Thailand Brit murder suspects 'still waiting' on evidence review

Lite Beer

It's their lawyers who need re examined......first they were slapped into confession then 2 days later it was water torture and by the end of the week the story changed to being doused in petrol and set on fire if they didn't confess,

The current Prime MInister has been coming down on people for a lot less that covering up a murder............those of you that think some jumped up village leader has enough clout to buy off and hush up hundreds of police officers right under the nose of the man need your heads looked at

Hundred of investigators but not one has come out publicly and accused the police of wrong doing only talk talk talk and gossip but not one bit shred of real evidence to say anything other than these 2 animals murdered 2 innocent people.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You never know.....maybe the police officials are just playing a sort of "going through the motions game" so that the media spot light is not on them so intensely and then end up letting the suspects go, long after the events of last September are near forgotten and everyone is occupied with new events and no time to go back to the old events.

They may feel they had to arrest "someone" "anyone" will do for now ( even though wrong to do so ) with the intent to never really officially accuse them and or have them spend any time in prison....but meantime they have to have someone held in custody.

With all the odd events and occurrences that happen here in Thailand concerning the police and "things" we will never know about or be privy to......they could be doing just that.....as suggested above.

Cheers

BBC are doing an interesting piece pointing out the judge who initially agreed to the review has now changed his mind saying he will not consider it until the trial has actually started which will be too late.

The judge is alao being quoted as saying he sees no reason to question police methods.

Looks like this case is about to blow up again big time.

Nice if Mr Prayuth would take a personal interest in this trial..

He has.

He declared them guilty.

That's not a joke.

coffee1.gif

This latest news is beyond belief. If the family and friends of Hannah and David truly want a fair trial then they should themselves be putting pressure on the judge to allow the defence to review the evidence. This may be the only pressure that the judge will respect. I hope and pray there will be a massive public media outcry over this latest news.

I surprised the two Burmese haven't managed to commit suicide yet.

It would be so much easier for everyone.

Still time!

One more thought,

As the bodies were returned to the UK, wouldn't the UK police have the DNA evidence from the source?

Why not ask the UK police for some of the DNA evidence to check?

Do it all in the UK, publish the result online.

With all this talk of ridding Thailand of corruption, I can't help but think that this is a missed opportunity to show some transparency. After all, the eyes of the world will be watching this trial, and based on how the case has been conducted so far, those eyes are coloured with skepticism and doubt. An effective, transparent judiciary should attempt to deliver fairness in legal processes and is probably the most powerful weapon against corruption. We can only hope that they get a fair trial.

I agree with you that this is an opportunity for the courts to show some transparency. But this may not be as easy as it sounds.

If the Law in Thailand now stands that the the Prosecution does not provide collected evidence to the Defense, which I believe it is, then it is really not up to the Prosecution to make this decision. Perhaps why they went to court to be able to do obtain this permission and evidence.

But I question whether or not this Judge had the authority to change this law, and that his decision is not being reviewed by a Higher Court. After all, you are looking at this Judge changing a Law, which sets a precedence on future cases. In my country this can only be don't by the Highest Court in the Land, or the Supreme Court.

David Eades on BBC World just had a discussion with Jonathan Head live in Bangkok which painted a very negative picture of both the Thai police and the Thai justice system. There was even mention of discrepancies in other cases that have involved tourists in this country.

It must be highly embarrassing for the Thai government to hear such scathing remarks about these two Thai institutions being beamed around the world.

With all this talk of ridding Thailand of corruption, I can't help but think that this is a missed opportunity to show some transparency. After all, the eyes of the world will be watching this trial, and based on how the case has been conducted so far, those eyes are coloured with skepticism and doubt. An effective, transparent judiciary should attempt to deliver fairness in legal processes and is probably the most powerful weapon against corruption. We can only hope that they get a fair trial.

Yes I hope for justice.

As a side note, the fixer aka the Senior Policeman who took over this case in the early stages and brought the two Burmese men in to face trial has been dispatched to sort Human Trafficking in Thailand.

Hi. I wish the whole World would be watching but I fear that is not the case. I watched a 30 second clip on BBC this morning which just mentioned the DNA evidence not being available yet. And that was it. Sad as it is to say, there's so much other stuff happening around the World this case seems inconsequential by comparison to ISIS etc. These 2 kids are <deleted>

BBC are doing an interesting piece pointing out the judge who initially agreed to the review has now changed his mind saying he will not consider it until the trial has actually started which will be too late.

The judge is alao being quoted as saying he sees no reason to question police methods.

Looks like this case is about to blow up again big time.

He has.

He declared them guilty.

That's not a joke.

coffee1.gif

Can you link where he says that they are guilty as I don't recall seeing that.

I do recall him saying that women who wear Bikini Swim Suits are setting themselves up for Rape, but not what you keep saying.

This latest news is beyond belief. If the family and friends of Hannah and David truly want a fair trial then they should themselves be putting pressure on the judge to allow the defence to review the evidence. This may be the only pressure that the judge will respect. I hope and pray there will be a massive public media outcry over this latest news.

Are you Crazy or just Drunk?

I surprised the two Burmese haven't managed to commit suicide yet.

It would be so much easier for everyone.

Still time!

One more thought,

As the bodies were returned to the UK, wouldn't the UK police have the DNA evidence from the source?

Why not ask the UK police for some of the DNA evidence to check?

Do it all in the UK, publish the result online.

Good Point!

