Building House in Chiang Rai - Cost Per m2

buddhafly

upcountry - 185 sq. meters for 1.3 million baht. Includes all granite floors and countertops in kitchen. NO aircon. do the math.

Yes, I heard about a similar amount of about 7000 Baht sq. meter. Even with a strong roofconstruction and ceramic roof tiles.

Surprisingly complete, even including things you expected to be extra's.

A good architect would certainly be worth ten percent on top. Did you find somebody Buddhafly?

Limbo :o

I just built a brand new house.

I think it is around 150 sq metres but I will check on it for you. 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a big kitchen, dining and family room. All grade A as they like to call it. Western finish including teak built in cupboards and granite benches.

All up including the kitchen and curtains etc. 1.2 m Baht.

This did not include the land.

I am very happy with the work and the quality.

Just remember that when they quote you per square metere that does not include alot of things.

eg Gutters 25,000

curtains 20,000 - 30,000 more if you want blinds.

fly screens and security bars..

shower glass 20,000

hot water system and alot more that I cant think of.

And when they quote you on Grade A materials it is only the lead in grade A price. We had to add on everything. The tiles in the quote were 150bt per sq metre but any good tile worth laying is at least 300 - 600 bt per sq metre.

Buddhafly just make sure you take the quote to a shop and compare the prices per square metre to what you like before you start building.

If you need any help just ask as I am happy to have a beer with you and go over any hurdles I had.

In The Rai!

In the Rai - sounds like a nice place. I'd be living in CR except the long-haired boss has to be close to her family. Any flooding near you? I've seen a lot on TV.

Teak cupboards is a nice touch.

I've got my land purchased. Thinking of building next January. I told one of my perspective builders I wanted the walls insulated and he told me to check out 'super block' whatever that is.

I'm guessing your price didn't include aircon.

LDB

1.2 is very damm cheap for inclusion of teak and so on, I cannot imagine that. Teak alone is 2500b to 3000b sqm and not laid.

Not the easiest country to deal in I tell you.

Sorry guys,

to clarify on the teak cupboards. They are not solid teak. I dont know how to explain it. I think it's like a teak particle board inside and than a solid teak layer (skin) so the cupboard doors etc are hollow if you can get what I am saying. The finish is fantastic.

We got the kitchen, bathroom, 2 rooms with wardrobes all for 85,000. So not that too cheap but it is well worth it.

The walls are all concrete except the ceiling which is compressed board. Ceiling is insulated though.

If anyone is interested in having a look please let me know. The house in right in town a stones throw from the police station. I am happy to show you.

In The Rai!

That would be Teak veeneer.

Still, 1.2 for 160sqm is only 7500b per sqm. That is very cheap really. Also did you say 5 bedrooms in this ?? That is amazing, I am building 340sqm and only have 3 bedrooms.

Did you get a boq from your builder, would love to go through the individual costs and charges.

Prices in Bkk are understandably somewhat more, but really should not be ridiculously more as its the same materials, same country etc.

Lovedablues...superblock is a relatively new, but been around for a few years now, building brick to replace the cement blocks that you see used a lot, mostly now for the boundary fences etc.

Superblock is stronger, much lighter and easier to use, you can cut channels in it for electrics and so on and you can cut the bricks with a normal saw etc to the exact size you need. They are much more heat resistant so make great exterior wall bricks and much better noise proofing. You do not need mortar to join them, you use a specific glue type material.

The price of a cement block is around 4.5b, the superblock for 70mm wide, but about twice the length I think, is around 18/19 b. So somewaht more expensive, but easier and quicker to use, also lighter for multi storey buildings and the cost should be saved elsewhere in the building by its advantage.

That would be Teak veeneer.

Still, 1.2 for 160sqm is only 7500b per sqm. That is very cheap really. Also did you say 5 bedrooms in this ?? That is amazing, I am building 340sqm and only have 3 bedrooms.

Did you get a boq from your builder, would love to go through the individual costs and charges.

Prices in Bkk are understandably somewhat more, but really should not be ridiculously more as its the same materials, same country etc.

Lovedablues...superblock is a relatively new, but been around for a few years now, building brick to replace the cement blocks that you see used a lot, mostly now for the boundary fences etc.

Superblock is stronger, much lighter and easier to use, you can cut channels in it for electrics and so on and you can cut the bricks with a normal saw etc to the exact size you need. They are much more heat resistant so make great exterior wall bricks and much better noise proofing. You do not need mortar to join them, you use a specific glue type material.

The price of a cement block is around 4.5b, the superblock for 70mm wide, but about twice the length I think, is around 18/19 b. So somewaht more expensive, but easier and quicker to use, also lighter for multi storey buildings and the cost should be saved elsewhere in the building by its advantage.

Labor in BKK probably a good bit higher but I really don't know. The killer with regards to building in BKK has to be the land price too. I got really lucky just picked up 5.5 rai for 460k. Guy needed a quick cash fix.

I think the Thai builder misunderstood me. I asked about insulated walls and he said "superblock". I figured it was some sort of insulated block. In the end I may just do the the Thai way and go with the small red brick for the walls.

