Thailand Brit murder suspects 'still waiting' on evidence review

Lite Beer

The direct involvement of a UK forensics expert (assisting the defense) offers a glimmer of hope to those of us who seek truth and justice. However, we've had our hopes dashed many times in this case. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Moulden (or whomever else might be able to shed light on this case) is found to be 'working without a work visa' ....or some such crap. Thai officialdom has battened down the hatches with this case, and doesn't want anything or anyone to interfere with their bee-line for conviction of the scapegoats.

Less desirable, for Thai officials, would be dropped charges for the B2, but officials could handle that. What spooks Thai officials and the Headman's people most of all is if the original suspects get scrutinized again - to see whether they were involved. That won't and can't happen. The original suspects are related to the rich and powerful headman. They're off the hook, and nothing can change that. It's not like the US, for example, where a 'cold case' can be looked at, sometimes years later. This is Thailand - and besides VIP's being untouchable, there is not one official who would dare lift a finger to take a new look at a 'cold case.'

"us who seek truth and justice"

You think if you keep telling that it becomes true? Here's how much you care about the truth (let alone justice):

"What spooks Thai officials and the Headman's people most of all is if the original suspects get scrutinized again"

Why would they be spooked to scrutinize three Burmese men?

"Police today (September 16) were questioning three Burmese men over the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao"

“Three male Myanmar migrant workers are under police detention for investigation,” southern regional police commander Lt Gen Panya Maman said"

“We are focusing on migrant workers because of the surrounding witnesses and evidence, including the video footage,” Major General Kiattipong Khawsamang said in a public statement yesterday (Sept 16)"

Is it something special about this case or is it a hobby of yours to muck up the actual historical record of other murders and rapes by constantly peddling false information?

Very Slick, AleG. You and I know when I mention 'original prime suspects' I'm referring to the Headman's brother and son. Yet you deliberately re-direct my mention to make it appear I was referring to others who were not prime suspects - and then go on to make harebrained comments about that. We don't expect you to address the O.P., but we might harbor a slight hope that you don't twist other peoples' words - in order to back up your praises of how the RTP have handled this investigation.

Who were the police looking for during the initial days of the investigation? Connect the dots.

If the DNA matches the rest is Bull Sh-t!

Yes, it could be quite damning if the DNA matches. But that's looking like a bigger 'if' as each week passes by, and Thai officials keep dodging any responsibility or professionalism re; the DNA trail. Thai officialdom will probably get the convictions they want, but it sure won't look kosher. A group of men can slam and jam a bush in to the ground with sledgehammers and bludgeons, but they can't pass themselves off (to objective observers), as gardeners. I can dump a can of nuts and bolts on the engine of your truck and say I fixed your starter motor. It might fool some people who know nothing of mechanics, but it won't fool the majority.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Asian Human Rights Commission called the Thai legal system a "mess" and called for a drastic overhaul of Thailand's criminal procedures. It cited the rampant use of forced confessions, and the fact that even a senior justice ministry official admitted that 30% of cases went to court with no evidence. It also criticized the judiciary for failing to ensure that trials are conducted speedily, citing the case of four Thai men accused of plotting to kill Supreme Court President Praman Chansue (Thai: ประมาณ ชันซื่อ). The accused were present in court 461 times before 91 different judges since proceedings began in 1993 and ended in 2008. While these proceedings continued, Mr Praman died in 2007.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Thailand

What could possibly go wrong ......................... ?

If the poster who said that the Thai system does not allow for pre-trial discovery knows what he is talking about, and I see no reason to doubt it, the Thai judicial system has had less than a century to get fine-tuned, I cannot see the reason for this thread continuing at the present time. It is only of use to people who like to hurl insults at Thais in general and who doubt the basic goodness of the Thai people. The issue is simple, as I indicated in my last post, and these TV posters have just ignored it. Why is thoughtless abuse like this allowed on this site?

