News On The New Regulation

will consulates issue a tourist visa to people with 3 or more 30 day stamps in their pp?

Now i'm more confused, no problem seem to happen every year about this time. anyways i originally had a marriage visa, but i was advise by immergration in Chiang Mai that i could get a 1 year retirement visa on the same day without waiting, so now i'm still married but enjoy getting a retirement visa each year , is that changing. i'm due on january 2 2007 or will i have to revert back to a marriage visa

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will consulates issue a tourist visa to people with 3 or more 30 day stamps in their pp?

Theres nothing which says they won't, what the Thai Embassy in Laos is now doing is refusing any more than 3 tourist visas per person however. I would have thought Malaysia/Penang will soon follow suit :o

Is it now too late to apply for the 3m investment visa? I realize there are only 15 days left this month.

We will check if it’s still possible in the morning. It sounds unlikely as you need to be approved by Oct 1st and you need to get a 30 day under consideration stamp first. However, if they still take the application now... maybe.

Will check and let you know.

For Sunbelt...........

What is the situation on Permanent Residence? Has that changed?

No changes

Also does your company deal with PR applications?

yes

Forgive me for being dim, but presumably many of these "illegal workers" who have been visa running will change to obtaining tourist visas from overseas consulates. How will that force them to get work pertmits and pay tax? They are simply changing from being a VOA long term tourist to a "visa issued overseas" long term tourist.

Or have I missed something?

Maybe the embassies will tighten the rules for issuing multiple tourist visas?

Good question Mobi D'Ark. This in our opinion will be the next letter, to the Consulates and Embassies. Don't hand visitor visas out like candy.

I met a chap on the aircraft to BKK in March 1999 who ran a business that involved him taking 12 trips to Thailand a year. He had a wife and a child in Bangkok.

As he made 12 trips a year Thai Airways gave him the 13th free.

If he is still operating his Thai export operation it looks like he could have problems ?

I wonder how many others are in this situation ?

He will now need to go legit or leave. This is who the government is going after so they pay tax.

A great many of ther business for sale on SBAsia are under 3 million baht. Thats not good for the business owners or SB.

How about investment in the Thai stock exchange? People may pull out or not bother.

The investment visa was never available if you invested in a business or the stock market anyway.

And what about the many many condo projects that are planned and in the process of being built. Alot of these condos must be bought by foreigners. What if you can t live in them?

Sometimes governments take one step back. This is what is happening because in their opinion, it is needed to clean the streets.

I can only see problems without any avenue for investment. I agree with maybe trying to stop illegal workers doing the visa run and not paying tax. All countries do this, but closing the door on investment?

Everything runs in cycles. The moon, ocean and even government decisions on being liberal or conservative.

How about as a spouse of a Monk, then as a dependent ?

Sorry no dependent visa for either a child or spouse if the Monk is a parent or spouse.

Thanks much for this information! I'm wondering how this affects those of us (visa runners) who have signed apartment contracts. Will we be released from our contracts early & security deposits returned....?

Someone today was crying at Immigration that he has a DVD player, cat, dog and 4 months left on his apartment lease. What should he do? Immigration said “Get a visa or leave” I’m sure no deposits will be released in most cases by the Landlord.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt, in addition to this, "If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate." Somewhere else, I think you said this six months is effective RETROACTIVELY as of October 1, 2006. In other words, the monthly visa runners who now have 3 to 83 one-month stamps in their passport, must leave the kingdom within the next thirty days, and go to a friendly enough consulate who will give them a real visa of some kind, IF that consulate thinks they deserve the visa, and feel like giving that visa to the queue that's 89 smelly farang long, going out the door.

So, hundreds of teachers who already have a contract until March 2007, must spend October leaving the country, hunting down a friendly consulate or embassy that costs less than 50,000 to visit, right? Teachers whose employers (Thai schools) never could trouble themselves to follow Thai law, right?

If this had happened two years ago, I would have simply broken my contract and never taught in Thailand again.

Oh it is great to be 50+ year old male with a retirement visa living correctly in the LOS.

Where as before many on here looked down on us so called oldies and said we losers and only here for the young girls because we couldn't get a lady over seas. How the world changers.

Most not all of us, are nothing like that, we respect the laws of this country, times are a changing for you so called young men. Do it the right way and all will be well. If not move on to where the rules are more laxed.

I understand there will be some problems for some, but in your heart of hearts, you knew you were bending the rules as you stepped on the buses that took you over the borders.

I wish you all luck in getting over your problems :o

Good to see it's clear now. Clearly another measure introduced withouth properly thinking this trough.

Two observations:

This is the end of Thailand as a travel hub for southeast Asia.

Airlines are going to get mental over this, how are they suppose to check is someone is illegible for entry into Thailand. Obviously they cannot rely just on the Passport and the stamps inside, (People could be on a brand new Passport) Somehow I doubt they will get into the thai immigration online system to check.

Remember as far as I know, the airlines are responsible if someone is refused entry due to visa regualations. With the current system it is simple for the airlines, and they might only refuse people who do not comply with the onward ticket requirement for visa exemption.

