kosher or vegan. So who is complaining about plastic rice now?

Lupatria, I love you for posting that collage! Priceless!!! thumbsup.gif Eating a nice Samurai Burger, sizzled to perfection, as I type this clap2.gif

I think the "Muslim" element of this story is the hook with the bait for the headline writer.

Krabi has a 42% Muslim population, in rural areas this can be 100%.If a pig farm is to be built it would be built in a rural area and have an effect on the people living there.

Where is the information on how the developer plans to, control the effluent, build the farm, create employment?

Perhaps the developer has considered none of these which would hugely concern any neighbouring people Muslim or otherwise.

Without more information this story is just a headline grabber and as such is wide open for supposition.

So why do the 58% majority of the population have to put up with screaming islam at high volume?

2015 ...

Nothing to do with being Muslims as far as I am concerned. Big commercial pig operations generate a huge

amount of waste and smell. If they were opening an operation near where you lived you would be protesting

as well. Probably nothing they can do as the correct wheels have been greased but I am sure no proper

environmental assessment was done.

Then what does this mean: "Their leader said nearly all of the residents of the village are Muslims so the fear that the 100-rai pig farm would affect them."

In response to some posts about the "screaming Islam from loudspeakers", what has this to do with the proposed pig farm?

Has this " screaming" started science the plans were announced? Or should your obvious displeasure from this inflicted noise be in another thread altogether?

I find this worrisome. I don't believe this is a muslim issue at all, this is about a disgusting factory being built in their back yard.

The large pig farms in the US put out as much waste as the city of LA, and this would be a very toxic addition to the environment.

this for sure will do something to their water supplies as well as they air they breath.

What I find worrisome is that they are making this a muslim issue when it may not be, it's a neighbor thing.

The article doesn't make sense?

"20 billion bt pig farm"

"Their leader said nearly all of the residents of the village are Muslims so the fear that the 100-rai pig farm would affect them"

100 pig farm costing 20 billion bt?

100 pigs is not many at different ages from piglets to fully grown.

The article doesn't make sense?

"20 billion bt pig farm"

"Their leader said nearly all of the residents of the village are Muslims so the fear that the 100-rai pig farm would affect them"

100 pig farm costing 20 billion bt?

100 pigs is not many at different ages from piglets to fully grown.

100 Rai & 20 million, a little more tangible

Archived