Evaluate the Best Shot Competition May 2015

Kan Win

Some good idea's there folks,

I was actually thinking about stopping the competition for the month of December.so that Tywais has a clear field for

organizing his annual Calender competition,that in my eyes gets priority over everything.

Some good idea's there folks,

I was actually thinking about stopping the competition for the month of December.so that Tywais has a clear field for

organizing his annual Calender competition,that in my eyes gets priority over everything.

We must remember too, that Tywais, will want contributions in a larger size format, for printing... so selected photos, will need to be re-uploaded by the winners !!

Some time may be needed for that too!!! whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Some amazing photos, including those in the Gallery which do not appear to conform to the rules of the competition. When or where did anyone see Brazilian Macaws in full flight over Thailand. It is a beautiful photo and should be placed in a more open competition.

Some amazing photos, including those in the Gallery which do not appear to conform to the rules of the competition. When or where did anyone see Brazilian Macaws in full flight over Thailand. It is a beautiful photo and should be placed in a more open competition.

Valid point there fgmr,this was also brought to my attention by another member.I did send the member that posted the Macaws photo a PM,

asking him to verify where the photo was actually taken.Unfortunately I received no reply back,and so had to give him the benefit of the

doubt and let the photo stand.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks

Am not being lazy here BUT was thinking about scrapping the 'Gallery' we have now and replacing it with the photos that got a 20+ 'like' vote!

Also was thinking about setting up a second thread for the winning images of every month (also add the link for that month's competition).

Your thoughts please

Cheers

Shaggy

I think most would agree that "likes" are handed out quite liberally here on this forum and for good reason, it a means of encouraging other members and showing appreciation for their willingness to share their images. It's not a great metric for judging a contest. That said, I've seen numerous on-line contests like this and here are two possible solutions that I have seen employed on other contests:

1. Allow members to submit photos and people can "like" all they want to. However at the end of the month, ask the members to post one vote each for their favourite photo. The top three vote-getters win. Then post the top maybe 6 images to the gallery.

2. Let the moderator choose the first winners. From that point on, the first place winner then selects the winners from the following month's contest. They can pick the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners and three honourable mentions. These then are added to the gallery.

However, if neither of these ideas are satisfactory then I would suggest just including the top 6 images ("likes") each month to be included in the gallery; the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners and three honourable mentions. This would tend to make the gallery something more special than a near duplicate of the contest thread.

Ok,back on topic........Evaluate the Best Shot Competition

I did underestimate how popular the competition would be,and maybe set the amount of likes too low (and who was it that said getting 10 votes would be difficult?)

No problem,just means more happy people getting their photos into the gallery,which of course means me putting in more time to transfer them.Think the last comp

in total took me just under 5 hours (split over 3 days).facepalm.gif

This is where it could getting interesting!!!

It seems that news of our competition has reached the folks at the top (don't know how that happened biggrin.png ),and they have kindly agreed to sponsor the competition

by the way of a prize/prizes for the winning shot/shots thumbsup.gif ,when I know more I will inform you.

This gave me the idea of setting up another topic 'Best of the Best Shots'(pinned, same as the gallery).The top/winning pics from every month would be added along

with a link back to that months competition.

Your thoughts please.

I would like to suggest that the top winning pics are brought together to form an annual calendar perhaps another Title to the one already issued by ThaiVisa!

... I would suggest just including the top 6 images ("likes") each month to be included in the gallery; the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners and three honourable mentions. This would tend to make the gallery something more special than a near duplicate of the contest thread.

Not really a friend of "Competitions" (Art/Photography isn't a clear cut 100m sprint...).

But for the easiest handling Fiddlesticks suggestion is the best approach.

Archived