Doi Inthanon National Park - Price Increase

rob69

Alright everyone,

I visited Doi Inthanon National Park yesterday, and me and the missus were told that from 15 Sept, the price for a foreigner was increasing from 200 Baht to 400 Baht. The price for Thais (and other Asian Nationalites :D ) was also increasing from 20 Baht to 40 Baht.

My question therefore is, does anyone know if this will apply to all National Parks in Thailand? (just curious though i expect it will apply to all National Parks). :o

Alright everyone,

I visited Doi Inthanon National Park yesterday, and me and the missus were told that from 15 Sept, the price for a foreigner was increasing from 200 Baht to 400 Baht. The price for Thais (and other Asian Nationalites :D ) was also increasing from 20 Baht to 40 Baht.

My question therefore is, does anyone know if this will apply to all National Parks in Thailand? (just curious though i expect it will apply to all National Parks). :o

Scandalous! :D

It'll probably be all; or at least the ones that are well known like DI and Samet etc. Time to get yourself a Thai license if you haven't already, although some parks still won't let you in for local price with one... guess you'd need a work permit and be a tax payer to stand a better chance.

Alright everyone,

It'll probably be all; or at least the ones that are well known like DI and Samet etc. Time to get yourself a Thai license if you haven't already, although some parks still won't let you in for local price with one... guess you'd need a work permit and be a tax payer to stand a better chance.

I guess that they need to raise the prices as there will only be about 3 westerners left in the country! Gotta get the foreign revenue somehow!

Is the low price for Asians a new thing? I thought it was rip-off price for anyone that can't trace their family back to the Ayuytha dynasty!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright everyone,

Actually, you don't need a work permit to pay taxes OR get a Tax ID, which is very useful sometimes when they have a rule that says 'you must work', as in the case at my banks which are always asking for a work permit from me. I figured out that when they give me the interest, they have to take 15% in taxes themselves (Government requrement).. Anyway, beause of the fact that anyone with a work permit is going to pay taxes, they figure it is easier to ask for your Work Permit to show one as a taxpayer, which would mean that they didn't have to deduct money or do anything special with my account... Showing my tax ID does the same thing.

If one wants to get a tax ID, just go to your local tax office and ask for the card. Can come in handy here sometimes. :D

Edited by Ajarn

Alright everyone,

Actually, you don't need a work permit to pay taxes OR get a Tax ID, which is very useful sometimes when they have a rule that says 'you must work', as in the case at my banks which are always asking for a work permit from me. I figured out that when they give me the interest, they have to take 15% in taxes themselves (Government requrement).. Anyway, beause of the fact that anyone with a work permit is going to pay taxes, they figure it is easier to ask for your Work Permit to show one as a taxpayer, which would mean that they didn't have to deduct money or do anything special with my account... Showing my tax ID does the same thing.

If one wants to get a tax ID, just go to your local tax office and ask for the card. Can come in handy here sometimes. :D

Where is the local tax office here in Chiangmai ?

Alright everyone,

Isn't it behind the 3 Kings monument in the old city?

Alright everyone,

Isn't it behind the 3 Kings monument in the old city?

Thanks. I will check it out and come back on it.

My local tax office is opposite Charoen Muang post office. (Coming from river)After a car dealership (can't remember brand) you turn left (opposite the post office entrance). You will be going down a road with shophouses on either side. Tax office is near the end on left hand side.

PS Charoen Muang is the road with the railway station on it.

My local tax office is opposite Charoen Muang post office. (Coming from river)After a car dealership (can't remember brand) you turn left (opposite the post office entrance). You will be going down a road with shophouses on either side. Tax office is near the end on left hand side.

its the same row as Pandora's Massage to make directions simpler :o

Thanks for that Sally. I found it, but it was standing room only inside, so I decided that I would go back later.

For any of you guys who might be looking for it, it is on the same road as Pandora. Do your tax and get a good massage while in the area. Perhaps that is what I should have done today. :o

That's funny. I worked in three schools in northern Thailand, for wages, and once I even had income tax deducted. No work permit ever, no tax ID ever. Now I don't work, but have Thai driving license. So, I could have gotten a tax ID myself? Never heard that. I wonder what they did with the withheld income tax, with no tax ID # to tie it to. Party money?

I don't need a tax ID number if I'm not working, right?

Jackr

Time to get yourself a Thai license if you haven't already

Do you mean Driving License by this ?

Correct, Enigma. Can save a lot of hassle. :o

Thanks Jackr

I have one of those, next week I have to renew it, so it should be a 5year one, too. So thats doubly cool!