Thankfully, Thailand still allows freedom of speech - to a decent degree. That's why we're able to submit comments on a blog like this, which is published in Thailand. If we were in China or N.Korea, it would not be possible to have a blog like this. To address your concern about (as you say) 'hurling insults' at Thais. It's the Thai officials who are directly involved with this crime investigation who are at the receiving end of most comments. Also those who were prime suspects, but who were let off too easily, never to be looked at again from a legal perspective. Those are the people who get besmirched. If you don't think they deserve it, speak up and tell us why.

"In April a court on the nearby island of Koh Samui approved the defence's request to independently analyse the evidence against their clients, including DNA and physical evidence at the crime scene such as blood stains and a shirt.

But the lead lawyer on the defence side said his team had been told by the court that they would only find out whether they can access the evidence on July 8 -- the first day of the trial."

So how can they possibly get the evidence independently analysed before the trial? The way I read the above - impossible!

And consequently, the chances of having a fair trial are also impossible when the court makes such contradictory statements.

This case has been full of these b@#$%^&s from the start - from the initial contamination of the crime scene, to the transfer of the police chief in charge of the case, to the conflicting statements from the RTP in the weeks following the incident, and the case being fired back at the RTP by the prosecution numerous times to make it "perfect", and now this!

Absolutely staggering that the court can agree to the defence request, and then say that they will only make a decision on the same request on the first day of the trial i.e July 8. Surely they have already made the decision in April?

And all this in spite of the fact that they must surely know that the world is watching this case with extreme interest, and must now be saying "What on earth is going on with Thailand's justice system?" How can they claim that ANYBODY will get a fair trial when decisions like this are made, then reversed on goodness knows whose whim?

From the BBC link in canopus's comment #1

<snip>

The investigation is only "perfect" as follow-up on the famous statement "Thai person could not do such a thing"

I've seen this stupid assertion made so often, do you have a link to whoever said it? And why do you and other people keep posting it? Do you think it a witty remark on Thai culture? Do you think it shows how perceptive you are?

I think it was the Police Chief on the island at the time, Prachum Ruangthong who made that statement, and I believe he was transferred soon after, possibly due to the controversy surrounding the investigation.

A quote from the BBC Web site....

The victims' families have said they are keen to see the "right people" convicted.

These are not the "right" people, and everyone knows that.

But are the Thai authorities going to take two more innocent lives?

Over to you General......

The General already publicly declared the police work as good, the evidence dam.ning, and the B2 as guilty.

Now it will be down to a 'panel of judges' and not a jury to find them guilty, as if they're going to disagree with the military ruler and make him lose massive amounts of face globally.

It's over.

coffee1.gif

From the BBC link in canopus's comment #1

<snip>

The investigation is only "perfect" as follow-up on the famous statement "Thai person could not do such a thing"

I've seen this stupid assertion made so often, do you have a link to whoever said it? And why do you and other people keep posting it? Do you think it a witty remark on Thai culture? Do you think it shows how perceptive you are?

Here's one of numerous links.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29262496

AleG said and I quote...

'F- One of them was caught when trying to flee the island.'

Yet another total lie.

Some people like to make up their own "facts"!

Some people, that being berybert and you, should learn not to be opinionated from a position of ignorance. It casts you both in a very bad light.

"While this was going on another team of police officers arrested the third man at a Surat Thani municipal pier after it was discovered that he had boarded a boat and left Koh Tao Island late last night."

If I remember correctly, it was Win Zao the one that tried to flee.

So now then, who was lying?

The direct involvement of a UK forensics expert (assisting the defense) offers a glimmer of hope to those of us who seek truth and justice. However, we've had our hopes dashed many times in this case. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Moulden (or whomever else might be able to shed light on this case) is found to be 'working without a work visa' ....or some such crap. Thai officialdom has battened down the hatches with this case, and doesn't want anything or anyone to interfere with their bee-line for conviction of the scapegoats.