Designing a house is hard! I'm trying to do it myself....lol.....harder than I thought!

Yes it is hard.

Be aware that your walls facing the sun will get hot, red brick is worse I think. The red brick here that you get can vary greatly, as does the price, cheap ones can crumble in your hand, the more expensive ones are cured well and are strong.

Same same cement block, this also gets hot.

Superblock is an insulative material, it works well and if you can afford it I would use it. With the sun beating down on a wall outside, with cement and brick, you put your hand to the wall and you will feel the heat inside. With superblock you will not, or at the most only a fraction. It is also much stronger than the weaker and poorer made red and cement bricks.

Again, if you can afford it, for great insullation, do a double brick wall with an air gap between the 2 walls. This works exceptionaly well.

Yes labour is more expensive here and certainly land is. But you never include the land in the building price as it is such a steep variable. I am talking about building materials and labour for the construction only.

Does the 5.5 rai have anything special going for it...ie views, river etc or is it just land same as any other land you see mile after mile ?

Hi,

What local buidlers/designers still fail to take into account is that C Rai actually falls (pun intended) in an earthquake zone. None to date have done any serious damage they say but it depends on how long you want to stay. It's only a matter of time.

As for cost for properly designed, structurally sound house with european standard MEP works proper septic tansk and the like will cost you around 10-12K per Sq. M. Unfurnished!

If your long haired boss is anything like mine that's where the expense really starts!!!!

Cheers,

happy building.

p.s. I built my house with superblock. Very, very easy no waste to speak of greta product but even this can act as a storage heater if your eaves overhang doesn't provide enough shade.

Yes it is hard.

Be aware that your walls facing the sun will get hot, red brick is worse I think. The red brick here that you get can vary greatly, as does the price, cheap ones can crumble in your hand, the more expensive ones are cured well and are strong.

Same same cement block, this also gets hot.

Superblock is an insulative material, it works well and if you can afford it I would use it. With the sun beating down on a wall outside, with cement and brick, you put your hand to the wall and you will feel the heat inside. With superblock you will not, or at the most only a fraction. It is also much stronger than the weaker and poorer made red and cement bricks.

Again, if you can afford it, for great insullation, do a double brick wall with an air gap between the 2 walls. This works exceptionaly well.

Yes labour is more expensive here and certainly land is. But you never include the land in the building price as it is such a steep variable. I am talking about building materials and labour for the construction only.

Does the 5.5 rai have anything special going for it...ie views, river etc or is it just land same as any other land you see mile after mile ?

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to check out this 'superblock' before too long.

Yea I realize one doesn't include land price in construction cost; guess I worded my post poorly.

Being in BKK you probably take a lot of things for granted. In the country you gotta look at everything. For instance, in my current rental house the cell phone signal is weak. Sometimes you have to go outside to make a call and sometimes the signal is too weak to send/receive.

My property (lol the wife's property) has this going for it besides the good price. It is located 1k from the main 'feeder' road into Udon Thani from the SouthWest. There are cell towers (AIS & Dtac) on this main road so cell signal is max strength. Also, I can get a phone line there so I can get off of Ipstar. The village water pressure is good; this is not always the case 'upcountry'. The nearest neighbor is about 100 yards away. :D It is only 6.5k to the Udon Thani airport and around 11k to the center of town.

So the bottom line is I'm far enough 'out' to enjoy clean air and quiet times and yet can be downtown in just a few minutes for banking, shopping, restaurants, etc. The views are really good; beautiful land but no lake or river. With all the flooding I'm seeing on TV it's probably a good thing no river or mountains are close.

LDB :o

Hi,

What local buidlers/designers still fail to take into account is that C Rai actually falls (pun intended) in an earthquake zone. None to date have done any serious damage they say but it depends on how long you want to stay. It's only a matter of time.

As for cost for properly designed, structurally sound house with european standard MEP works proper septic tansk and the like will cost you around 10-12K per Sq. M. Unfurnished!

If your long haired boss is anything like mine that's where the expense really starts!!!!

Cheers,

happy building.

p.s. I built my house with superblock. Very, very easy no waste to speak of greta product but even this can act as a storage heater if your eaves overhang doesn't provide enough shade.

Yea I read somewhere that there was a fault line running through Thailand. If a quake hits big trouble because the walls here are not load-bearing; they will just fall to pieces on the people inside.

Is this what you guys are talking about: http://www.superblock.co.th/company.htm

Looks more like 'panels' than 'block'....or can you get this product in any configuration you want? It says '6 times better heat insulation than brick' but doesn't state the 'R' value.....does anyone know the 'R' value?

Well I'm planning on spending the rest of my life here if they don't change the visa rules and kick me out :o . Dodgy gov't to say the least. Anyway, I'm going to spare no expense and build a really nice place because it's so much cheaper than the states. My wife's family has known the builder a long time and I've seen many of his houses.....very nice. He's building them for around 7,000 baht per square but as you said better materials etc. will drive the price up. Even at 10k per square thats only 2M baht for a 200 square meter house! Crap in the states a good kitchen re-model can run that much.

I'm havng 3 bedrooms, game room with pool table and card table, home theater room, and super kitchen for the wife who is a good cook.

