Blatter wins re-election despite FIFA corruption scandal

Lite Beer

Blatter wins re-election despite FIFA corruption scandal
GRAHAM DUNBAR, AP Sports Writer

ZURICH (AP) — In the end, nothing could stop Sepp Blatter.

Not a far-reaching corruption scandal. Not a tarnished international image. Not a young prince who gave him a stronger-than-expected challenge.

Despite the biggest crisis in FIFA's 111-year history, Blatter emerged victorious once again Friday, winning re-election as president of world soccer's governing body for a fifth term and proving he is the sport's ultimate survivor.

"I am now the president of everybody," the 79-year-old Blatter crowed after defeating Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan to secure another four years in office as one of the most powerful men in sports.

Blatter was declared the victor after Prince Ali withdrew following the first round of secret balloting among FIFA's 209 member federations. Blatter won the first ballot 133-73, seven votes short of the two-thirds majority required for victory.

Before the start of the second round, where a simple majority would be enough for victory, the 39-year-old prince conceded defeat. By preventing Blatter from securing an outright first-round triumph, Prince Ali gave Blatter a symbolic bloody nose and showed that his previous iron grip on the organization has weakened.

"I want to thank all of you who were brave enough to support me," Prince Ali told the delegates.

With FIFA in turmoil amid a pair of U.S. and Swiss corruption investigations, Blatter had remained defiant and refused to step down — as demanded by European soccer's governing body, UEFA.

The result of the one-vote-per-country election proved that Blatter retains the loyalty of the many smaller countries in Africa and Asia, a bloc that is enough to counter his critics in Europe and elsewhere.

"I like you. I like my job," Blatter said to the assembly after receiving a mix of cheers and jeers as he stepped to the stage for his victory speech. "I am not perfect, nobody is perfect, but we will do a good job together I am sure."

Then he exhorted the delegates: "Together we go! Let's go FIFA! Let's go FIFA!"

The election took place two days after seven soccer officials were arrested in dawn raids at a luxury Zurich hotel. The U.S. Justice Department indicted 14 people on charges of bribery, racketeering, money-laundering and other charges. In a separate investigation, Swiss authorities are looking into FIFA's awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar. And Britain's Serious Fraud Office said Friday it is assessing "material in its possession" relating to allegations of FIFA corruption.

Blatter himself was not implicated in the U.S. indictments, but prosecutors have said the investigations are far from over.

FIFA's big-money sponsors have also called for change within FIFA. Visa warned it could pull out of its contract, which is worth at least $25 million a year through 2022.

Blatter, who has been in office for 17 years, portrayed himself as the man who can guide FIFA through the tumult and restore trust in an organization that has been left battered and reeling from years of corruption accusations.

"I have been made responsible for this storm," he said in his final speech to the voters before the election. "That's fine, that's fine. I take that responsibility. I take it. I take it upon myself and I also want to accept this responsibility, get back on the path, to fix FIFA, together with you."

The election went ahead after U.S. and Swiss federal investigations struck at the heart of Blatter's circle. Two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected executive committee member were still in custody Friday as the votes were counted.

"I thank you that you accepted me for the next four years," Blatter told the assembly. "I will be in command of this boat called FIFA and we will bring it back off shore and bring it back to the beach."

He cited God and Allah in his speech, saying they would help guide FIFA out of its crisis.

"I promise you, in the end of my term I will give this FIFA to my successor in a very, very strong position, a robust FIFA and a good FIFA," he said.

Blatter won despite direct calls for his resignation from UEFA president Michel Platini, who sat still during the congress and did not clap during the victory remarks.

"I am proud that UEFA has defended and supported a movement for change at FIFA, change which in my opinion is crucial if this organization is to regain its credibility," Platini said.

UEFA is scheduled to hold meetings next week in Berlin ahead of the Champions League final. Platini said before the vote that UEFA could pull out of FIFA and withdraw from the World Cup if Blatter was re-elected.

In what appeared to be a warning to UEFA, Blatter pledged Friday to change the representation of his influential executive committee, where Europe currently has eight of 25 voting members. Blatter also said he would retain a 32-team World Cup and resist expanding what is FIFA's cash cow.