Less desirable, for Thai officials, would be dropped charges for the B2, but officials could handle that. What spooks Thai officials and the Headman's people most of all is if the original suspects get scrutinized again - to see whether they were involved. That won't and can't happen. The original suspects are related to the rich and powerful headman. They're off the hook, and nothing can change that. It's not like the US, for example, where a 'cold case' can be looked at, sometimes years later. This is Thailand - and besides VIP's being untouchable, there is not one official who would dare lift a finger to take a new look at a 'cold case.'

"us who seek truth and justice"

You think if you keep telling that it becomes true? Here's how much you care about the truth (let alone justice):

"What spooks Thai officials and the Headman's people most of all is if the original suspects get scrutinized again"

Why would they be spooked to scrutinize three Burmese men?

"Police today (September 16) were questioning three Burmese men over the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao"

“Three male Myanmar migrant workers are under police detention for investigation,” southern regional police commander Lt Gen Panya Maman said"

“We are focusing on migrant workers because of the surrounding witnesses and evidence, including the video footage,” Major General Kiattipong Khawsamang said in a public statement yesterday (Sept 16)"

Is it something special about this case or is it a hobby of yours to muck up the actual historical record of other murders and rapes by constantly peddling false information?

Very Slick, AleG. You and I know when I mention 'original prime suspects' I'm referring to the Headman's brother and son. Yet you deliberately re-direct my mention to make it appear I was referring to others who were not prime suspects - and then go on to make harebrained comments about that. We don't expect you to address the O.P., but we might harbor a slight hope that you don't twist other peoples' words - in order to back up your praises of how the RTP have handled this investigation.

Who were the police looking for during the initial days of the investigation? Connect the dots.

If the DNA matches the rest is Bull Sh-t!

Yes, it could be quite damning if the DNA matches. But that's looking like a bigger 'if' as each week passes by, and Thai officials keep dodging any responsibility or professionalism re; the DNA trail. Thai officialdom will probably get the convictions they want, but it sure won't look kosher. A group of men can slam and jam a bush in to the ground with sledgehammers and bludgeons, but they can't pass themselves off (to objective observers), as gardeners. I can dump a can of nuts and bolts on the engine of your truck and say I fixed your starter motor. It might fool some people who know nothing of mechanics, but it won't fool the majority.

You said "original suspects", I highligted it to make it clear, to yourself, what you said, because you seem too busy with saving face to pay attention to the truth that you claim to care so much for.

Should I highlight any other blatant displays of intellectual dishonesty from you?

"Who were the police looking for during the initial days of the investigation? Connect the dots."

No need to connect the dots inside your head, read the accounts, I provided a link to precisely that point. Then again facts scare you so you run right back to "connecting dots" according to what you really really wish had happened. Here it is again, in case you also missed that:

We are focusing on migrant workers because of the surrounding witnesses and evidence, including the video footage,” Major General Kiattipong Khawsamang said in a public statement yesterday (Sept 16)"

With all this talk of ridding Thailand of corruption, I can't help but think that this is a missed opportunity to show some transparency. After all, the eyes of the world will be watching this trial, and based on how the case has been conducted so far, those eyes are coloured with skepticism and doubt. An effective, transparent judiciary should attempt to deliver fairness in legal processes and is probably the most powerful weapon against corruption. We can only hope that they get a fair trial.

With the real perpetrators family connections it simply won't happen. These two poor lads will fry and the Thai authorities will not give a damn at what the world thinks.

But the lead lawyer on the defence side said his team had been told by the court that they would only find out whether they can access the evidence on July 8 -- the first day of the trial."

Is it; 'will find out whether they can access the evidence on July 8'

or 'will be allowed to get the evidence scrutinized by Thai experts on July 8' ?

I thought it was the latter statement. Either way it's the pits, but the first interpretation "find out whether....." is worse for the defense, because a judge who said 'yes' in April and the 'maybe' in May, can easily decide 'No' in July. Even if he says 'ok' to the defense's request to have the data re-tested, you can bet it will be a constrictive allowance. In other words, there will be conditions "you can only look at this, but not at that...." which would be keeping with the trends of the past 9 months - where evidence is either hidden, excused ("sure, bar owner, you can destroy CCTV from that night, it's your property, isn't' it? ha ha ha") or evidence has been denied or mishandled, mis-diagnosed, ignored, not sought, or all of the above.