Question: what are your power bills running and do you have aircon? Are you in CR? What size is your house?

LDB :D

thanks for the replies.

heres what ive found out...

i talked to a few different people. (thing to take note of, i am looking for a really interesting architectural style house.)

1. a very famous award winning thai architect in bangkok, who's designs always end up in the magazines and house books. he builds a piece of art, and it comes with everything top-end, and even all furnishings. close to 30,000 baht sq. meter. 2 yrs to build. conclusion: way out of my range. if i were a rock star, i' might do it.

2. an american/thai architect team in bangkok. nice group of guys. very open to collaboration. said to build to western standards, they would bring a special contractor up from bangkok. an atypical, interesting design about 15-18k per sq. meter. not including all interiors. think he ment not furnished.

conclusion: i liked these guys, they are trustworthy, on the up and up, but more than i want to spend again.

3.now i have decided to design my own house, (i was a student of design, and an armchair architect, so i enjoy it) and when my design is where i want it to be, i will share it with some thai architect/contractor/builder, have them point out my mistakes, oversights, have them draw up real plans, figure out the engineering of it etc. i have been using google's sketch-up program (you can download for free-its great) and building a number of foam board scale models. when i have it done, i will have 3 different arch./builders bid on it.

the first one is an architect/builder from chiang mai. i have seen some of his work. looks like quality. first conversation on phone with my thai missus he said without seeing design he'd have to guess about 8 to 12k per sq meter. but could vary either way. for good quality, i think thats a lot more reasonable.

then there are 2 others i will talk to.

i saw an official govt cost (by appraisal) i will attach here if i can.. it says about 8-12k also.

i think you can get stuff built for around 6 or 7k, but i do believe you get what you pay for. if youre satisfied with a simple place that might be ok.

Build_Costs.pdf

it sounds like concrete perimetr wall/ fence is about 1000 baht per linear meter? not as cheap as i hoped it would be.

anybody have info on chain link wire fence cost? it was quite popular in the west, and i have seen it in thailand.

is it cheaper?

i think it would be good to let breeze through etc....

any cost info appreciated.

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum & please treat me gently.

I am interested in land in the Chiang Rai area, and the price per rai is of interest to us, we are looking at approx: 15 Rai of bare land & it can be 20-50Kms (or even more) out of Chiang Rai. Views aren't necessary, but it mustn't be prone to flooding. Electricity availabe or close.

Can any of you kind contributors help me.

Best Regards

Allblack

We have had a barbwirefence built/put up and the costs for 650 m were:

concrete posts 2 m 65 bath each 262 pieces 17030 bath

wire 54 m 215 bath each 50 rolls 10750 bath

nails bag 150 nails a 40 bath 9 of them 360 bath

Labor 2 guys 7 days 2450 bath

--------------

30590 bath

Materialcost was included transport 9 km out in middle of nowhere with some very bad roads.

That is less than 50 bath per meter

I have not heard anyone building a wall for less than 540 bath per meter.

I will start to (re)build a wall after this rainseason and I expect it to cost at least 800 bath/meter.

svenivan-

you said you had barbwire fence... did you mean the type of fence that has 3 strings of barb wire, thats a total of about a meter high? or were you talking chainlink fence?

thanks

Hi buddhafly,

You can choose between 150 cm concretepoles or 200 cm poles. If you dig them down around 40 cm the fence will be up to 160 cm high depending on how many barbwires you put there. The long poles are constructed for up to 5 wires. We used only 4 wires.

The chainlink fence I know naaathing about!!

thanks svenivan... i had never considered that, but at 50 baht a meter versus 1000 for a concrete wall, it seems a pretty good idea.

as far as security, i imagine its about as good as a cement/concrete wall. in all trueness, if someone wants to get into your property, they can. a wall is just a deterrent.

the barb wire provides less visual privacy, but with plants and trees, the barbwire should be fine.

If you put the right kind of shrubs and let them grow high enough someone would have quite the task getting through. They literally would have to cut their way through and this would probably wake dogs etc..

Across the street from me is a really knarly, thick shrub of some kind. No way could you get through it without cutting.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

Hi, me again!!

I think in hindsight what would have been a better solution to heat exclusion would have been to use two 75 mm skins with (say) a 50 mm cavity as in old fashioned UK specs, rather than the 200 mm single skin that I used.

Make sure ceiling heights are good enough to keep the heat above head height too.

Most difficult element I found out here in the stix was finding a good MEP contractor who understood the necessity of lightning protection, good earthing and the like.

Yes my house in Chiang Rai. I have been building various large project in Thailand for the last twenty years would be happy to provide more detailed hints about where to go and who to speak to. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you my telephone number.

We don't have any AC units as, so far at least, we haven't found it necessary. We also use a solar panel for hot water which is plumbed throughout, two bathrooms, utility room and kitchen. We do quite a bit of cooking in an electric oven and "she who shall be obeyed" is always usiing the washing machine. With all this we decided on a 3 phase elec supply which makes the unit rate slightly higher than single phase. Our normal monthly elec bill is usually 1800 to 2100 baht.

Cheers