Getting one has saved me on the police Tea money fund, when they work out that my UK one is not international.

Enigma

Jackr

Thanks Jackr

I have one of those, next week I have to renew it, so it should be a 5year one, too. So thats doubly cool!

Getting one has saved me on the police Tea money fund, when they work out that my UK one is not international.

Enigma

Yep, just the same as last time with certifying your address down immigration, getting a medical (50-baht RAM etc) and having some more photos done - minus tests. About 500 for car, 50/100 for bike or thereabouts. :D

Jackr

Yep, just the same as last time with certifying your address down immigration, getting a medical (50-baht RAM etc) and having some more photos done - minus tests. About 500 for car, 50/100 for bike or thereabouts. :D

For renewal you shouldn't need medical test or letter from immigration.

Jackr

Correct, Enigma. Can save a lot of hassle. :D

Shouldn't, yes, but try doing it without them as I found out when sent back by the official at the license centre last year, unless everything has changed under Sonthi. :o

Jackr

Shouldn't, yes, but try doing it without them as I found out when sent back by the official at the license centre last year, unless everything has changed under Sonthi. :o

I have lived here for 21 years and have never gotten a Thai driving license... since 1990, no license at all. Best I have been able to figure, it could only help me with my car insurance. For the Parks, speaking Thai, or a business card with a local address has always been fine.

Jackr

I have lived here for 21 years and have never gotten a Thai driving license... since 1990, no license at all. Best I have been able to figure, it could only help me with my car insurance. For the Parks, speaking Thai, or a business card with a local address has always been fine.

For the ease of it all, and for those who can't worm their way into a NP without one (try getting into Chae Son cheaply even with a Thai tongue), notwithstanding being legal on the roads and the peace of mind of having one, it's defo a good idea in my book.

Perhaps you should try integrating a bit, Ajarn. :D

Jackr

A Thai driver's license can prove quite handy at times: not difficult or expensive especially if you have a license from your own country. I had to simply hand over a copy of my country license and pick out the numbers in a maze of colored dots; pay a little over a 100 baht for a car license and almost 100B for my M/C license. I now have a 5-year license they offered automatically after a few years. Next year my 5-year Thai license is up for renewal after a total of 14 years. Quite speedy service these days in Hang Dong across from Lanna Intl School... just don't forget to pick up a queue ticket.

Certainly a Thai driver's license could help with your insurance as this is the first thing most insurance companies have on their checklist to see if they have an easy opt out should you have an accident.

Would not want to chance a 1st Class insurance being compromised for not having a current Thai license. I believe your own country license or Intl Driver's License is good only for a few months, although many do continue to use them, or not, for years afterwards. No insurance or compromised insurance could see your estate go down the drain, especially as it seems it's always the farang's fault; or, if not, the police seem to think you would be doing the Thai driver, if his/her fault; a big favour as he probably has no insurance whatsoever -really nice of you farang, should there be several Thai autos/deaths/mutilations involved. Remember there exists a mindset still lingering out there: "This accident would not have happened had you not come to Thailand".

Jackr

A Thai driver's license can prove quite handy at times: not difficult or expensive especially if you have a license from your own country. I had to simply hand over a copy of my country license and pick out the numbers in a maze of colored dots; pay a little over a 100 baht for a car license and almost 100B for my M/C license. I now have a 5-year license they offered automatically after a few years. Next year my 5-year Thai license is up for renewal after a total of 14 years. Quite speedy service these days in Hang Dong across from Lanna Intl School... just don't forget to pick up a queue ticket.

Certainly a Thai driver's license could help with your insurance as this is the first thing most insurance companies have on their checklist to see if they have an easy opt out should you have an accident.

Would not want to chance a 1st Class insurance being compromised for not having a current Thai license. I believe your own country license or Intl Driver's License is good only for a few months, although many do continue to use them, or not, for years afterwards. No insurance or compromised insurance could see your estate go down the drain, especially as it seems it's always the farang's fault; or, if not, the police seem to think you would be doing the Thai driver, if his/her fault; a big favour as he probably has no insurance whatsoever -really nice of you farang, should there be several Thai autos/deaths/mutilations involved. Remember there exists a mindset still lingering out there: "This accident would not have happened had you not come to Thailand".

So, if I have an accident (Been driving here for 20 years without having even one), and if it is my fault, I may have to pay myself. As I have already suggested, I can easily live with that... What other benefit is there? None that I can see..