Irish man claims his house, land worth Bt65 million defrauded

Thaivisa News

I saw that on TV yesterday. What the police spokeman explained was that the house was in the wife name. She used it as collateral for a loan she couldn't pay back. They went to court, the wife lost and the house was repossessed. Case closed. Unfortunetly a very common story.[/quot

You're assuming that what the spokesperson said is true. TIT

No - the 'wife' was not a wife but a housekeeper. She was committed to prison for 17 years for fraud, theft and forgery. The money lenders who conspired, perhaps plotted with others would be a better description, actually threatened the woman having lured her in, and knew precisely what they were doing. The bank involved through their local manager, known to the money lenders and a land agent used a 'paid for' ID as cover for a purchase of this 25+ million baht house for 2.5 million covered by a 10 million baht mortgage registered on the same day. The person who was used had several convictions on unpaid loans and no job. The bank lent another 3 million to this person supposedly a short time later because no repayments were made and she needed some money, the bank manager explained.

Even with the huge body of evidence and a criminal conviction he could still not get the house defrauded from the company back. In fact the money lenders sued the imprisoned fraudster for possession of the house but the court somehow came up with a judgement that Mr Vard PAY compensation of well over 300,000 baht to the money lenders. Police in Phuket have been working to stop criminal complaints being lodged against the lawyer who made the original claim designed to lose and submitted with a forged signature, a politician who successfully blocked Vard as Director of his company using a forged sognature of the still registered jailed Director - to stop Vard claiming in court under the company name, and many other people.

The case is far more complicated than even this explanation but it is certainly not a simple matter of ex-wife steals home but far more intricate corruption and fraud. If his company was defrauded of 60 million baht of equipment perhaps there would be less animosity here. The fact is property is a registered asset that can easily get stolen and the complete lack of Justice coming out of the judicial process and complicity of local police who protect their criminal mates.

If you are wondering why I have so much information, it is because I am closely studying this case and have seen the relevant documents. Not that any of this will be of any interest to the 'serves him right' brigade of losers on here.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not your typical fool and money , this is a real case of corruption, an authentic researcher /journalist has looked into this, Andrew Drummond, not the normal trash found and spurted out by this website

Why should Thai government care about a Farang being ripped off?

This man probably left his family at home for a good f*** in Thailand and some quick money out of the country. Wonder if he'd ever remembered his family if he would have succeeded.

I saw that on TV yesterday. What the police spokeman explained was that the house was in the wife name. She used it as collateral for a loan she couldn't pay back. They went to court, the wife lost and the house was repossessed. Case closed. Unfortunetly a very common story.[/quot

You're assuming that what the spokesperson said is true. TIT

No - the 'wife' was not a wife but a housekeeper. She was committed to prison for 17 years for fraud, theft and forgery. The money lenders who conspired, perhaps plotted with others would be a better description, actually threatened the woman having lured her in, and knew precisely what they were doing. The bank involved through their local manager, known to the money lenders and a land agent used a 'paid for' ID as cover for a purchase of this 25+ million baht house for 2.5 million covered by a 10 million baht mortgage registered on the same day. The person who was used had several convictions on unpaid loans and no job. The bank lent another 3 million to this person supposedly a short time later because no repayments were made and she needed some money, the bank manager explained.

Even with the huge body of evidence and a criminal conviction he could still not get the house defrauded from the company back. In fact the money lenders sued the imprisoned fraudster for possession of the house but the court somehow came up with a judgement that Mr Vard PAY compensation of well over 300,000 baht to the money lenders. Police in Phuket have been working to stop criminal complaints being lodged against the lawyer who made the original claim designed to lose and submitted with a forged signature, a politician who successfully blocked Vard as Director of his company using a forged sognature of the still registered jailed Director - to stop Vard claiming in court under the company name, and many other people.

The case is far more complicated than even this explanation but it is certainly not a simple matter of ex-wife steals home but far more intricate corruption and fraud. If his company was defrauded of 60 million baht of equipment perhaps there would be less animosity here. The fact is property is a registered asset that can easily get stolen and the complete lack of Justice coming out of the judicial process and complicity of local police who protect their criminal mates.