England Football Association chairman Greg Dyke, who voted for Prince Ali, said Europe's opposition to Blatter would not wane.

"This isn't over by any means," he said. "The events of this week are so traumatic for FIFA that I cannot see FIFA reforming itself under Blatter — he's had (17) years to reform it and he hasn't done it."

Sunil Gulati, president of the U.S. soccer federation and a member of FIFA's executive committee, also voted against Blatter.

"While we are disappointed in the result of the election, we will continue to push for meaningful change within FIFA," he said. "Our goal is for governance of FIFA that is responsible, accountable, transparent and focused solely on the best interests of the game."

Blatter did have one big ally in Europe — Russia, the site of the next World Cup.

"Russia staunchly supported Blatter," Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko told The Associated Press, "so we are very satisfied with a result like this."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-30

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday a sports analyst was asked just how Blatter gets so much support and his answer was tremendous as he pointed out Blatter 's base is with the smaller countries and less powerful confederations where ' development ' money can just disappear , no questions asked.

Uefa have opposed him regularly and it's reported on the Internet he's already warned that Uefa representation on HIS executive committee is in danger of reduction. Note HIS executive not FIFA's.

It may be wishful thinking but I believe this time events will be too much for even him to wriggle out of.

No surprise that his main support came from Africa and Asia, where corruption is a way of life.

yes, for example the italian mafia and british banks famously being paragons of honesty and virtue.

could people stop with the lazy regional stereotypes around this when clearly the most corrupt one of the lot by a massive distance is swiss sepp himself?

No surprise that his main support came from Africa and Asia, where corruption is a way of life.

yes, for example the italian mafia and british banks famously being paragons of honesty and virtue.

could people stop with the lazy regional stereotypes around this when clearly the most corrupt one of the lot by a massive distance is swiss sepp himself?

whats wrong with his post its true these are seriously corrupt regions dont deny that or are you saying he,s racist because the truth hurts you,im thai and even you must be aware of corruption..the whole lot is rotton to the core..

whats wrong with his post its true these are seriously corrupt regions dont deny that or are you saying he,s racist because the truth hurts you,im thai and even you must be aware of corruption..the whole lot is rotton to the core..

You've missed the point. Theres no doubting the corruption in this region. The point is that this man is the lynchpin, orchestrating and holding the whole rotten organization together. He's the skilled operator, talking the talk, brash and unflappable whilst his collection of corrupt hangers on do as they are commanded to do in an operation that is basically masked in an umbrella of mutual self protection.

It is simple actually. Countries that support corruption as long as it benefits them support Blatter as

he sprinkles the sugar around. (Africa, Asia, etc,,,) Countries where rule of law is more developed

and see corruption as wrong were for Prince Ali.

BTW, I thought Prince Ali gave an excellent speech in his address to the delegates before the vote.

Blatter's no so good. So with this result, it will be corruption as usual at FIFA,

FIFA sucks, FIFA sucks, go UEFA, go nuclear, start a new federation. WFF, World Football Federation

you just said the whole lot is rotten to the core, so why single out asia and africa? FIFA is a switzerland-based organisation, a country that could teach the rest of the world everything about corruption.

the reason that asia and africa support blatter more than others do isn't that they're more corrupt, it's simply that they are poorer.

you just said the whole lot is rotten to the core, so why single out asia and africa? FIFA is a switzerland-based organisation, a country that could teach the rest of the world everything about corruption.

the reason that asia and africa support blatter more than others do isn't that they're more corrupt, it's simply that they are poorer.

No, it's because their culture of corruption makes it easier for them to hide the fact that they can trouser most of cash Blatter gives them for "football development". And he knows it and turns a blind eye to it in return for their votes.

UEFA should pull the plug and leave FIFA the America's would follow suit as they want to play on the world stage with European teams, then the other federations would jump ship as the FIFA gravy train hits the buffers, big sponsers would go with the uncorrupt new Football Federation, let Blatter sort that!

Was disgraceful yesterdayr watching that circus, Prince Ali gave a true vision of what FIFA should be, and that little bent dictator said nothing, not my fault, blah blah blah... then he spoke cdrival after Prince Ali withdrew from 2nd round vote (this sent the real message) any normal man with moral fibre would have retired for the game but not Blatter - ROTTON TO The Core!!