So if enough people are going to refused at the airport, with all the hassles associated, before you know it, all airlines are going to require Tourist visas for all passengers, regardless if they are on the 41 country list.

This in potention could have a great impact on tourism.

Absolutely-the airlines will very very quickly decide that if no tourist visa at least is in passport that you do not fly.

Your check in queues to Bangkok will be horrendous.

New passport-"Sorry Sir you need a tourist visa at least for us to accept you for passage"

why so difficult, send you passport by courier to a consulate, let the courier pick it up and pay your 170 euro or 200 dollar for a year tourist visa. Available anywhere in Europe.
No, there is no “a year tourist visa”

Yes, you can, without leaving Thailand, send your passport abroad and arrange somehow to get a new visa stamped in it. There was a report in this forum not too long ago by somebody who did this, and here’s a summary of his experience:

-- He left Thailand and entered Cambodia. No problem.

-- He returned from Cambodia and entered Thailand. No problem, except that he got only a visa-exempt 30-day entry stamp in his passport, not a period of permitted stay based on that visa.

So you see, you are right, it can be done but it serves no purpose. A total waste of money. And, for all you know, a flag in Immigration’s computer database.

---------------

Maestro

Oh it is great to be 50+ year old male with a retirement visa living correctly in the LOS.

Where as before many on here looked down on us so called oldies and said we losers and only here for the young girls because we couldn't get a lady over seas. How the world changers.

Most not all of us, are nothing like that, we respect the laws of this country, times are a changing for you so called young men. Do it the right way and all will be well. If not move on to where the rules are more laxed.

I understand there will be some problems for some, but in your heart of hearts, you knew you were bending the rules as you stepped on the buses that took you over the borders.

I wish you all luck in getting over your problems :o

here here :D

hi guys..

so why do people want multiple tourist visa's anyway?

surely 30 or 60 days is enough for a holiday - and thats what these tourist visa's are for.

if you are working or staying in thailand why dont you get a work or retirement or dependants visa?

i dont think that there is anything wrong here with the new visa requirements - just people trying to get around the law - for whatever reason - probably tax or insurance or just simply black employment ....

so what do such people ( multiple tourist visa ) do for a living? how do they get money? one assumes its all illigal?

so i guess thats why the thai authorities are trying to tighten up on them?

amarka :o

For those familiar with the penang run and have got visas there.

Do they ask for proof of finances as stated in the visa info on this site. It says they ask to see proof that you have 20,000Baht when issuing the visa.

Is this common?

I know with the 30-day visas they very rarely ask to see proof of finances on arrival at thai border, I was once asked in the northern border of Mae Sai, but never have been in Poi pet.

T.

When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

This sounds like another desperate TRT scheme to raise revenue for its populist policies. It won't work, of course, since the visa-runners who work here don't have permits because they don't qualify, not because they are trying to evade taxes. If the government wants more tax money from foreigners they should make work permits easier to get.

hi guys..

surely 30 or 60 days is enough for a holiday - and thats what these tourist visa's are for.

if you are working or staying in thailand why dont you get a work or retirement or dependants visa?

i dont think that there is anything wrong here with the new visa requirements - just people trying to get around the law - for whatever reason - probably tax or insurance or just simply black employment ....

so what do such people ( multiple tourist visa ) do for a living? how do they get money? one assumes its all illigal?

Some people need these visas because they are retired, under 50 and don't trust investing money in the country which seems to make since taking all of this into account. They need a retired visa for the young people. You don't have to be old to retire.

"5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax."

If this is the complete story, then a person from one of the 60 day Tourist visa and 30 day visa on arrival countries could spend five out of every six months in Thailand, or spend most of their time in Thailand and just leave every 60 days and return with an embassy issued Tourist visa. For example: A first time visitor could enter Thailand with a 60 day Tourist visa, at the end of 60 days do three border runs for visas on arrival, then either a.) leave the country every 60 days for another embassy issued 60 Tourist visa, or b.) leave the country for a little over 30 days and return with another 60 day Tourist visa and do another three border runs. The trick here would be to make sure that before each border run you have no more than two visas on arrival in the preceding six months.

The trick is as long as you got a tourist visa after the three entries. What happens if the Embassy issuing the visa, won't give it to you? Questions are going to be asked, mark my words.

If the new rules are implemented this way it would allow long term stay visitors to stay for up to 150 days then leave just long enough for the Thai government to ensure we are still financially self-supporting. This is not as convenient as the current system but it is reasonable. Now the big question is: Will the new rules be enforced this way, or will Thai embassies put a 90 day wait on issuing Tourist visas to people who have just left Thailand?

Our feeling is the Thai Embassy you go to will be asking questions. You may get the visa but then again...

Sunbelt, in addition to this, "If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate." Somewhere else, I think you said this six months is effective RETROACTIVELY as of October 1, 2006. In other words, the monthly visa runners who now have 3 to 83 one-month stamps in their passport, must leave the kingdom within the next thirty days, and go to a friendly enough consulate who will give them a real visa of some kind, IF that consulate thinks they deserve the visa, and feel like giving that visa to the queue that's 89 smelly farang long, going out the door.