If you are wondering why I have so much information, it is because I am closely studying this case and have seen the relevant documents. Not that any of this will be of any interest to the 'serves him right' brigade of losers on here.

Just to put the icing on the cake' you may be interested to know that the land plot which the money lenders first stole was actually just a plot of land forming the garden. There was no house on it that they claimed they had bought. The house was on an adjoining Chanote which the bank manager assisted to steal and which resulted in the threats to the fraudster because the money lenders realized they had screwed up, not that it made any difference to the judge in the Civil case who actually refused a whole lot of evidence, presumably because Vard was an interpleader against the possession attempt, dismissed the evidence of the bank manager because he basically did not say anything and still left the bank with its mortgage on the house.

That now becomes the responsibility of Mr Vards company unless the bank is going to keep extending loans to the 'Proxy' they used as they did the last time she couldn't pay. It is fraud, theft and money laundering plain and simple and the court judgement leaves the real criminals with all the fruits of their crime, it is truly mind blowing.

For more than 20 years now......It is not recommended you buy land and or a house property in Phuket....as there is far too much chance you will be scammed and cheated...sooner or later.

Cheers

Not recommended by who for 20 years?

Is that just Phuket, or does the person, or persons not recommending include the rest of Thailand?

By people who know better than to take the chance and the risks involved buying land or house properties using a Thai national acting as proxy.

Phuket more so than most other places in Thailand...with Pattaya being second place

Not recommended, By people who asked around and did their due diligence and they were told it is not easy for a foreigner to own land or house property and think twice about using a Thai person as a proxy.

By the people that have lived here for over 20 years while they have heard this sort of true life story and or similar stories for as long as they have lived here....over and over and over and over again, to the point of ad nausea.

Cheers

This man probably left his family at home for a good f*** in Thailand and some quick money out of the country. Wonder if he'd ever remembered his family if he would have succeeded.

A particularly moronic comment given his kids are with him here and have been all the time.

Tell me is there any shortage of trolls on here, a guy and his family have had everything stolen on them, they are fellow expats and from what i read, just drivel comes out of some people statements, quick and short troll comments, have you guys no intelligence or emphaty, what if it happened to you or your best mate or your family??

2 children locked in a water well and only for a neighbour found them they could have died!

Properties stolen with the full knowledge fo the family lawyer.

Trolls should be banned and their IP blocked in such circumstances. The whole meaning of an expat community is the word Community, a place of support and protection

Just because someone has an opinion that you do not agree with does not make the comment a troll posting.

This man comes to Thailand, starts spending huge amounts of money without any understanding of what he is getting into an still believed he owned something.

He was destined to become a victim the moment he stepped off the plane, and there will be many more behind him.

Yes I feel sorry for him, but before splashing out huge sums of money in a foreign land he needs to read up and understand what due diligence is all about.

He had a lawyer. That's what due diligence is all about. He didn't think he owned something. He thought he leased something. Before you comment, how about due diligence?

Foolish man... he clearly does not understand Thailand.

Or he doesn't understand the laws of karma - I wonder i he ever cheated anyone when owning the Phuket Property Developmentblink.png

Pathetic using his children to fight his battles.

This is not your typical fool and money , this is a real case of corruption, an authentic researcher /journalist has looked into this, Andrew Drummond, not the normal trash found and spurted out by this website

Those may be the facts...but it is still not readily recommend that a foreigner purchase land or house property here in Thailand as this sort of corrupt manipulation is not uncommon while there is very little chance he and or all the others will see any justice or compensation at all.

I personally know of three cases of property fraud that were halted by way of a foreigner friend of mine.

He helped 3 other foreigners being defrauded by Thais, who conspired to cheat the foreigners on the land or house properties they had in their Thai names...as proxy for the foreigner owners.

My friend is not popular at all with many of the local Thais in his up country city, having intervened and put a stop to their deception, cheating ways and fraud.