About 10 days after the crime, while there was ever-increasing leverage from the uniformed bosses in Bkk to quickly indict someone (but don't touch the Headman's friends and family) ....police raided a daytime game sports game. Several Burmese were playing soccer or Sepak Takraw on the beach in the afternoon. Police, in their zeal to find scapegoats, raided the game, shouting for everyone to stop playing and come hither. Two of the boys ran off. Those were probably the two that are being held without bail as we speak. If I'd been a young migrant worker playing on the beach, and cops started running towards me, shouting and blowing whistles, I would have run also. Running from cops, makes cops angry. So they had added reason to go after the two who ran. If one of them left the island, it was probably not a big deal, unless there's some sort of apartheid law which says migrants aren't allowed to travel freely in Thailand. If the young man was fleeing a murder rap, why would he wait many days to do so? It's not the actions of a guilty person, any more than going home and going to sleep on that fateful night.

Some people, that being berybert and you, should learn not to be opinionated from a position of ignorance. It casts you both in a very bad light.

"While this was going on another team of police officers arrested the third man at a Surat Thani municipal pier after it was discovered that he had boarded a boat and left Koh Tao Island late last night."

Why does being in Surat Thani pier mean he was fleeing? I live on an island and going to the mainland is a something that needs to be done as island groceries etc are double the price.

Important to me and I imagine very pertinent to Burmese immigrants trying to save money.

AleG said and I quote...

'F- One of them was caught when trying to flee the island.'

Yet another total lie.

Some people like to make up their own "facts"!

Well done then. According to the police, who only tell the truth....... (your link)

They must indeed have the 3 guilty ones. After all, they all confessed to the crime.

Ummm........ but they let one go I guess after he confessed .......... shucks.

(Edited to add drama)

To those That believe these two men did this. Am I to believe that these two small framed men on some sort of randomly enduced psychotic rage (that both Of them experienced simultaneously) were able to subdue and rape Hannah while at the same time managed to beat to death the 190 cm tall, fit and young David Miller? I am having an extremely hard time believing that is the way it went. Not to mention the complete shambles of a police 'investigation' that followed.

"In April a court on the nearby island of Koh Samui approved the defence's request to independently analyse the evidence against their clients, including DNA and physical evidence at the crime scene such as blood stains and a shirt.

So how can they possibly get the evidence independently analysed before the trial? The way I read the above - impossible!

And consequently, the chances of having a fair trial are also impossible when the court makes such contradictory statements.

This case has been full of these b@#$%^&s from the start - from the initial contamination of the crime scene, to the transfer of the police chief in charge of the case, to the conflicting statements from the RTP in the weeks following the incident, and the case being fired back at the RTP by the prosecution numerous times to make it "perfect", and now this!

Absolutely staggering that the court can agree to the defence request, and then say that they will only make a decision on the same request on the first day of the trial i.e July 8. Surely they have already made the decision in April?

And all this in spite of the fact that they must surely know that the world is watching this case with extreme interest, and must now be saying "What on earth is going on with Thailand's justice system?" How can they claim that ANYBODY will get a fair trial when decisions like this are made, then reversed on goodness knows whose whim?

About 10 days after the crime, while there was ever-increasing leverage from the uniformed bosses in Bkk to quickly indict someone (but don't touch the Headman's friends and family) ....police raided a daytime game sports game. Several Burmese were playing soccer or Sepak Takraw on the beach in the afternoon. Police, in their zeal to find scapegoats, raided the game, shouting for everyone to stop playing and come hither. Two of the boys ran off. Those were probably the two that are being held without bail as we speak. If I'd been a young migrant worker playing on the beach, and cops started running towards me, shouting and blowing whistles, I would have run also. Running from cops, makes cops angry. So they had added reason to go after the two who ran. If one of them left the island, it was probably not a big deal, unless there's some sort of apartheid law which says migrants aren't allowed to travel freely in Thailand. If the young man was fleeing a murder rap, why would he wait many days to do so? It's not the actions of a guilty person, any more than going home and going to sleep on that fateful night.