So, hundreds of teachers who already have a contract until March 2007, must spend October leaving the country, hunting down a friendly consulate or embassy that costs less than 50,000 to visit, right? Teachers whose employers (Thai schools) never could trouble themselves to follow Thai law, right?

This is who Immigration is going after, people working without a work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

hi guys..

Some people need these visas because they are retired, under 50 and don't trust investing money in the country which seems to make since taking all of this into account. They need a retired visa for the young people. You don't have to be old to retire.

hi jbsears,

yes - that sounds ok. but how do people prove they have enough money to retire on?

its easy to move money around for a few days to get a visa.

maybe a different story if one could prove income or pension payments?

but i guess that most can't.

amarka :D

If you happen to be refused boading at the airport for a flight to Thailand just get the cheapest possible onward ticket to a destination out side of Thailand from Air Asia. You'd only be looking at around 1,500 Baht including tax.

Greg has said if you have MORE than 3 VOA stamps in your passport within 6 months you will be refused entry. So that would mean 3 stamps is fine and 4 will be too many, am I right Greg?

Sunbeltasia,

Can you tell me if anything will change regarding extensions on the non-immigrant B visas? I have been getting one through my local consulate in each of the past three years.

Thanks,

osten

No changes yet.

Have requirements for non-immigrant O changed?

I know many people who dont have 800k in a Thai bank and get a new non-imm O every 3 months..

Is this still possible?

Seems to have gone up quickly, from 200k, then 400k, and now 800k

Still possible at 800K in the bank or 65K income per month.

Greg has said if you have MORE than 3 VOA stamps in your passport within 6 months you will be refused entry. So that would mean 3 stamps is fine and 4 will be too many, am I right Greg?

Yes unless you have a visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

hi guys..

hi jbsears,

yes - that sounds ok. but how do people prove they have enough money to retire on?

its easy to move money around for a few days to get a visa.

maybe a different story if one could prove income or pension payments?

hi all...

i am actually interested in what all these "multiple visa" applicants actually do in thailand... i mean for a living/money.

surely they can all be "retired"?

illegal workers" who have been visa running will change to obtaining tourist visas from overseas consulates. How will that force them to get work pertmits and pay tax?

Maybe? Though i dont think this is totally directed at ONLY illegal workers. But from what i can understand by talking to someone today. They are trying to target some criminals in places like Pattaya! Not my words. Just what i heard! How about the government making it easier for teachers to get a work permit? Just because you have a degree. Doesn't mean you can teach! Seems like alot of / whats and what ifs! We can only wait and see!

Jockstar you are spot on! A degree does NOT mean you can teach, especially when Thais often make judgements on a teacher's competence by whether they like them or not! Personality, politeness, and professionalism count for more in LOS.

By the way, Immigration Department don't care about degrees for teachers, it is the Education Minister that you should be speaking to. If teachers have professional teaching qualifications recognised internationally, whether they have a degree or not, it is high time Thai authorities recognised this, as both Government schools, even Government ministries have (excepting Education!)

Perhaps obtaining a WP would be just that much easier??

Laulen

Thank you Sunbelt Asia for helping all of us who are worried.

How strict is the date 1 October anyway? As I understand it, the "rundown" has acctually already started. My case is as follows:

I have 3 Visa On Arrivals in my passport and planning a trip to Hong Kong this weekend. When I come back to Bangkok on 24 September, can I still do so with another VOS?

Simply: Is the policy already started or does it start on arrivals after 1 October 2006?

How does this affect business people coming in and out of Thailand more than three times a year? I guess this means they need to get a B Visa from their local Thai Consulate - correct? Have the rules changed for these visas? I seem to recall it was pretty easy to get - but that was around five years ago..

By the way, I don't see how changing these VOA rules will force people to pay tax..You could have a B or O Visa and still work illegally.

My view is you should always try to do things the legal way. The rate of taxation here is very low anyway - around 10% or less. Just get legal is my advice.

Now the big question is: Will the new rules be enforced this way, or will Thai embassies put a 90 day wait on issuing Tourist visas to people who have just left Thailand?

First : thank you to Sun Belt to come with a very assertive explaination.

However, we have to keep in mind that : it could change again...

Regarding the question of visa exemption (30 days stamps) versus proper tourist visas...

As I said before : don't think that Immigration is stupid enough to let this door open.

Otherwise, what's the point to crackdown on 30 days stamps ?

You can be sure (if of course, all this story is real, and that the last version reported by Sun Belt is the good one) that thai embassies around the world won't give tourists 90 days visas, like a machine gun.

[[

hi guys..

I can

hi all...

i am actually interested in what all these "multiple visa" applicants actually do in thailand... i mean for a living/money.

surely they can all be "retired"? If they were retired they would have a Retirment visa not the multiple one you mention. :o

When you have a retirement visa you do NOT need a multiple visa only a re entry visa unless you think you will come in and out more than one time then you will need a multy re entry visa :D

You can not have a Retirement visa and work in Thailand at the same time