The bitter truth concerning foreigners purchasing land or house properties in Thailand.

Buyer beware.

Cheers

It's Thailand. Nothing surprises me. Doing business in the Third World is not for those without connections.

My investment partner in Australia, it takes a crook to know other crooks, used to call it 'Sovereign Risk'. Investing in land

or property in another country. Especially South East Asia.

Too easy to lose and be unable to get it back.

He would have been better to invest that sort of money in his own country.

A typical Thai morality tale, showing the width and depth of corruption in the Land of Smiles, with police, land officials and lawyers allegedly aiding and abetting crooked bankers and property brokers to rip off yet another gullible falang.

Set up a business here as a foreigner - any business, from a bar to a big corporation - and you are simply inviting shoals of indigenous sharks to a feeding frenzy.

The victim in this case is to be congratulated for dragging the sordid reality of Thailand'st commercial marketplace into the public arena.

With ASEAN cross-border trade set to boom, the generals need urgently to crack down on these cynical scams, which have become as embedded in Thai business culture as the word Blackpool in a stick of seaside rock.

Sadly a far too common story, certainly not exclusive to Phuket.

We know of a similar case in the North East of Thailand right now but thankfully not for that sort of money, small change in comparison but still not the sort of amount you would want to wipe your mouth of.

....hopefully reform against corruption preached by this government will benefit foreigners too...

...there is enough inormation here for the army to investigate.....

..people come here with love in their hearts...ready to share all they have......

...and this is often the result.....

...I am there too right now.....

...it's just not right....and obviously so..........

crying.gif

Somyot said some cases

have apparently ruled by court.

Anyone have a clue what this means?

D'oh.. he is saying that probably not much can be done in respect of some parts of the complaint as they have already had a court ruling..finished

I saw that on TV yesterday. What the police spokeman explained was that the house was in the wife name. She used it as collateral for a loan she couldn't pay back. They went to court, the wife lost and the house was repossessed. Case closed. Unfortunetly a very common story.

Easily fixed before he was married.Due diligence and not just lawyers.

The problem here is that as soon as money lands it becomes the property of all Thai people. If you bring it and lose it its your own fault for not making sure it stayed yours.

If you are a money hogging, selfish person you will have it but not have much else.

There will be Thai people trying to get some of it by whatever means they can dream up so be warned.

Buy a safe and put the safe in your house but dont bother to put anything you want to keep inside. You need to find a very clever hiding place somewhere else. Let them come and steal your safe, Leave a note inside saying "Better Luck Next Time" but dont make it easy for them.

Thai people cant seem to take care of their money and lose it very easily. They then try to find any means they can to get it back without any consideration. It doesnt matter if its family even, They will do whatever it takes.

It would seem good ones are rare so you have found a good one lucky you, look after them but always be ready for what their relatives may try to do.

A particularly moronic comment given his kids are with him here and have been all the time.

Sorry, this wasn't so clear. Are his kids Thai?

Been following this case closely. Story keeps changing. The ex wife was brought in as a maid then Colin had relations with her and the son was born. He after decided he preferred freedom and the relationship was to come to an end. Unfortunately he had added her to his properties and she was also collecting his rent from the various properties. Needless to say she lost the plot and allegedly with a katoey friend threw the two kids down a well when the father was off somewhere for a couple days. Properties were sold without Colin knowing (forged signature- of course very illegal) and she did a runner upcountry. At some point she took the son with her which he characterized as kidnapping as she wanted money to give the son back. Finally he found her and pursued a court case that left her in jail. Whole saga is on Drummond's website in various interviews over the years.

Now the story is she was just an innocent victim of a gang of crooks. No doubt some people conspired with her but she doesn't appear to be innocent at all.

He jailed his missus!!!He's got more things to worry about than losing his money.

Somyot said some cases have apparently ruled by court.

Anyone have a clue what this means?

Yes,

It means there is bugger all the Police can do to help!

The court has ruled and made a judgement so the Police cannot step in for a compromise between the parties.