Now, let's clear up the latest Boomerangutang makes things up episode:

About 10 days after the crime, while there was ever-increasing leverage from the uniformed bosses in Bkk to quickly indict someone (but don't touch the Headman's friends and family) ....police raided a daytime game sports game. Several Burmese were playing soccer or Sepak Takraw on the beach in the afternoon. Police, in their zeal to find scapegoats, raided the game, shouting for everyone to stop playing and come hither. Two of the boys ran off. Those were probably the two that are being held without bail as we speak...

"they were probably", this marks the spot were Boomerangutang decides that facts are boring and he rather make use of some made believe scenarios to explain all those bad, bad facts away.

But hey, you just tacitly admitted that I was right and sambum and berybert were wrong (as usual), so thanks, I guess.

Why does being in Surat Thani pier mean he was fleeing? I live on an island and going to the mainland is a something that needs to be done as island groceries etc are double the price.

Important to me and I imagine very pertinent to Burmese immigrants trying to save money.

Oh, just a coincidence then. Add that to the coincidence that it was a couple days after they had their DNA samples taken, a day or so after the police announced the imminent arrest of the suspects and the biggest coincidence of all that those two men, out of the entire population of Koh Tao that were "framed" to be "scapegoats" by the police happened, just happened to had "found" David Miller's phone on the night of the murders, a phone that was found after their arrest.

Yep, all a series of unfortunate coincidences, sure, right. :rolleyes:

You said "original suspects", I highligted it to make it clear, to yourself, what you said, because you seem too busy with saving face to pay attention to the truth that you claim to care so much for.

Should I highlight any other blatant displays of intellectual dishonesty from you?

"Who were the police looking for during the initial days of the investigation? Connect the dots."

No need to connect the dots inside your head, read the accounts, I provided a link to precisely that point. Then again facts scare you so you run right back to "connecting dots" according to what you really really wish had happened. Here it is again, in case you also missed that:

We are focusing on migrant workers because of the surrounding witnesses and evidence, including the video footage, Major General Kiattipong Khawsamang said in a public statement yesterday (Sept 16)"

AleG, if I write 'original suspects' or 'initial prime suspects' - we both know who I'm referring to.

Of course, Thai officialdom is going to try to focus on migrant workers when looking for suspects. It didn't stick initially in this case, but they got it to stick after working hard at it, while turning a blind eye to the original prime suspects (can you guess who I'm referring to?). Perhaps you're trying to get me to say their names, then they can slap defamation of character suits on me. That would bring a smile to some faces. I and dozens of other posters herein have already mentioned the original prime suspects hundreds of times. You know who they are. If you want to obfuscate and divert, you can do it to your heart's content.

Aleg

I think you are being a bit dis ingenious , with regards the article you linked to in post 103 , reference focusing on migrant workers ,

http://asiancorrespondent.com/126768/thai-police-question-british-men-over-koh-tao-murders/

The article refers to cctv footage where an uknown man is seen with an asian woman is mistaken for Hannah and David

The article just illustrates that the miss information if it exists originated from the RTP

With these Burmese migrants looking increasingly like scapegoats - with the full power of Thai officialdom, from the PM on down - arrayed against them, I'm wondering about another case. There was a farang woman raped on a beach at Ko Samui a few years ago. Right away, 3 Burmese migrants were rounded up, accused, found guilty and slapped in prison. Were they also scapegoats? I don't know, but perhaps so, considering how Thai officials are showing how eager they are to shield Thais and convict the most vulnerable / those at the bottom of the social ladder.

To those That believe these two men did this. Am I to believe that these two small framed men on some sort of randomly enduced psychotic rage (that both Of them experienced simultaneously) were able to subdue and rape Hannah while at the same time managed to beat to death the 190 cm tall, fit and young David Miller? I am having an extremely hard time believing that is the way it went. Not to mention the complete shambles of a police 'investigation' that followed.