Except I don't think they could get the DNA from the accused to match it to the crime. But it might be a good idea to collect it anyway and while they still can.

It's their lawyers who need re examined......first they were slapped into confession then 2 days later it was water torture and by the end of the week the story changed to being doused in petrol and set on fire if they didn't confess,

The current Prime MInister has been coming down on people for a lot less that covering up a murder............those of you that think some jumped up village leader has enough clout to buy off and hush up hundreds of police officers right under the nose of the man need your heads looked at

Hundred of investigators but not one has come out publicly and accused the police of wrong doing only talk talk talk and gossip but not one bit shred of real evidence to say anything other than these 2 animals murdered 2 innocent people.

I am amazed by the fact that you refer to the accused as animals. In any civilised country, they are innocent, until proved otherwise (beyond reasonable doubt) in a fair and transparent trial.

You really have a lot to learn about the 'influential' links between the 'jumped up village leader' of Koh Tao (and the rest of the Samui archipelago).This is Sutep's back garden. Why not read up on the subject next time before posting such ill informed and derogatory drivel. You refer to the accused as animals.....takes one to know one!

If the police and prosecution deem their case to be 'perfect', then why the delaying tactics over the forensics?

For the defence to only be allowed access to this in July, on the first day of the trial, is mind boggling.

He has, but I don't think he's stated, as some in this thread say, that the 2 are guilty. He did say, "if the DNA matches, then they're guilty of murder." The DNA is sexually-related, so having sex should not automatically prove guilt in murder.

I was wondering when someone would pipe up and try to justify the latest twist. It was the 32nd post - all prior posts expressed some degree of anger or frustration, that Thai officialdom is making it so difficult for 2 accused men to get a fair trial.

As the bodies were returned to the UK, wouldn't the UK police have the DNA evidence from the source? Why not ask the UK police for some of the DNA evidence to check? Do it all in the UK, publish the result online.

It's already been mentioned, several times, how the British Coroner's Office seem to be asleep at the wheel. They, and other Brit experts have done as little as humanly possible - to try and determine what happened that awful night. Many observers think it's primarily because diplomatic niceties trump doing what's right for the victims. In this case, there are two pairs of victims: the two who were murdered, and the subsequent two who are in prison without bail, and who may also be officially murdered, if Thai officialdom gets their way.

Sondhi Limtrakool asserted publicly that the reason for this is that the connections in KT went right up to the NCPO. So far they have not done anything that makes Sondhi's allegations seem implausible.

"In April a court on the nearby island of Koh Samui approved the defence's request to independently analyse the evidence against their clients, including DNA and physical evidence at the crime scene such as blood stains and a shirt.

But the lead lawyer on the defence side said his team had been told by the court that they would only find out whether they can access the evidence on July 8 -- the first day of the trial."

Let's look at this. Is the defence lawyer lying, or the news report wrong? Let's presume not. We are not told why the court has said the defence might not be able to access the evidence on July 8. Has the court realised that the procedure is that the the court must decide first, after representations by both sides, whether the evidence is admissible? If so, why not say so? So we are left puzzling what is the reason. Or, in the case of TV posters, jumping to conclusions.

One thing for certain, putting the issue off to July 8 means adjourning the case then if the court decides that the evidence is admissible. We are left wondering why the issue cannot be dealt with earlier.

On the face of it, the court is not trying to proceed with this case with all due speed. Surely, instead of whinging, the defence should apply for an earlier determination of the issue as the whether the defence are to be allowed to access the evidence. The application should either be to the court or by way of appeal to a higher court, depending upon procedure under Thai law, on the grounds of public policy. If Thai law has no provision for justice to be afforded in this way, then one can seriously question whether Thai law will be able to provide justice, but I do not think the Government would allow it to get to that.

The sham continues to speak for itself, there will only be justice if the worlds media continues to keep a spotlight firmly on.

The job of the people is to keep it circulating on social media so the main media WANT to keep up with current interest trends.

Just waiting for the usual shills to pop in and tow the party line now.

People also see the trend of Thailand being in the news for torturing, human trafficking, abuse, slavery, mass murders, corruption, repeated lies, ignoring UN standards, hiso protecting when guilty and many other disgusting examples that are doing the news rounds more and more.

Thailand is getting a well earned bad reputation for many things right now..... its good for the B2B the mask of Thailand has slipped right off. It might be the best chance at justice they have.

Wot a stupid post and person you are.

Show us the evidence sherlock that these 2 lads are guilty.

Ru thai by any chance?

From the BBC link in canopus's comment #1

<snip>

The investigation is only "perfect" as follow-up on the famous statement "Thai person could not do such a thing"

I've seen this stupid assertion made so often, do you have a link to whoever said it? And why do you and other people keep posting it? Do you think it a witty remark on Thai culture? Do you think it shows how perceptive you are?

The eyes of the world will watch, but will soon forget as it has done in the past, this is the Thai way, and memories soon fade

BBC are also on to it LINK

Well good on the BBC. however, it would have been better if the UK police/authorities hadn't put on their sham investigation concluding the Thais were on the right path, thus legitimising their claims of everything having been conducted in the proper manner. It would have been far better if they'd shown their disdain by not coming here at all. However, diplomatic relations and all that pip pip.

Correct, I can't believe for a moment that the British haven't got their own DNA samples, nobody on this planet has better forensic technology than them and it's noticeable that the Thai police have clamped up on providing information since the British detectives have come and gone. It's going to be one big stich up.

Archived