The man has been cheated but most of it is down to his stupid wife who herself was conned into taking out loans from sharks for her gambling. They saw the riches, either through her boasting or by other means, and moved in for the kill.

I DEFINITELY feel sorry for the man. I don't think he was a fool at all to manage to put that kind of money together in the first place. He must be reasonably astute.

Also, I have seen his son on Facebook video, a very young man but intelligent and fantastic English explaining what happened in this case, and explained it step by step for the public to understand. This child has been extremely well educated!!

The Irish man sought justice through legal representation, how was he to know rotten apples were going to bunch together. His wife appears stupid to me. Why did she need to gamble when they had such a good set up and carry on with houses and land plots. GREEDY STUPID WOMAN! but we see this all too often.

Sadly, these crooks, scumbags and Thai lawyers ( equally scumbags) know their way around the law and have exploited this. They even then used filthy tactics and local thugs to chase a man and his two children out of Phuket.

I think the chain is too long and fear the man may have lost the lot and I sympathise greatly with him and his children.

To those saying only gamble what you can afford to lose,If we all gambled in life or business only " what we could afford to lose " We might as well bury it in the garden and do nothing.

You never owned any of it so get a grip.

The old saying. "Only put in to Thailand what you can afford to lose"

What would you have done if it happened to you?

The old saying "Only put into something what you can afford to lose" is nonsense. What about "Speculate to accumulate" then. Isn't that a direct contradiction?

No one in their right mind wants to lose anything so this crappy saying is just an ill thought out comment made up decades ago by some rich <deleted> trying to preach to the poor.

"Look at me and how rich I am cos I wasnt stupid enough to risk losing all my money like you did Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner......" is what it really says. It stinks of Pompousness and lacks Sympathy in my opinion.

scouse123 i don't disagree with your first couple of lines, however the children are half Thai half Irish, the children are teens, this is a stable family not your average bar stuff, a normal relationship with relativly intelligent people involved, from the look of the story the wife got taken for a ride too, and it seems your preconceived ideas about women are spouted,

I have sympathy for this guy and his family, I really do. But this story is a perfect example of how the expat dream can quickly turn into a nightmare.

Thailand's laws on land ownership are quite clear and because of these laws, foreigners who end up in the position of Mr Vard stand little chance and are often left with nothing. Mr Vard isn't the first foreigner this kind of thing has happened to and he certainly wont be the last.

Of course, I'm sure there is much more to this story and I'm only going off the article in the OP.

However, whilst a substantial amount there is more to life than a house in Phuket.

For the moment at least it seems Mr Vard has his health and safety and the health and safety of his children.

I admire this guy for standing up and fighting for what he believes is his but if I was in his position, I think I would admit when defeated and if possible, start a new life with my children somewhere else.

I wish Mr Vard the best of luck.

I have little sympathy for the greedy.

I hope you're referring to the alleged defrauders in this case, and not the Irish guy. Otherwise, you have a very strange definition of greed.

Money is like an addictive drug, the addiction is called greed, and investors are usually junkies. No special pardon for Farangs.

I have sympathy for this guy and his family, I really do. But this story is a perfect example of how the expat dream can quickly turn into a nightmare.

Thailand's laws on land ownership are quite clear and because of these laws, foreigners who end up in the position of Mr Vard stand little chance and are often left with nothing. Mr Vard isn't the first foreigner this kind of thing has happened to and he certainly wont be the last.

Of course, I'm sure there is much more to this story and I'm only going off the article in the OP.

However, whilst a substantial amount there is more to life than a house in Phuket.

For the moment at least it seems Mr Vard has his health and safety and the health and safety of his children.

I admire this guy for standing up and fighting for what he believes is his but if I was in his position, I think I would admit when defeated and if possible, start a new life with my children somewhere else.

I wish Mr Vard the best of luck.

Blimey!

How many more times must the facts be laid out?

HE DIDN'T OWN THE LAND. HE LEASED IT.

HIS SIGNATURE WAS FORGED TO MAKE THE LEASE NULL AND VOID.

Yes, I'm shouting.

Archived