Shame on all the federations who voted for this state of affairs and corruption

Oh for a break away organisation to set up.Once sponsors walk away from FIFA they would be stuffed.

In fact a movement to shun sponsors products,who support FIFA, could be viable.

I couldn't bring myself to watch that odious little toad once the announcement came through.

UEFA should pull the plug and leave FIFA the America's would follow suit as they want to play on the world stage with European teams, then the other federations would jump ship as the FIFA gravy train hits the buffers, big sponsers would go with the uncorrupt new Football Federation, let Blatter sort that!

Was disgraceful yesterdayr watching that circus, Prince Ali gave a true vision of what FIFA should be, and that little bent dictator said nothing, not my fault, blah blah blah... then he spoke cdrival after Prince Ali withdrew from 2nd round vote (this sent the real message) any normal man with moral fibre would have retired for the game but not Blatter - ROTTON TO The Core!!

I thought I read/heard that many of the South American (footballing) nations voted for Prince Ali. If so there must be a serious chance of a move in fairly short order to let Sepp and FIFA wither on the vine. Any sponsors for a 'World Cup' of the African, Asian and Russian nations? Viva la 'Nouvelle Coppa del Nations' (sorry for the no doubt mangled Spanfrench)

I thought I read/heard that many of the South American (footballing) nations voted for Prince Ali. If so there must be a serious chance of a move in fairly short order to let Sepp and FIFA wither on the vine. Any sponsors for a 'World Cup' of the African, Asian and Russian nations? Viva la 'Nouvelle Coppa del Nations' (sorry for the no doubt mangled Spanfrench)

Thats just it isn't it. You have the main european and latin american football powers now fully anti Blatter. Surely now start lobbying the sponsors and the card house collapses.

Can somebody get a list of the main sponsors up out of interest. Problem is I suspect it will be a list of all the stuff I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and all the stuff my 5 year old and TW would not stop consuming on my instruction, even over my dead body!

Think Pepsi/MacDonalds/KFClaugh.png

Can somebody get a list of the main sponsors up out of interest. Problem is I suspect it will be a list of all the stuff I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and all the stuff my 5 year old and TW would not stop consuming on my instruction, even over my dead body!

Think Pepsi/MacDonalds/KFClaugh.png

well those ones and Visa. I would have thought it would only take a couple to defect and the others would feel tainted remaining with FIFA and follow suit.

Whilst not as simple as it sounds this whole scenario could have an avalanche effect. European football associations and UEFA have to grow some balls, now and strike whilst the irons hot.

Thats just it isn't it. You have the main european and latin american football powers now fully anti Blatter. Surely now start lobbying the sponsors and the card house collapses.

Eh?...so Spain and France are not included in "main" european powers? Yep, even Platini's own federation voted Blatter inclap2.gif

No actual need for the sarcasm. i simply wasn't aware those two voted for Blatter.

But sure enough, i'll try to latch onto and castigate any error you might inadvertently make in a post from now on. whistling.gifcheesy.gif

Can't be arsed with it anymore, a sickening odious toad of a man, married to an equally odious established mafioso organisation.

In any other walk of life they'd all be locked up.

Roll on the new season. [emoji85]

redrus

Can't be arsed with it anymore, a sickening odious toad of a man, married to an equally odious established mafioso organisation.

In any other walk of life they'd all be locked up.

Roll on the new season. [emoji85]

redrus

Don't worry, apparently they have the entire contents of the FIFA email and accounting system to go through after their early morning visit the other day.

thumbsup.gif

Blatter; EUEFA have a personal vendetta against me...

Blatters daughter interviewed on the Beeb; my father is not corrupt at all but a very honourable man and anyway no one will be talking about these things in a few weeks, they will forget...

Says it all about the Toads modus operandi

Hats off to Michelle Platini who told him to his face last week to step down and Greg Dyke English FA - who publicly said no confidence in FIFA leadership as things stand, can not see him lasting another 4 years, he has to go! Even Prince William stuck a Dagger in lol...

Archived