Fastest way to travel from singapore airport to thai embassy

Hi guys

I fly tomorrow to singapore to do a non b visa but my flight depart don mueang at 6:20 and lands 9:40am. My question is will I have enough time to make it at the embassy on time to apply and if yes what is the fastest way to travel to the embassy from the airport?

Thank you guys.

Getting from Changi to Tanglin (Orchard) where the embassy is may be tricky on the MRT as there would be two changeovers, your best option is a cab, I havent been in morning traffic in SG for a while but around 10am should be ok. Expect to be robbed by the taxi driver, even though the meter IS running!

That's an expensive visa run!

Taxi unless you know and understand the metro system

http://www.changiairport.com/getting-around/to-and-from-airport/trains-mrt

+1 ^^^, the embassy is close to Orchard metro station but it needs 2 changes of train if coming from the airport.

Jump in a taxi, he will know where to go and will speak English.

Go back on the train if you're on a budget.

Taxi is under $S20 and takes 30-40 minutes only

I have NEVER EVER been robbed by an Taxi driver in Singapore or ever paid more thna what was on the meter!!!

Most are great guys to chat wth

This. ^^^

In addition, you can also pay by credit/debit card if you want and you'll always get a receipt.

I take this morning flight frequently, and there is no traffic problem at this hour. I would strongly recommend a taxi if you are on a short timeline. Should be 20-30 SGD, totally hassle free (don't listen to the usual TV horror stories).

Note that you will have to stay overnight if this is a visa application matter. Pick up next day and take taxi or MRT back. It's easy to find the MRT at Orchard from the embassy.

Taxi is under $S20 and takes 30-40 minutes only

I have NEVER EVER been robbed by an Taxi driver in Singapore or ever paid more thna what was on the meter!!!

Most are great guys to chat wth

This. ^^^

In addition, you can also pay by credit/debit card if you want and you'll always get a receipt.

Beware, not all drivers take credit cards & none of them accept Visa anymore but as has been said, Singapore Taxi drivers are honest & rates are set by law (Should be s$25-30 including the s$5 airport charge).

Coming back, get on the red line to City Hall, cross the platform to the Green Line to Tanah Merah, cross the platform to the Green Line to Changi... Used to take me about 45-50mins when working at CBP (1 stop before Changi).

Edited by JB300

Most of the people here are bang-on (ignore suggestions that you will be 'robbed'). The taxis here are honest and efficient - it's a tightly regulated industry. Nothing to worry about. (I could complain about them on other issues, but nothing of relevance to your situation).

Last piece of advice: if they offer you a Chrysler taxi (see here: http://www.taxisingapore.com/limousine-taxi/chrysler-cab/), just tell the taxi coordinator at the airport that you want a regular taxi. The Chryslers are uncommon but very expensive - about twice the price. Singaporeans avoid them, so sometimes unknowing tourists are directed to them (or won't refuse them if offered).

I believed that visa application is only done the morning. Better to get a taxi immediate from airport and arrive early to get a good queue number. Think you need to stay 1 day for collection next day afternoon. Call them to check.

Getting from Changi to Tanglin (Orchard) where the embassy is may be tricky on the MRT as there would be two changeovers, your best option is a cab, I havent been in morning traffic in SG for a while but around 10am should be ok. Expect to be robbed by the taxi driver, even though the meter IS running!

Huh? Have lived in Singapore for 15 years and no idea what you're talking about. Frequency-wise, they're the most honest cabbies I've come across in my travels. Yeah, there's the occasional rip-off, but it's very rare - the government goes hard on any driver caught doing funny business, and all the taxi companies are government linked. The Singapore government is also very sensitive about it's image re efficiency and honesty. So no, the OP will not get 'robbed' in any sense of the term.

Apologies. I didn't mean the taxi driver would literally rob. Just a reference to it being expensive there even by meter.

Nice to see some posters here get excited and jump in defence of singaporeans. A thai taxi driver however has a long way to go before that happens.

Sorry but again I have to disagree with you, for a 1st World country, Taxis in Singapore are cheap.

The OP journey from the airport will be about s$25, it would be 4 times that for the 15 miles from Manchester Airport to my house & probably 8 times that if dealing with London cabbies.

• Like 1

Sorry but again I have to disagree with you, for a 1st World country, Taxis in Singapore are cheap.

The OP journey from the airport will be about s$25, it would be 4 times that for the 15 miles from Manchester Airport to my house & probably 8 times that if dealing with London cabbies.