I could not agree more . I thought all along that the BIB picked on two kids,not heavy men. No way could these lads do as claimed by the police . Absolutely impossible .

Yes, he was big, they are small, so?

I suggest an experiment to help you understand things better, ask a child to have a go at your head, from behind, with a hoe; as hard as he can muster.

But before please ask a next-of-kin to come back to us with the results since I don't think they have invented an online Ouija board yet.

As for Whiteridge you, or anyone else that wasn't there, don't know how she reacted or how was she was subdued. It takes about two seconds to come up with ways that could have played out, for example one blow to Miller from behind, knocking him out immediately followed by another to Whiteridge knocking her out too, But it seems that you are limiting yourself to scenarios that don't make sense in order to reach the conclusion that it couldn't possibly had been the two Burmese; in other words, tailoring your premises so that they lead to the conclusion you selected beforehand.

I suggest an experiment to help you understand things better, ask a child to have a go at your head, from behind, with a hoe; as hard as he can muster.

But before please ask a next-of-kin to come back to us with the results since I don't think they have invented an online Ouija board yet.

As for Whiteridge you, or anyone else that wasn't there, don't know how she reacted or how was she was subdued. It takes about two seconds to come up with ways that could have played out, for example one blow to Miller from behind, knocking him out immediately followed by another to Whiteridge knocking her out too, But it seems that you are limiting yourself to scenarios that don't make sense in order to reach the conclusion that it couldn't possibly had been the two Burmese; in other words, tailoring your premises so that they lead to the conclusion you selected beforehand.

Aleg

Are you forgetting that there was indications he fought with his attacker

Oh, just a coincidence then. Add that to the coincidence that it was a couple days after they had their DNA samples taken, a day or so after the police announced the imminent arrest of the suspects and the biggest coincidence of all that those two men, out of the entire population of Koh Tao that were "framed" to be "scapegoats" by the police happened, just happened to had "found" David Miller's phone on the night of the murders, a phone that was found after their arrest.

Yep, all a series of unfortunate coincidences, sure, right. rolleyes.gif

Aleg

Can you provide a link for timing of their dna being taken

We are focusing on migrant workers because of the surrounding witnesses and evidence, including the video footage, Major General Kiattipong Khawsamang said in a public statement yesterday (Sept 16)"

AleG, if I write 'original suspects' or 'initial prime suspects' - we both know who I'm referring to.

Of course, Thai officialdom is going to try to focus on migrant workers when looking for suspects. It didn't stick initially in this case, but they got it to stick after working hard at it, while turning a blind eye to the original prime suspects (can you guess who I'm referring to?). Perhaps you're trying to get me to say their names, then they can slap defamation of character suits on me. That would bring a smile to some faces. I and dozens of other posters herein have already mentioned the original prime suspects hundreds of times. You know who they are. If you want to obfuscate and divert, you can do it to your heart's content.

Keep digging.... coffee1.gif

Aleg

No, there were indications that he may have fought with his attackers. Not the same, is it?

Aleg

Why don't you ask one of the armchair detectives claiming that the photo showing at least one of them in line to have samples taken proves (beyond any reasonable doubt) that they were tested and cleared before they were arrested? I'm not going to waste time looking for the date of that photo all over again so it can be ignored for the nth time.

Aleg

No, there were indications that he may have fought with his attackers. Not the same, is it?

Aleg

Why don't you ask one of the armchair detectives claiming that the photo showing at least one of them in line to have samples taken proves (beyond any reasonable doubt) that they were tested and cleared before they were arrested? I'm not going to waste time looking for the date of that photo all over again so it can be ignored for the nth time.

I am asking because of the claim that one of them fled a couple of days after having their dna taken, the photo you allude to is from around the 16th/17th september

AleG. Indication he fought with his attackers? Bruises to his hands and 5 or 6 1 inch wounds noted by pathologist.

Conveniently not explained by RTP.

If struck from behind as you claim and the reinaction then why the extra injuries?

Being hit on the back of the head with a hoe would of been enough to kill someone.

Archived