Thai Government Confirms Attempts Of Military Coup

Jai Dee

Thai government confirms attempts of military coup

It was true, rather than just rumor, that some militarymen were trying to stage a coup d'etat in Bangkok to oust caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Thai government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said Tuesday.

Surapong told a press conference Tuesday morning that a group of militarymen, as reported earlier, were mapping out a plan to stage a military coup while the caretaker Prime Minister was out of home for an overseas business trip.

A police source, requiring anonymity, also told Xinhua that some militarymen planned to kidnap a granddaughter of Thaksin, as part of the coup attempt, to bargain with Thaksin once the coup is successfully launched.

Thaksin, said in an interview Tuesday that he believed some people are trying to force him out of post. He said that since they had planted a car bomb, which was reportedly foiled as an assassination plot on Thaksin in August, "why not a military coup?"

Thaksin canceled his plan to directly return to Bangkok on Tuesday morning after attending the Sixth Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) in Helsinki, Finland, and decided to take a break in London, Britain before flying to Cuba to attend another meeting. He said it was for health concern, adding in a joking manner that he was not "pursuing asylum" to avoid domestic troubles.

Surapong also explained late Monday that it was not out of fear for a reported possibility of military coup that premier changed his schedule.

Source: Xinhua - 12 September 2006

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this becoming so bloody boring. Plots and super plots. I would like to think the Thai military are a little better skilled than what has been presented so far as an asassasination attempt.

Thaksin's granddaughter ??? What's all this ? Does anyone know of Thaksin having a granddaughter ? Aren't his kids barely out of their teens and have no children of their own ??

A police source, requiring anonymity, also told Xinhua that some militarymen planned to kidnap a granddaughter of Thaksin, as part of the coup attempt, to bargain with Thaksin once the coup is successfully launched.

And torture her, and cut her into little pieces.

One of the plotter was thinking too about planting a nuclear bomb into the pants of Thaksin's maid (you know the poor farmer girl who on the paper was owning billions THB of shares, ah sorry it was in 2001).

But this very naughty woman was reported to wear G-string. So this plan was dumped.

Thailand is new hub for "show comedy" or "scripts writers".

But actually, they are following perfectly the "confession" that the military guy gave in custody :

-Plan A : bomb

-Plan B : assassination (with a russian RPG)

-Plan C : a coup

I can assure you that the guild of thai writers are working very hard on the famous.... "PLAN Z".

But I can't give you details for now.

Isn't this becoming so bloody boring. Plots and super plots. I would like to think the Thai military are a little better skilled than what has been presented so far as an asassasination attempt.

Thaksin's granddaughter ??? What's all this ? Does anyone know of Thaksin having a granddaughter ? Aren't his kids barely out of their teens and have no children of their own ??

Well his son is well known to be the laddies' man, he might have fathered a child or two :D

Taksin is in UK in his mansion with his daughter for who knows what :D

Maybe his daughter is expecting? :o

Hmmmm Yas - Xinhua - that bastion of non-propagandist press reporting

Probably them just returning the favour for Thaksin's statement in Beijing (2001) that China was the only country to have ever helped Thailand since WW2

Smoke and mirrors

--------------

Of more interest is Thaksin attending the meeting of Non-Aligned Nations in Cuba - I thought Thailand was aligned - both to ASEAN and to the USA?

Maybe he's fishing to take over from Fidel, or to learn a few tricks about how to be a beneficial dictotor? I'm sure he'll get short shift from Fidel's son (currently ruling while his father convalesces) considering Thailand's historical stance towards communists.

--------------

Maybe we're all living under the Chinese curse of living in interesting times?

Gaz

is about time!

and with the new visa rules there'd be enough mercenaries to help the overthrowers, if they'd need any help.

thaksin exiled, disappeared like a fart in the universe - and the bank of the royal household, the siam commercial bank, still sitting on the SHIN sale cash ...

or has that money been siphoned off?

Well I was wondering how a media service so far away would have this and not the local news, then I noticed it is a Chinese name and certainly they are very accustom to printing what the government wants to say.

At any rate right on Que with this, next is the big state of emergency in that Thaksin takes control of everything and what is left of democracy in Thailand will possibly gasp it’s last breath for many years.

This plot is serious, it was hatched on the 4th hole and continued in planning onto the 19th hole.

Most high ranking Thai army officers are more concerned with how many caddies they need and how the handicap is going than staging a take-over.

The pra-thi-wat in Thailand is about exchanging one group of crooks with some uniformed ones while it is decided who is going to rob the country next.

I personally would start with a few warning shots, right into Thaksins square head. :o

"Blow winds and crack your cheeks! Rage, blow!" were the words of a maddened King Lear in a potent production at the Bangkok Repertory Theatre this week. The opening scene begins with the King changing from avuncular to enraged in his poor attempts to wield power and, in the final tender, he displays scenes of impending madness. Without doubt, the second act displays a quilt of action, deep emotion and meaning, all physically frightening and awe inspiring, with a production and cast to match. There's plenty of tension, diametrics and drama with pity strongly sought after and, for good measure, outright humour. The Bangkok Repertory Theatre's production continues through September...

Thaksin relaxing in London

Is relaxing in London possible?

Thai Military ,can the generals actualy waddle unsupported far enough to make a coup work?

=================================================================

It's all total rubbish: Thaksin is in London for a very good reason. I read in the Bangkok Post a few days ago, that he has been shipping-out (literally !) tons of assets to a unknown destination. In fact, they wrote that he filled an entire airplane of 747-size, completely full of his assets . . . . . It is obvious to me that he wants to be in London when all of these posessions arrive, because he knows for sure to trust NOBODY with his stuff ! ! ! !

Am I the only guy who actually read about this ???? I am so surprised that nobody else picked-up on this little tidbit of information . . . .

Thaksin obviously realizes that his days here are numbered; so he's preparing his new nest elsewhere and that would probably someplace in the UK

Look forward to more feedback on this one.

:o

JGK

The title of this one is a bit misleading, the government hasn't confirmed a coup attempt. This isn't news, it's a rumour and probably perpetuated in order to solidify Thaksin's control over millitary commands in Bangkok.

If it is true this time, Thailand has quite a history of military coups .. do a search on the web and you get articles such as: http://countrystudies.us/thailand/81.htm

or even ....September 17, 1957 in History - Event: Thailand military coup under marshal Sarit Thanarat

or http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?frd/...d(DOCID+th0035)

It seems to be a common way of doing things here.

To be very honest all of this is just one big grand act for Thaksin. I truly feel very bad for the King because this is very stressful and would only serve to slow down his recovery from surgery. I also know from news reports the King wants to let democracy take it’s course. A coup would only serve to destroy democracy. If democracy is gone what would you suspect the King would do? Are we seeing the final parts of the Finland plan here? It appears the only person obsessed with power is Thaksin, everyone else is willing to let democracy decide. So if there was a coup, you can bet Thaksin is behind it as an excuse the same as the fake car bomb.

I just spoke on the phone to a friend in Bangkok who is a Lt General in the army.

He was seriously concerned with recent developments and wanted my urgent advice.

He said he had suddenly developed the "yips" with his putting due to the ongoing Political crisis.

Seems the current Political problems have led to major problems with driving, chipping and putting in the armed forces.

How is a man to concentrate on his game while plot and counter plot is going on.

It enough to make a man take up Tennis for a while :o