Ok comparing to the UK, taxis are cheap.........I'm just doing a quick calculation, seems the SGD is down and the last time I took a cad from Changi (February) was 35 SGD, no bags, going to Tanjong Pagar. Thats about 875 baht! I've almost spent as much on occasion from Don Mueng, so take it back.

I can't seem to edit the original post I made so I'll continue to take a bashing about the SG taxi drivers. Lovely folk most of the time, always a story to boot.

• Like 1

Huh? Have lived in Singapore for 15 years and no idea what you're talking about. Frequency-wise, they're the most honest cabbies I've come across in my travels. Yeah, there's the occasional rip-off, but it's very rare - the government goes hard on any driver caught doing funny business, and all the taxi companies are government linked. The Singapore government is also very sensitive about it's image re efficiency and honesty. So no, the OP will not get 'robbed' in any sense of the term.

Quite correct as the taxi's are strictly regulated, I once registered a complaint as the driver took me on a scenic tour rather than the AYE. I kept the receipt and emailed the details into the relevant department, less than a week later I received a phone call to confirm the details. The result was a voucher to be used on the taxi system later and a further email and phone call to explain that the driver had been suspended and would require "retraining"

The previous advice is spot on as the taxi is the way to go, as previously posted decline the Chrysler 300 as they are more expensive (on a long run like the airport substantially so)

For entertainment ask the driver what he thought of Lee Kuan Yew and his governments policies, the thirty minutes or so into Orchard Road will fly in... :)

Ok comparing to the UK, taxis are cheap.........I'm just doing a quick calculation, seems the SGD is down and the last time I took a cad from Changi (February) was 35 SGD, no bags, going to Tanjong Pagar. Thats about 875 baht! I've almost spent as much on occasion from Don Mueng, so take it back.

I can't seem to edit the original post I made so I'll continue to take a bashing about the SG taxi drivers. Lovely folk most of the time, always a story to boot.

Perhaps you ended up in one of the premium taxis: mercedes or worse, Chrysler. I live about 80% of the distance to Tanjong Pagar, and I usually pay around SGD$20 for the trip (remember to convert your currency!). Bags or not, makes no difference - it's just what's on the meter. Also, if you arrived during rush hour or late at night, there are also additional charges... I think 50% surcharge after midnight. So these things add up if you have bad luck on the timing. Perhaps that's what happened in your case.

I was in Laos last month (Pakse), and the bloody tuk tuks are more expensive than Singaporean taxis!

Er, unlikely, unless they've changed the times. It would certainly be cutting it close, since you need to apply in the morning, before 12.00 lunchtime closing, and collect in the afternoon the next day. It'll likely involve two nights in a hotel.

For future reference, you can certainly fly to HCMC, apply same day, and fly back the next.

Hi guys

So I arrived there this morning and took a taxi as i got adviced. Took 15 minute to get to the embassy and costed me 20 dollars. At the embassy it was like 30 min wait until I could give my paperwork and now just at the hotel waiting to pick my passport tomorrow. Thanks for your advices people.

So you're telling me I got ripped then .....5555

DOnt sit around the hotel, go out and enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

Hi guys

So I arrived there this morning and took a taxi as i got adviced. Took 15 minute to get to the embassy and costed me 20 dollars. At the embassy it was like 30 min wait until I could give my paperwork and now just at the hotel waiting to pick my passport tomorrow. Thanks for your advices people.

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you. Cheers.

It might not be relevant to the OP but just to let you guys know...

Starting price of taxis different for each type but from $3-$5

Meter jump $0.22 both 45 sec and 220 meters after the first km(more for limo cab)

Peak hours (25%) from 0600 hrs - 0930 hrs

1800 hrs - 0000 hrs

Mid-night (50%) from 0000 hrs - 0600 hrs

Airport sub-charge $3 (except Friday, Saturday and Sunday 1700 hrs -0000 hrs

Peak hours (25%) from 0600 hrs - 0930 hrs

1800 hrs - 0000 hrs

Mid-night (50%) from 0000 hrs - 0600 hrs

Airport sub-charge $3 (except Friday, Saturday and Sunday 1700 hrs - 0000 hrs $5)

CBD sub-charge $3 (1700 hrs - 0000 hrs)

Current booking $3.30 peak hour and $2.30 anytime(more for limo cab)

Advance booking $8(more for limo cab)